Patrick Murphy's Senate Campaign (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:53:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Patrick Murphy's Senate Campaign (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did Patrick Murphy's Senate campaign in Florida just implode because of the newly released story about his past?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 31

Author Topic: Patrick Murphy's Senate Campaign  (Read 2094 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« on: June 23, 2016, 03:21:46 AM »
« edited: June 23, 2016, 03:25:50 AM by Adam T »

As I wrote in two other threads:

1.The story said it took him nine times to pass the CPA final exam.  And?  He passed it in the end.

2.The story said he was certified in Colorado and not Florida, but that he was working for a CPA firm in Florida.  And?  CPA firms hire lots of non-certified people with a background in bookkeeping or accounting.  I would guess that in most firms, the largest number of employees, if not the majority, are 3rd level accounting students who do the grunt work.

At most, they showed that Murphy stretched the truth in his claim that he was a CPA, when he only had a certification as a CPA in Colorado and not in Florida.  I could see a problem if Murphy claimed to be a partner in the firm or a senior accountant, but the story presented no evidence of anything like that.

3.The story referred to 'accounting experts who suspect Murphy...'  So, no names given, just 'experts' who have 'suspicions' but no evidence or proof.  Textbook yellow journalism.

I thought the second half of the story on Murphy's claim that he was a 'small business owner' were fairer. Based on that story,  he should refer to himself as an executive in a family owned business and not as a small business owner.  Still, if Rapist Trump's only lie was that he was 'self made' and not that he lies about everything all the time, I wouldn't consider that to be a very big deal.

So, if that's the only evidence that Patrick Murphy lies or stretches the truth, I'd say there isn't much there. I'll wait for the second part of this 'expose', but I'd take it with a grain of salt, as the first half of the first part was either a deliberate hatchet job or was based on a complete misunderstanding of how accounting firms operate.

The story promised to be an 'expose' to determine whether Patrick Murphy is qualified to be a U.S Senator, so I assume Part II will be about his time in the U.S House.

I'm not trying to defend Patrick Murphy as he clearly was not honest in referring to himself as a 'small business owner' as he did in the second half of this 'expose' if that one family owned operation was, in fact, all his claim was based on, but much of the first half of the story I think can be accurately called yellow journalism, and if stretching a resume are all they have, I'd say it's not a very major expose.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 10:51:26 AM »

Here is a link to an article on Murphy's response:  http://floridapolitics.com/archives/214404-patrick-murphy-campaign-pushes-back-cbs-miami-story-exaggerated-business-background

I already wrote that one part of the story was a textbook example of yellow journalism, but if Murphy's response is true, it seems the entire story was a hatchet job.

I suggest an investigation into both the resume of the writer of the CBS news story, Jim De Fede (sarcasm), and into whether he has any ties to the Florida Republican Party or to Marco Rubio or any of the other Republican Primary candidates (serious.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies