Question for gun lovers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:23:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Question for gun lovers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you own a firearm that meets the following criteria?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Question for gun lovers  (Read 1776 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2016, 11:56:50 PM »
« edited: June 22, 2016, 12:05:02 AM by L'exquisite Douleur »

Do you currently own any sort of firearm that you have never used and is not in any way useful for hunting or where you already have guns for hunting that can do so in a far superior manner, and would not be useful for self defense and it's too large and cumbersome to carry concealed and to complex to immediately get ready with in the event of a home invader...and thus serves no purpose other than to "defend against tyranny"? AKA do you own any guns for no reason other than the off chance that one day the US falls under a tyrannical dictatorial government and you must wage an armed rebellion against it?

Obligatory notice before anyone gives an irrelevant answer: I have no problem with people who own guns for the purpose of hunting* or who have valid self defense concerns.

*Well sort of, I think hunting purely for sport is a barbaric and disgusting practice, but I have just as low an opinion of people who do so by bow hunting or using traps.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 12:32:30 AM »

No. Although if I showed it to you, you would probably say yes, since its a super scary evil assault boomstick whose only purpose is teh killz! I have placed stickers on the stock to make it look less threatening.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 02:17:33 AM »

Yes, I own many firearms some passed down from family others inquired myself. 

I carry everyday, sometimes 2 guns and a knife.  Sometimes openly or concealed.

I have hunting rifles such as my marlin .35 or 22 mag although I like to consider it my sniper rife (jokes). I must admit though I haven't been deer hunting in a long time prob 10 years so these guns are really just display items now and occasional target range.

Yes, my other class of guns from the AR15 ,mini 14, Mossberg 12ga, twin Ruger sr9 pistols ,Glock 20 ... are mainly for 2 legged critters or should I say self-defense.   As for the tranny question, yes I do believe I have enough guns and ammo to hold out at least a day.  Home invaders are going to get a taste of those nasty 5.56 AR-15 nato rds or possibly buckshot.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 02:20:29 AM »

As for the tranny question, yes I do believe I have enough guns and ammo to hold out at least a day.

Goodness me, the debate over bathroom access has taken a nasty turn.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:08:30 AM »

Yes, I own many firearms some passed down from family others inquired myself. 

I have hunting rifles such as my marlin .35 or 22 mag although I like to consider it my sniper rife (jokes). I must admit though I haven't been deer hunting in a long time prob 10 years so these guns are really just display items now and occasional target range.

Yes, my other class of guns from the AR15 ,mini 14, Mossberg 12ga, twin Ruger sr9 pistols ,Glock 20 ... are mainly for 2 legged critters or should I say self-defense.   As for the tranny question, yes I do believe I have enough guns and ammo to hold out at least a day.  Home invaders are going to get a taste of those nasty 5.56 AR-15 nato rds or possibly buckshot.

That has nothing to do with the OP's question although with your typical coherence I can't say I'm surprised.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 12:06:45 PM »

Opposing excessive gun control =/= being a gun lover, so I'm not qualified to take this BRTD Survey™.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 02:40:54 PM »

Sometimes you carry 2 guns and a knife on your person? What possible reason do you have for this? Do you live in Somalia or something?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 03:47:18 PM »

Sometimes you carry 2 guns and a knife on your person? What possible reason do you have for this? Do you live in Somalia or something?

So, you think it'd be legitimate to do that for his own protection if he lived in Somalia?  Because there are neighborhoods in our country every bit as dangerous as Somalia.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 06:40:26 PM »

Primary weapon and back up 380 on my ankle . The knife is more of a get the f××× off me and or utility tool.  Ever saw someone trapped in a car wreck and couldn't get out because the seat belt?    Depending on circumstances or attire limitations i may only carry one gun.

In light of recent events the mini 14 will be in the car.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 06:42:57 PM »

Wow ^ very creepy.  You don't need three weapons to protect yourself!  This is why only the police should have guns.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 07:07:52 PM »

So, you think it'd be legitimate to do that for his own protection if he lived in Somalia?  Because there are neighborhoods in our country every bit as dangerous as Somalia.
Not outside of prison there aren't. Have you been to Somalia?

Carrying 2 guns and a knife is just stupid. Why don't you wear a vest and helmet while you're at it? The point of carrying a gun is to maybe save your life in an emergency, not to get into an extended shootout. The only explanation for this is that you have hero fantasies where you confront Mohammad trying to blow up a dirty bomb in downtown Atlanta and save the day by putting lead through his heart. Small knives are useful to carry around - I keep a razor blade in my wallet. You don't need a weapon-size knife to do basic utility jobs.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 07:15:15 PM »

Wow ^ very creepy.  You don't need three weapons to protect yourself!  This is why only the police should have guns.

Lol. Why do the police need so many weapons then? They usually carry at least 3 weapons as well. If a private person is trained as well as a cop, I see no real reason why they shouldn't be allowed to be crazy over-protective as long as they aren't hurting anyone. Like people who buy volcano insurance, or who stockpile rice and bottled water in case of doomsday or won't  ride on airplanes out of crash fears. Yeah, we may think its unnecessary or silly, but I don't see how this is evidence for disarmament or something to fret about. I mean, does anyone really NEED life insurance or a backup server? Seems like a point and laugh then move on moment. And you'll probably have the last laugh except in the 1 in a Billion chance where he may need all of those weapons.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 07:16:23 PM »

It would be odd to find a gun owner who has never used all the guns they own. I do have a 22 rifle passed down I haven't shot in years though.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 07:21:58 PM »

Most of the rabid gun lovers in this country are far removed from the horrors of gun violence.  They live in their remote, isolated towns where they never have to worry about their kids walking to school and being shot on the way in a drive-by.  If it was their community being ravaged by guns, they would think quite differently.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 07:54:14 PM »

Most of the rabid gun lovers in this country are far removed from the horrors of gun violence.  They live in their remote, isolated towns where they never have to worry about their kids walking to school and being shot on the way in a drive-by.  If it was their community being ravaged by guns, they would think quite differently.

BUT THEIR COMMUNITIES AREN'T.  People in VT and WY are peacefully exercising their RIGHT to firearms.  They can't control what psychos do with that right.

None of this is to argue against background checks, closing loopholes, keeping those on the no-fly list from buying or even an assault weapons ban, all of which I support (with the last one being tentative).  But your argument is just dumb.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 07:56:12 PM »

Carrying 2 guns and a knife is just stupid. Why don't you wear a vest and helmet while you're at it? The point of carrying a gun is to maybe save your life in an emergency, not to get into an extended shootout. The only explanation for this is that you have hero fantasies where you confront Mohammad trying to blow up a dirty bomb in downtown Atlanta and save the day by putting lead through his heart. Small knives are useful to carry around - I keep a razor blade in my wallet. You don't need a weapon-size knife to do basic utility jobs.

Self defense is self defense.  I'm not here to judge someone who might feel more comfortable having a backup gun (say they're tackled and it falls out of place, I don't know), even if I personally think it's strange and creepy.

What I personally think has nothing to do with it.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 08:07:13 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2016, 08:08:58 PM by Brown Line »

BUT THEIR COMMUNITIES AREN'T.  People in VT and WY are peacefully exercising their RIGHT to firearms.  They can't control what psychos do with that right.

None of this is to argue against background checks, closing loopholes, keeping those on the no-fly list from buying or even an assault weapons ban, all of which I support (with the last one being tentative).  But your argument is just dumb.

Why should the people of inner city Chicago or Detroit care if gun owners in bum**** Idaho are peacefully coexisting with each other?  What is that doing for their kids, who are dying on the streets?  They're not peacefully coexisting in their communities, but they have to follow the same gun laws as everyone else.  And it's not the mentally ill who are committing most of the gun crime in America.   So if you're arguing that people in Idaho shouldn't have to "suffer" because people in Chicago are shooting each other, I don't know what to say.

And I'm not trying to direct any anger at you, just saying what I think.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 08:10:10 PM »

I love it when people with the same avatar fight.
Panda Express

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 09:03:48 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2016, 09:10:36 PM by Vox Populi »

Wow ^ very creepy.  You don't need three weapons to protect yourself!  This is why only the police should have guns.

Lol. Why do the police need so many weapons then?

Because so much of the general population is armed? This is such a dumb argument. The police are ALWAYS going to be more armed than the average public. So the more you people arm yourselves, the more the police are going to arm themselves. Look at the police in various countries in Europe or Japan or elsewhere where guns are restricted. The police aren't nearly as armed. Why is that you think?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 09:20:58 PM »

Its not a bowie knife dude.    Carring two guns primary and a backup isnt uncommon actually.   But like I said the circumstances and or type of environment will dictate what i carry on a given day.   

Don't worry you would never know i was armed unless i openly carried.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »

Most of the rabid gun lovers in this country are far removed from the horrors of gun violence.  They live in their remote, isolated towns where they never have to worry about their kids walking to school and being shot on the way in a drive-by.  If it was their community being ravaged by guns, they would think quite differently.

BUT THEIR COMMUNITIES AREN'T.  People in VT and WY are peacefully exercising their RIGHT to firearms.  They can't control what psychos do with that right.

None of this is to argue against background checks, closing loopholes, keeping those on the no-fly list from buying or even an assault weapons ban, all of which I support (with the last one being tentative).  But your argument is just dumb.

Why should the people of inner city Chicago or Detroit care if gun owners in bum**** Idaho are peacefully coexisting with each other?  What is that doing for their kids, who are dying on the streets?  They're not peacefully coexisting in their communities, but they have to follow the same gun laws as everyone else.  And it's not the mentally ill who are committing most of the gun crime in America.   So if you're arguing that people in Idaho shouldn't have to "suffer" because people in Chicago are shooting each other, I don't know what to say.

Why should the people BFE Idaho care about the non-peaceful people in Chicago?  They should "suffer" bear attacks because of poorly, unfairly enforced drug laws in Chicago? 

As if taking away the hunting rifle from the family in Idaho is going to stop gun violence in Chicago anyway..... 
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 10:14:19 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2016, 10:19:23 PM by Brown Line »

BUT THEIR COMMUNITIES AREN'T.  People in VT and WY are peacefully exercising their RIGHT to firearms.  They can't control what psychos do with that right.

None of this is to argue against background checks, closing loopholes, keeping those on the no-fly list from buying or even an assault weapons ban, all of which I support (with the last one being tentative).  But your argument is just dumb.

Why should the people of inner city Chicago or Detroit care if gun owners in bum**** Idaho are peacefully coexisting with each other?  What is that doing for their kids, who are dying on the streets?  They're not peacefully coexisting in their communities, but they have to follow the same gun laws as everyone else.  And it's not the mentally ill who are committing most of the gun crime in America.   So if you're arguing that people in Idaho shouldn't have to "suffer" because people in Chicago are shooting each other, I don't know what to say.

Why should the people BFE Idaho care about the non-peaceful people in Chicago?  They should "suffer" bear attacks because of poorly, unfairly enforced drug laws in Chicago?  

As if taking away the hunting rifle from the family in Idaho is going to stop gun violence in Chicago anyway.....

A lot of the people dying in Chicago are peaceful, not just gangbangers.  The crossfire is killing (or injuring) a lot of people too.  And since we have nationwide gun laws (due to the second amendment mandating it), it's not possible to restrict guns in one state and allow them in others.  It's a 30 minute drive from the South Side of Chicago to Indiana anyway.

If you're that worried about hunting rifles, sure, we can make exceptions.  Many other countries around the world allow hunting while still not having a 2nd amendment.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 10:23:03 PM »

If you're that worried about hunting rifles, sure, we can make exceptions.  Many other countries around the world allow hunting while still not having a 2nd amendment.
"In over 200 years, we haven't amended the Bill of Rights. Now is no time to start." - Ted Kennedy

For once, I agree with Ted. That is a very slippery slope.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 10:25:58 PM »

"In over 200 years, we haven't amended the Bill of Rights. Now is no time to start." - Ted Kennedy

For once, I agree with Ted. That is a very slippery slope.

I mean, that's a factually true statement, OK.  But times undoubtedly change.  When the amendment was written, there wasn't a gun in the world that could have killed as many people as Omar Mateen did in so quickly.  That's also a fact.  We've changed the constitution many times.  It's not always a bad thing.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2016, 06:22:52 AM »

Primary weapon and back up 380 on my ankle . The knife is more of a get the f××× off me and or utility tool.  Ever saw someone trapped in a car wreck and couldn't get out because the seat belt?    Depending on circumstances or attire limitations i may only carry one gun.

In light of recent events the mini 14 will be in the car.

I swear, you're like something out of a stereotype coloring book.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies