Patrick Murphy's Senate Campaign
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:32:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Patrick Murphy's Senate Campaign
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did Patrick Murphy's Senate campaign in Florida just implode because of the newly released story about his past?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Patrick Murphy's Senate Campaign  (Read 2074 times)
JMT

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2016, 12:03:26 AM »

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2016/06/22/the-making-of-patrick-murphy/

I'm a Democrat and am rooting for Patrick Murphy to do well, but this story looks like it could be really damaging. I'm curious to see if you all think it will have a large effect on the race, and if Murphy still has a chance of winning after this. I really don't know what will become of this story.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 12:06:42 AM »

And this campaign is ova!
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 12:07:23 AM »

Not yet, though it well could. We've yet to see the ramifications on his operation. Just a lot of media attention, which is bad, but it won't determine the course of his operation.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 12:08:21 AM »

This will be news for a week or two and then it will fade. Won't be a huge issue in the long run.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 12:08:38 AM »

Not yet, though it well could. We've yet to see the ramifications on his operation. Just a lot of media attention, which is bad, but it won't determine the course of his operation.

This, like I said in the other thread.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 12:16:50 AM »

Time will tell. It could just be a blip on the radar, or it could mean that he's becoming the next Braley. I hope it's the former.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 01:33:27 AM »

No, but there is actually pretty strong evidence that TCPalm (the main Treasure Coast press outlet) ignored this story when presented to them four years ago.

This story can be destructive if Rubio uses it correctly. But he won't.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 03:21:46 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2016, 03:25:50 AM by Adam T »

As I wrote in two other threads:

1.The story said it took him nine times to pass the CPA final exam.  And?  He passed it in the end.

2.The story said he was certified in Colorado and not Florida, but that he was working for a CPA firm in Florida.  And?  CPA firms hire lots of non-certified people with a background in bookkeeping or accounting.  I would guess that in most firms, the largest number of employees, if not the majority, are 3rd level accounting students who do the grunt work.

At most, they showed that Murphy stretched the truth in his claim that he was a CPA, when he only had a certification as a CPA in Colorado and not in Florida.  I could see a problem if Murphy claimed to be a partner in the firm or a senior accountant, but the story presented no evidence of anything like that.

3.The story referred to 'accounting experts who suspect Murphy...'  So, no names given, just 'experts' who have 'suspicions' but no evidence or proof.  Textbook yellow journalism.

I thought the second half of the story on Murphy's claim that he was a 'small business owner' were fairer. Based on that story,  he should refer to himself as an executive in a family owned business and not as a small business owner.  Still, if Rapist Trump's only lie was that he was 'self made' and not that he lies about everything all the time, I wouldn't consider that to be a very big deal.

So, if that's the only evidence that Patrick Murphy lies or stretches the truth, I'd say there isn't much there. I'll wait for the second part of this 'expose', but I'd take it with a grain of salt, as the first half of the first part was either a deliberate hatchet job or was based on a complete misunderstanding of how accounting firms operate.

The story promised to be an 'expose' to determine whether Patrick Murphy is qualified to be a U.S Senator, so I assume Part II will be about his time in the U.S House.

I'm not trying to defend Patrick Murphy as he clearly was not honest in referring to himself as a 'small business owner' as he did in the second half of this 'expose' if that one family owned operation was, in fact, all his claim was based on, but much of the first half of the story I think can be accurately called yellow journalism, and if stretching a resume are all they have, I'd say it's not a very major expose.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 05:55:26 AM »

As I wrote in two other threads:

1.The story said it took him nine times to pass the CPA final exam.  And?  He passed it in the end.

2.The story said he was certified in Colorado and not Florida, but that he was working for a CPA firm in Florida.  And?  CPA firms hire lots of non-certified people with a background in bookkeeping or accounting.  I would guess that in most firms, the largest number of employees, if not the majority, are 3rd level accounting students who do the grunt work.

At most, they showed that Murphy stretched the truth in his claim that he was a CPA, when he only had a certification as a CPA in Colorado and not in Florida.  I could see a problem if Murphy claimed to be a partner in the firm or a senior accountant, but the story presented no evidence of anything like that.

3.The story referred to 'accounting experts who suspect Murphy...'  So, no names given, just 'experts' who have 'suspicions' but no evidence or proof.  Textbook yellow journalism.

I thought the second half of the story on Murphy's claim that he was a 'small business owner' were fairer. Based on that story,  he should refer to himself as an executive in a family owned business and not as a small business owner.  Still, if Rapist Trump's only lie was that he was 'self made' and not that he lies about everything all the time, I wouldn't consider that to be a very big deal.

So, if that's the only evidence that Patrick Murphy lies or stretches the truth, I'd say there isn't much there. I'll wait for the second part of this 'expose', but I'd take it with a grain of salt, as the first half of the first part was either a deliberate hatchet job or was based on a complete misunderstanding of how accounting firms operate.

The story promised to be an 'expose' to determine whether Patrick Murphy is qualified to be a U.S Senator, so I assume Part II will be about his time in the U.S House.

I'm not trying to defend Patrick Murphy as he clearly was not honest in referring to himself as a 'small business owner' as he did in the second half of this 'expose' if that one family owned operation was, in fact, all his claim was based on, but much of the first half of the story I think can be accurately called yellow journalism, and if stretching a resume are all they have, I'd say it's not a very major expose.

This, Murphy will still win the primary and the general.  There's really nothing to see here.  Of course most people don't seem to read articles before posting about them, so I'm not surprised so few people realized this was a sloppy hatchet job at best.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 09:03:34 AM »

Given how revelations about Rick Scott's corporate corruption and Marco Rubio's paper-thin resume utterly destroyed their candidacies, we can safely say Murphy is toast.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 10:51:26 AM »

Here is a link to an article on Murphy's response:  http://floridapolitics.com/archives/214404-patrick-murphy-campaign-pushes-back-cbs-miami-story-exaggerated-business-background

I already wrote that one part of the story was a textbook example of yellow journalism, but if Murphy's response is true, it seems the entire story was a hatchet job.

I suggest an investigation into both the resume of the writer of the CBS news story, Jim De Fede (sarcasm), and into whether he has any ties to the Florida Republican Party or to Marco Rubio or any of the other Republican Primary candidates (serious.)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 01:14:29 PM »

Depends if it can last the next two months. Since nearly 40% of Florida Dems are undecided, its really what happens close to the primary (August 30th) that matters. I wonder how big of a deal Grayson will make it out to be.

As for the general election, shouldn't be a big influence.
mencken
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 05:08:49 PM »

No, but there is actually pretty strong evidence that TCPalm (the main Treasure Coast press outlet) ignored this story when presented to them four years ago.

This story can be destructive if Rubio uses it correctly. But he won't.

Would this have saved Colonel Allen West?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 05:15:45 PM »

Depends if it can last the next two months. Since nearly 40% of Florida Dems are undecided, its really what happens close to the primary (August 30th) that matters. I wonder how big of a deal Grayson will make it out to be.

As for the general election, shouldn't be a big influence.

Grayson is under investigation by the House ethics committee, so I doubt he is in a ideal position to take advantage of such a story.  
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 05:35:59 PM »

The drunken nightclub brawl story was used by Allen West in 2012 to no avail. I bet the next thing they'll throw at him is trying to out him, as if that would kill his campaign.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 05:42:55 PM »

To be a hack haven't most people in College been A.) Drunk B.) Don't something stupid.

It's like GWB DOI reveal in 2000
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 07:44:54 PM »

Patrick Murphy's business career still outshines Marco Rubio's.

And at least we know that Murphy, as a member of a fabulously wealthy family, won't be whoring himself out to the first sugar daddy who winks and nods like Rubio has spent his career doing.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 09:07:02 PM »

So in the end it was nothing important lol.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 01:32:03 AM »

The drunken nightclub brawl story was used by Allen West in 2012 to no avail. I bet the next thing they'll throw at him is trying to out him, as if that would kill his campaign.
He's not gay. He's got a young 27 year old blonde girl with him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies