John Lewis leads sit-in on House Floor to pass gun control legislation.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:54:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  John Lewis leads sit-in on House Floor to pass gun control legislation.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: John Lewis leads sit-in on House Floor to pass gun control legislation.  (Read 2727 times)
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 09:39:47 PM »

Everyone knows my bias on this issue, but i'm finding it really hard to take the Dems seriously on this issue when they weren't willing to vote for the Cornyn bill. Yeah it wasn't the 5 steps forward that they wanted (all no-fly list people banned), but it was at least 1 step forward (all no-fly list people face a brief waiting period during which the Feds can get a court order I.E. minimal due process). The only real justification I've seen for the Dems to vote against it is so they can run ads saying "na na na na GOP luvs terristz". Why wouldn't the "do something anything" vote for the bill that could actually pass other than politics?

Amen. It's a bit hard to take them seriously.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 09:41:27 PM »

I'm so glad I no longer identify with that party.

So am I.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 09:42:39 PM »

Everyone knows my bias on this issue, but i'm finding it really hard to take the Dems seriously on this issue when they weren't willing to vote for the Cornyn bill. Yeah it wasn't the 5 steps forward that they wanted (all no-fly list people banned), but it was at least 1 step forward (all no-fly list people face a brief waiting period during which the Feds can get a court order I.E. minimal due process). The only real justification I've seen for the Dems to vote against it is so they can run ads saying "na na na na GOP luvs terristz". Why wouldn't the "do something anything" vote for the bill that could actually pass other than politics?

My thoughts exactly.  I'd love to see a Democrat actually rebut this.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 09:45:01 PM »

Get the capital police to remove them and continue on with real issues

Like another Obamacare repeal or a bill on bathrooms?
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 09:46:49 PM »

Remember when Republicans did this and Pelosi shut off the lights?

What issue we they sitting in on? Because it probably wasn't gun control.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 09:54:35 PM »

House Democrats are now in complete chaos in the House now.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 09:57:18 PM »

They sang "We Shall Overcome".
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2016, 09:58:36 PM »

As Trump would say:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZCzHYMEIeo
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »

My thoughts exactly.  I'd love to see a Democrat actually rebut this.

Because the 72 hour waiting period is totally meaningless. What is the point of putting people on that list in the first place if they're deemed to be potentially dangerous enough to be banned from planes but not buy weapons? Buying a gun and shooting up a place is a hell of a lot easier than hijacking a plane and crashing it or getting past security with a bomb.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 10:02:41 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2016, 10:05:24 PM by Brown Line »

My thoughts exactly.  I'd love to see a Democrat actually rebut this.

Because the 72 hour waiting period is totally meaningless. What is the point of putting people on that list in the first place if they're deemed to be potentially dangerous enough to be banned from planes but not buy weapons? Buying a gun and shooting up a place is a hell of a lot easier than hijacking a plane and crashing it or getting past security with a bomb.

Isn't 72 hours enough time for the government to put forward evidence as to why someone is too dangerous to buy a gun?  A lot of people on the No-Fly List are just unfortunate to share the same name as a terrorist.  Is that enough reason to punish them?

And anyways, isn't it a good thing that we are forcing the government to back up their No-Fly list with actual evidence?  Right now, what's the recourse if you get put on the list?  What evidence does the government have to put forward to support it?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 10:04:42 PM »

Go Democrats!
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2016, 10:07:15 PM »

What an embarrassment on the House floor right now. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2016, 10:09:20 PM »

Remember when Republicans did this and Pelosi shut off the lights?

What issue we they sitting in on? Because it probably wasn't gun control.
Obamacare. They didn't stay all night, allowed business to continue.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2016, 10:10:16 PM »

What an embarrassment on the House floor right now. 

Nothing but a feel-good case of political theater that will accomplish nothing except giving those participating the sit-down the privilege of patting their backs. Maybe Joe Manchin will talk some more about how Due Process is killing the children.

Pathetic.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »

I have never been prouder to be a Democrat than I am tonight.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2016, 10:14:07 PM »

There literally is no point to this, they're just wasting time for brownie points for their base back home. It would fail spectacularly in the House should there be a vote.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2016, 10:16:33 PM »

There literally is no point to this, they're just wasting time for brownie points for their base back home. It would fail spectacularly in the House should there be a vote.

No, no, no.

Clearly the obstructionist, evil Republicans will respect the resolve of the Democrats participating in the sit-down, and suddenly accept no due process, universal blanket checks, and a wide-reaching ban on assault weapons. That's how this works! /s
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2016, 10:19:33 PM »

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2016, 10:27:45 PM »

Isn't 72 hours enough time for the government to put forward evidence as to why someone is too dangerous to buy a gun?  A lot of people on the No-Fly List are just unfortunate to share the same name as a terrorist.  Is that enough reason to punish them?

And anyways, isn't it a good thing that we are forcing the government to back up their No-Fly list with actual evidence?  Right now, what's the recourse if you get put on the list?  What evidence does the government have to put forward to support it?

What a cop-out. That's an issue with the no-fly list, and Cornyn's bill does nothing to address that.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2016, 10:29:32 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2016, 10:33:31 PM by Brown Line »

And anyways, isn't it a good thing that we are forcing the government to back up their No-Fly list with actual evidence?  Right now, what's the recourse if you get put on the list?  What evidence does the government have to put forward to support it?

What a cop-out. That's an issue with the no-fly list, and Cornyn's bill does nothing to address that.

Yes it does...?  That's the whole point of the waiting period.  It allows the government to present proof that the person on the no fly list is too dangerous to purchase a gun.  It addresses exactly that.

Your answer was more of a cop-out.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2016, 10:42:16 PM »

Ben Shapiro's tweets about #NoBillNoBreak are ing hilarious.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2016, 10:45:10 PM »

Yes it does...?  That's the whole point of the waiting period.  It allows the government to present proof that the person on the no fly list is too dangerous to purchase a gun.  It addresses exactly that.

Your answer was more of a cop-out.

The government presenting proof should occur when the person is initially put on the list. We need to improve the no-fly list; at the beginning. I think we can all agree on that. Cornyn's bill does not fix the initial mistakes.

This debate is about the ease of acquiring guns. It's ridiculously easy to the point that terrorists openly encouraged people to take advantage of it. Cornyn's bill and the other GOP bill did not go far enough. The defeat of these bills wasn't a "we need to do something, anything" because "something, anything" won't fix the easy access to guns.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2016, 10:48:23 PM »

Am I the only person who sees the irony in the fact that John Lewis has gone from a civil rights leader to leading a protest against civil liberties?
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2016, 10:50:03 PM »

Am I the only person who sees the irony in the fact that John Lewis has gone from a civil rights leader to leading a protest against civil liberties?

Nope. I'm finding this damn hilarious.

Look guys, we want just ONE vote.....on removing due process.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2016, 10:55:06 PM »

Nothing being proposed is against civil liberties, so...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies