Libertarian Town Hall watch thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:33:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Libertarian Town Hall watch thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Libertarian Town Hall watch thread  (Read 1704 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2016, 09:25:21 PM »

I didn't get to see the very end but I was pretty disappointed. As has been in the past, Johnson sounds super unprepared, nervous, and awkward in his answering. To me, they were also underwhelming in their enthusiasm, there's so much more they could've said about being libertarian and why its an attractive ideology that can sell.

I will say I see why libertarians were skeptical of the ticket, it seems like they're really moderate and trying to please everybody, even though I basically know their positions they weren't very specific and they came across as passive in some areas. Weld is actually a better speaker than Johnson but he's barely even a libertarian (and it showed in some of his answers). That heroin mom though was getting on my nerves... I know she suffered a loss cognitive ability in her son, but she was going on and on and being quite rude and annoying. But of course Johnson bombed that question...
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2016, 09:26:00 PM »

Weld isn't at the top of the ticket because he's less of a Libertarian than Johnson.

Johnson and Weld, both, are more PERSONALLY appealing than the other candidates.  They're both anti-interventionist in foreign policy, and that's the biggest issue for me.  

Johnson's comments on the difference between Free Trade and Crony Capitalism got my attention.  Trade has been an issue for me, but I do know that we did not always have the trade deficits we now run during times of low tariffs.  I would be interested to hear the Libertarians develop the case on this.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2016, 09:28:59 PM »

I didn't get to see the very end but I was pretty disappointed. As has been in the past, Johnson sounds super unprepared, nervous, and awkward in his answering. To me, they were also underwhelming in their enthusiasm, there's so much more they could've said about being libertarian and why its an attractive ideology that can sell.

I will say I see why libertarians were skeptical of the ticket, it seems like they're really moderate and trying to please everybody, even though I basically know their positions they weren't very specific and they came across as passive in some areas. Weld is actually a better speaker than Johnson but he's barely even a libertarian (and it showed in some of his answers). That heroin mom though was getting on my nerves... I know she suffered a loss cognitive ability in her son, but she was going on and on and being quite rude and annoying. But of course Johnson bombed that question...

He was GOD AWFUL in answering that question.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2016, 09:30:00 PM »

Weld is more prepared to be president. Johnson looked weak, nervous, afraid. This is why people see the Libertarian ticket as a joke, but they could still get 5% of the GE vote.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2016, 09:30:05 PM »

He was GOD AWFUL in answering that question.

His solution wasn't bad either it was just the WAY he answered it made him look ridiculous.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2016, 09:31:42 PM »

Johnson: "I haven't seen a doctor in three years."

That's a little concerning.

For a healthy man in his fifties? Not really. If you're worried about prostate cancer, you can get a FIT test, administer it at home, and mail it directly to the lab for testing. "Wellness visits" don't have proven benefits for adults who are in generally good health, who have no chronic diseases to manage, and who have at least a moderate level of knowledge about recognizing symptoms of serious problems and maintaining personal well-being.
Suck my caulk
DemocratforJillStein
Rookie

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2016, 10:02:31 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2016, 10:09:34 PM by Democrat for Jill Stein »

Johnson REALLY needs Weld to speak for him...The cringe is real right now, I wouldn't be surprised of Johnson's support cuts in half as a result of this. Not even joking.
I agree with you. I have been leaning towards Jill Stein since Bernie Sanders, but I have been completely open to hearing out the Johnson/Weld ticket and switching my vote. That is not happening after this forum. Johnson is doing a poor job at answering questions, and Weld strikes me as a deeply unlikable character, much like Clinton and Trump. I guess Jill Stein is my candidate for sure.

LOL. "Well if someone is dying just beg for help and mercy from someone" (basically what he said at the convention debate) is not a policy.
The Party should have  went with McAfee. McAfee/Johnson would have been a powerhouse ticket, as Johnson seems very good as a VP choice, plus he is younger than McAfee. Of course, if we are choosing an ideal Libertarian ticket, it would be Ron Paul/Gary Johnson.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2016, 10:06:10 PM »

Weld is more prepared to be president. Johnson looked weak, nervous, afraid. This is why people see the Libertarian ticket as a joke, but they could still get 5% of the GE vote.
It's a protest vote based on policy differences with the two major parties, not necessarily a vote of confidence in Johnson's ability to lead.

Only if the Libertarians were a threat to actually become president-elect would we have to worry about that.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2016, 10:09:23 PM »

I noticed Weld used the term "third way", which makes it seem as if he's just playing the role of a Libertarian for the sake of ballot access.

And, in truth, Johnson and Weld are more "Third Way" types than Libertarians.  That's probably good for their vote totals, but it won't make Libertarians happy.
Suck my caulk
DemocratforJillStein
Rookie

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2016, 10:11:51 PM »

I noticed Weld used the term "third way", which makes it seem as if he's just playing the role of a Libertarian for the sake of ballot access.

And, in truth, Johnson and Weld are more "Third Way" types than Libertarians.  That's probably good for their vote totals, but it won't make Libertarians happy.
......If you don't excite your base, then your vote totals may be in trouble. Johnson actually seemed more of a libertarian/Libertarian in 2012 than he does now, and I think it may damage his ability to actually enthuse Libertarians to vote for him. Ultimately, he will probably get around 1% like he did four years ago, but I would say 2% is his absolute ceiling this cycle.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2016, 10:12:39 PM »

Johnson actually sounded a LOT more liberal than he usually does, did he take a left wing turn since 2012?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2016, 10:20:59 PM »

I don't think its any secret that they're trying to get disaffected Bernie voters.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2016, 11:54:07 PM »

......If you don't excite your base, then your vote totals may be in trouble. Johnson actually seemed more of a libertarian/Libertarian in 2012 than he does now, and I think it may damage his ability to actually enthuse Libertarians to vote for him. Ultimately, he will probably get around 1% like he did four years ago, but I would say 2% is his absolute ceiling this cycle.

Johnson (and the party at large) is going to try different things from year to year to try to get to 5% of the vote, which really is the magic number, because then you get federal funding. Of course there's always the possibility of flaming out due to internal struggles over how to spend the money - that's what happened to the reform party, who got federal funding for 2000 because Perot was their candidate in 1996 - they got a competent candidate for 2000 in Pat Buchanan but they couldn't agree on how to spend the federal money and so Buchanan flamed out, receiving 0.4% of the vote. But Johnson seems to care more about the LP than Perot cared about the RP, plus Nicholas Sarwark (LNC Chair) appears to be intelligent.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2016, 01:04:14 AM »

To me, they were also underwhelming in their enthusiasm, there's so much more they could've said about being libertarian and why its an attractive ideology that can sell.

Honestly, I don't think they sounded enthusiastic about libertarianism because they are not enthusiastic about libertarianism.  They both sounded like moderate Republicans on the stage.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2016, 01:49:51 AM »

I didn't watch the whole event because I was occupied with other things tonight, but I did see clips later afterwards.

I get what Johnson and Weld are trying to do, and I think if they pull enough protest votes from moderate Republicans and disgruntled independents, they could crack 15% in the polls and make it to the primetime debate stage. But Johnson just felt completely unprepared being up there on stage. It's clear Weld is a significantly better public speaker than Johnson, and that goes a long way on TV.

It's not too late, however. This should serve as a learning lesson for Johnson and Weld to prepare for the next chance they get on primetime and come out in full force.
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2016, 10:57:55 AM »
« Edited: July 19, 2019, 03:51:28 AM by Celes »

As a disaffected McAfee supporter:

We told you so.

EDIT JULY 19 2019: This was before he said the N word on twitter. I denounce John McAfee entirely.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2016, 11:29:40 AM »

No thanks.

I don't want to see that goody-two-shoes, anti-GMO, anti-nuclear, anti-trade hippy on my television.

Maybe we can get the Nutrition Party on the line instead. Tongue
sparkey

Political Matrix
E: 6.71, S: -7.30

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2016, 12:10:37 PM »

We told you so.

As someone who wavered between supporting McAfee and supporting Johnson:

Would McAfee have even had this town hall? And can you imagine Judd Weiss in this setting?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2016, 07:31:37 PM »

So the Libertarians have sacrificed their principles in favor of the possibility of even gaining a modicum of political power....is it time to accept them as a true party now? Tongue
Kleine Scheiße
PeteHam
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.16, S: -1.74

P P

« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2016, 03:34:57 PM »
« Edited: July 19, 2019, 03:53:06 AM by Celes »

We told you so.

As someone who wavered between supporting McAfee and supporting Johnson:

Would McAfee have even had this town hall? And can you imagine Judd Weiss in this setting?

I think McAfee definitely would've had the town hall. Petersen? No shot. None. But certainly more people already know the name McAfee than Johnson and his backstory is so absolutely crazy that there's a very good shot they would do it just for the potential ratings. The sheer spectacle of it would be too much to pass up for the networks. Now, I don't think Weiss would've done very well, honestly. He's far too combative and I get some real arrogant vibes from the guy. My absolute ideal ticket would've been McAfee/Weld -- with the knowledge that ideologically it's not a very compatible ticket.

EDIT JULY 19 2019: This was wrong.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2016, 09:41:36 PM »

I just finished watching a recording of this and it was awful. Johnson talked about abolishing the IRS and then Weld later said that they don't necessarily have to abolish the IRS a couple of minutes later. They looked like an ill-prepared business school case comp team that steps over each other and "half-corrects" each others' statements.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2016, 10:31:35 PM »

So the Libertarians have sacrificed their principles in favor of the possibility of even gaining a modicum of political power....is it time to accept them as a true party now? Tongue

By that standard they should've been invited to every debate since they nominated Bob Barr
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2016, 03:00:54 AM »

I just finished watching a recording of this and it was awful. Johnson talked about abolishing the IRS and then Weld later said that they don't necessarily have to abolish the IRS a couple of minutes later. They looked like an ill-prepared business school case comp team that steps over each other and "half-corrects" each others' statements.

Yep, Weld continues to be a complete disappointment, there were so many red flags about this before the convention but that was sacrificed all for media attention.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2016, 11:30:28 AM »

Yep, Weld continues to be a complete disappointment, there were so many red flags about this before the convention but that was sacrificed all for media attention.

Given that the alternatives were Jim Gray, Alicia Dearn, Larry Sharpe, William Coley, and Derrick Grayson, Johnson made the best choice in terms of "who will give me the best chance of getting into the debates?".
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies