Scott Walker: Delegates should be able to vote how they want at RNC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:56:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Scott Walker: Delegates should be able to vote how they want at RNC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Scott Walker: Delegates should be able to vote how they want at RNC  (Read 1098 times)
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 22, 2016, 12:59:09 AM »

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/284335-scott-walker-convention-delegates-should-vote-as-they-see
Scott Walker has broken with party leadership and says delegates should be able to vote how they see fit at the RNC.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 01:08:30 AM »

I don't see this as breaking with party leadership.  Paul Ryan, for example, has basically said that he doesn't care if the delegates decide to "go nuclear" or not:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/19/paul-ryan-donald-trump-republican-convention
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 01:13:46 AM »

I don't see this as breaking with party leadership.  Paul Ryan, for example, has basically said that he doesn't care if the delegates decide to "go nuclear" or not:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/19/paul-ryan-donald-trump-republican-convention

I mean like Reince preibus for instance
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 01:15:07 AM »

This is wrong.  I want the nuclear option as much as anyone but Trump won those delegates fair and square.  You can't just change the rules because you don't like him... you have to beat him.  There's still time but Republicans have to stop being wimps with this "I support the nominee of the party" crap.  Come out in unison against Trump and bully him out of the race.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 01:23:29 AM »

You can't just change the rules because you don't like him... you have to beat him.  There's still time but Republicans have to stop being wimps with this "I support the nominee of the party" crap.  Come out in unison against Trump and bully him out of the race.

I don't see how your first two sentences work together.  Either the voting in the primaries should determine the nominee or it shouldn't.  If it should, then it is already too late, and there isn't still time.  Trump has already won.  If it shouldn't, then they'll have a vote at the convention, to see if they want to nominate Trump or not.  If the majority there don't want him, and they vote against him, then they're not being wimps, saying that they "support the nominee".  They're actually going way out on a limb by rejecting him.  So which is it?
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 01:58:17 AM »

You can't just change the rules because you don't like him... you have to beat him.  There's still time but Republicans have to stop being wimps with this "I support the nominee of the party" crap.  Come out in unison against Trump and bully him out of the race.

I don't see how your first two sentences work together.  Either the voting in the primaries should determine the nominee or it shouldn't.  If it should, then it is already too late, and there isn't still time.  Trump has already won.  If it shouldn't, then they'll have a vote at the convention, to see if they want to nominate Trump or not.  If the majority there don't want him, and they vote against him, then they're not being wimps, saying that they "support the nominee".  They're actually going way out on a limb by rejecting him.  So which is it?

Your whole post makes no sense.  If the GOP wants to defeat Trump and eradicate him from the party then they should all be doing what Mitt Romney is doing.  Treat him like a bacterial infection they desperately need to get rid of rather than accepting their ugliness.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 02:13:51 AM »

Trump did win fairly so I don't see the need for the delegates to be allowed to pick another ticket, even if I would be happy with that.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 02:14:00 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2016, 02:16:18 AM by Seriously? »

Yeah, every single delegate should revolt and vote for Scott Walker instead. The guy lasted what? One debate? Two debates? Obviously he was not very good at campaigning to get any bound delegates.

The rules are what the rules are. Delegates are bound by the rules. Trump won these delegates fair and square. He has enough of them to gain the nomination.

If the Republicans change the rules mid-stream, they are no better than Democrats as far as I am concerned. The party will be dead to me and the 14 million other folks that voted for Trump in the primary.

These whining RINOs should just shut up, hold their nose and vote for the nominee, just like those that didn't like the RINO candidates like Romney, McCain and Dole that were shoved down our throats in previous cycles did. Or sit out the election. This campaigning against the nominee must end.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 02:18:07 AM »

Yeah, every single delegate should revolt and vote for Scott Walker instead. The guy lasted what? One debate? Two debates? Obviously he was not very good at campaigning to get any bound delegates.

The rules are what the rules are. Delegates are bound by the rules. Trump won these delegates fair and square. He has enough of them to gain the nomination.

If the Republicans change the rules mid-stream, they are no better than Democrats as far as I am concerned. The party will be dead to me and the 14 million other folks that voted for Trump in the primary.

These whining RINOs should just shut up, hold their nose and vote for the nominee, just like those that didn't like the RINO candidates like Romney, McCain and Dole that were shoved down our throats in previous cycles did. Or sit out the election. This campaigning against the nominee must end.

How exactly would that make them "no better than Democrats"? Democrats didn't suspend democracy in 3 states like the GOP did.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 02:20:02 AM »

Your whole post makes no sense.  If the GOP wants to defeat Trump and eradicate him from the party then they should all be doing what Mitt Romney is doing.  Treat him like a bacterial infection they desperately need to get rid of rather than accepting their ugliness.

What?  I don’t understand.  There is no “the GOP”.  There are individual leaders and individual delegates, all with different opinions on Trump.  Some of them are doing what Mitt Romney is doing, by saying they won’t support Trump in the general election, while others aren’t.  Some are trying to change the rules at the convention so that someone other than Trump is nominated, and others aren’t.

But anyway, you didn’t answer my question.  In your earlier post, you said “You can't just change the rules because you don't like him.”  What does that mean?  That they shouldn’t change the rules, because it would be unfair?  If they don’t change the rules, then Trump is the nominee.  But then in the next sentence you say that there’s still time to beat him.  You can only beat him for the nomination by changing the rules.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2016, 02:36:36 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2016, 02:38:24 AM by Seriously? »

How exactly would that make them "no better than Democrats"? Democrats didn't suspend democracy in 3 states like the GOP did.

Rules don't apply to Democrats as much as they do to Republicans. Or at least that's how I see it. Ask Hillary! about those pesky secrecy and FOIA rules and her home brew server.

And it was the Democrat-lead Southern states that left the union, if you want to get technical.

If you are referring to ND and CO not holding primaries, that's within the party rules. Not sure what you mean by "suspending democracy."
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2016, 02:40:57 AM »

Rules don't apply to Democrats as much as they do to Republicans. Or at least that's how I see it. Ask Hillary! about those pesky secrecy and FOIA rules and her home brew server.

And it was the Democrat-lead Southern states that left the union, if you want to get technical.

If you are referring to ND and CO not holding primaries, that's within the party rules. Not sure what you mean by "suspending democracy."

LOL, now you're contradicting yourself for the sake of justifying your partisan hackery. If every state held "contests" like ND/CO, Trump would've been lucky to get 100 delegates despite his huge lead in the polls.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 02:47:31 AM »

You and SillyAmerican have a knack for choosing appropriate nicks.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 02:50:09 AM »

OK, what's the point of primaries if delegates are to be unbound?

Just go back to the smoke-filled room already. Otherwise, since you allowed Trump to happen, deal with the consequences.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 02:52:25 AM »

LOL, now you're contradicting yourself for the sake of justifying your partisan hackery. If every state held "contests" like ND/CO, Trump would've been lucky to get 100 delegates despite his huge lead in the polls.
Trump would not have even run in the GOP primaries if that were the case. Parties are private organizations and have no obligation to be "democratic".
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 02:55:42 AM »

Just go back to the smoke-filled room already. Otherwise, since you allowed Trump to happen, deal with the consequences.

I'm all in favor of going back to the smoke-filled room.  Deciding nominations by primaries is kind of a failed experiment, IMHO.  However, if the Republicans actually want to do that, then it would make more sense to do it in 2020.  Doing so in 2016, after the primaries have already been held...seems problematic.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 03:12:57 AM »

Trump would not have even run in the GOP primaries if that were the case. Parties are private organizations and have no obligation to be "democratic".

And if "Seriously?" subscribes to that thought process, then he has no right to complain if they install Scott Walker as the nominee. Which is exactly why he contradicted himself.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2016, 03:59:18 AM »

With the way Trumps campaign looks a dug up Skelton of Nixon would at least be tied in the polls with Hillary.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2016, 04:26:15 AM »
« Edited: July 18, 2016, 04:59:45 PM by eeveergreen »

LOL, now you're contradicting yourself for the sake of justifying your partisan hackery. If every state held "contests" like ND/CO, T***p would've been lucky to get 100 delegates despite his huge lead in the polls.
T***p would not have even run in the GOP primaries if that were the case. Parties are private organizations and have no obligation to be "democratic".
Just go back to the smoke-filled room already. Otherwise, since you allowed T***p to happen, deal with the consequences.

I'm all in favor of going back to the smoke-filled room.  Deciding nominations by primaries is kind of a failed experiment, IMHO.  However, if the Republicans actually want to do that, then it would make more sense to do it in 2020.  Doing so in 2016, after the primaries have already been held...seems problematic.

i would agree with this sentiment a lot more if the u.s.'s two-party system weren't so firmly entrenched, but considering how many races there are where the primary is effectively the "real" election…
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2016, 05:21:36 AM »

Eh, sorry, you had your chance to stop Trump.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2016, 05:54:39 AM »

What does it say to GOP primary voter that their votes can be negated by a vote of national convention delegates?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2016, 06:13:53 AM »

What does it say to GOP primary voter that their votes can be negated by a vote of national convention delegates?

I don't know what it says, but it's a fact.  Same is true of the Dems.  The delegates could vote to throw out the existing rules and replace them with new ones if they really wanted to.  I don't think they will, but they could if they really wanted to.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2016, 08:00:17 AM »

I don't know what it says, but it's a fact.  Same is true of the Dems.  The delegates could vote to throw out the existing rules and replace them with new ones if they really wanted to.  I don't think they will, but they could if they really wanted to.

Morden is correct. Primaries for president are not the same as those for other offices. All a presidential primary does is get delegates to the national convention. The party is a private organization and may change its convention rules.

Except in a few states a primary win is not necessary to get on the Nov ballot. Sure, winning a primary for an office like state representative places that person on the general election ballot, and that's how most candidates get to the general election. However, getting an independent or third party nod typically does not require a primary win to get on the ballot. In IL if a major party runs no one in a primary, a person can even use that party's slot to get directly on the Nov ballot.

I think that only states with a top two jungle primary force all candidates to go through a primary, and only allow those candidates who won the primary to be on the Nov ballot.
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »

I agree with Walker, even though he probably won't be the compromise choice. 
jollyschwa
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -9.04

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2016, 09:37:56 AM »

Eh, sorry, you had your chance to stop Trump.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies