Scottish independence referendum 2017?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:23:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish independence referendum 2017?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Scottish independence referendum 2017?  (Read 21531 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2016, 12:01:54 AM »

Time to start it.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 12:04:07 AM »

Do you get good connection in your fallout bunker? Better go radio silence for a while, just to be safe!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 12:24:50 AM »

Do you get good connection in your fallout bunker? Better go radio silence for a while, just to be safe!

I mean, I am on Telcel, and Carlos Slim has never been in the business of providing good connections.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 02:57:49 AM »

Salmond is directly calling for it.

Worth noting that Kezia Dugdale once claimed she would support independence if Britain wasn't in the EU. Wonder whether that will come up, lmao.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 03:12:04 AM »

I think Scottish Labour will support one. In order to keep itself together it will not take a party line on it.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 03:23:55 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2016, 03:27:34 AM by TimTurner »

Salmond is directly calling for it.

Worth noting that Kezia Dugdale once claimed she would support independence if Britain wasn't in the EU. Wonder whether that will come up, lmao.
I know how Scottish Labour will deal with that!
They'll dump Kezia! Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 04:06:54 AM »

The logical choice would be for Westminster insist this be put off until if and when a final agreement is reached with Brussels.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 05:07:42 AM »

The logical choice would be for Westminster insist this be put off until if and when a final agreement is reached with Brussels.

Scotland can negotiate entry, or at least an agreement that we can enter the EU/Euro if we vote in favour of a Yes vote, which takes away the concerns over trade/currency. This can happen in tandem with the UK negotiating out.

An 'Out' led Tory party probably doesn't mind too much about the Union at this point anyway to care.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 05:13:22 AM »

If Scotland votes to leave the U.K and join the E.U, would it be reasonable to expect that a lot of businesses located/headquartered in the U.K would relocate to Scotland?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 05:34:10 AM »

If Scotland votes to leave the U.K and join the E.U, would it be reasonable to expect that a lot of businesses located/headquartered in the U.K would relocate to Scotland?

It depends. Some are already in Ireland for economic reasons, so it depends on things like corporation tax.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 05:38:38 AM »

If Brexit wins, I hope Scotland becomes independent. They want to be In and should be.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 05:40:01 AM »

If Brexit wins, I hope Scotland becomes independent. They want to be In and should be.

The EU couldn't give us even tacit support in 2014 as we were part of the UK (and Spain's itchiness when it comes to it's own issues) I do not think this will be the case this time. This will be helpful.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 05:47:46 AM »

The EU couldn't give us even tacit support in 2014 as we were part of the UK (and Spain's itchiness when it comes to it's own issues) I do not think this will be the case this time. This will be helpful.

The EU vindictively campaigning to dismember a former member state would be a very foolish thing to do, which would spook pretty much every country, both inside and out of the European Union.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 05:54:48 AM »

The EU vindictively campaigning to dismember a former member state would be a very foolish thing to do, which would spook pretty much every country, both inside and out of the European Union.

It's not about dismembering. It's about sending signals that Scotland can retain it's EU membership while the rest of the UK leaves. The two things can happen simultaneously.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 06:06:37 AM »

I genuinely don't know how I'd vote in this, and I hate the SNP and never even considered yes for a moment last time round.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 06:08:08 AM »

I genuinely don't know how I'd vote in this, and I hate the SNP and never even considered yes for a moment last time round.

Bit of conflation there. And that was part of the problem last time round. I think this time round Yes will be more cross party. I think Labour might come round this time.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 06:24:22 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2016, 06:27:45 AM by bore »

Bit of conflation there. And that was part of the problem last time round. I think this time round Yes will be more cross party. I think Labour might come round this time.

Come on.  You can't take a referendum campaign in a vacuum. In a yes vote the SNP would have been the ones negotiating  and pretty much every election since then shows a 1 to 1 correspondence between SNP support and independence support. Besides, I didn't even conflate them, it's not like I said "I hate the SNP and because of this never even considered yes for a moment", if anything it was the other way round, I never considered yes and because of this (although actually because of a lot of other reasons to) I hate the SNP.

Anyway I don't think Labour will back independence, or even be officially neutral, but I imagine they will be much less gung ho than last time around, especially because most of the people left in the scottish labour party will be very very pro european, so the winds will be taken out of their (and, if I'm, honest, my) sails.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 06:26:42 AM »

Obviously - I can't vote. I thought the last ref was devoid of a plan and had no cause other than emotion and sentiment. BUT this time there would be a legitimate and tangible justification...
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 07:12:54 AM »

The biggest change in IndyRef2 (assuming it happens) will be the media. I can see maybe Pro-EU papers coming out in favour of independence to keep EU membership, this time - last time there was only one paper supporting Yes.

Also, many businesses will become more friendly with independence, if it leads to remaining in the EU. Could be interesting to see if businesses in the rest of the UK say they'll move operations to Scotland, if there's a Yes vote, to be in the EU.

I think this will be a comfortable Yes win, as the main arguments of the No campaign last time wouldn't exist anymore.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »

I know a lot of people who were vehemently anti-independence last time, who have now swung over to being pro-independence.

Whether it is enough to tip an independence vote over the line, I'm not sure.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 11:05:03 AM »

I've seen the same thing. Big No's and 'SNP Out' people even at the GE in May at least emotionally saying they want out. Might settle down though.
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 11:16:22 AM »

Kezia Dugdale: “This is a bad result for jobs and for the economy in Scotland and across the UK. I spoke to Nicola Sturgeon this afternoon. We both have profound disagreements about the constitutional future of Scotland, but I stand ready to work with her in the best interests of the people of Scotland. Now is the time for calm heads. Labour's manifesto ruled out a second referendum in the lifetime of this Parliament - we won't be changing our minds any time soon."
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 11:22:14 AM »

I've seen the same thing. Big No's and 'SNP Out' people even at the GE in May at least emotionally saying they want out. Might settle down though.

Including Rowling
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 11:46:57 AM »

The biggest change in IndyRef2 (assuming it happens) will be the media. I can see maybe Pro-EU papers coming out in favour of independence to keep EU membership, this time - last time there was only one paper supporting Yes.

Also, many businesses will become more friendly with independence, if it leads to remaining in the EU. Could be interesting to see if businesses in the rest of the UK say they'll move operations to Scotland, if there's a Yes vote, to be in the EU.

I think this will be a comfortable Yes win, as the main arguments of the No campaign last time wouldn't exist anymore.

I would also imagine the academic/university types completely reversing their position. Last time they were for the UK, This time they will be for the EU.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 11:48:11 AM »

Possibly. But the Scottish government should start negotiating its own EU agreement next month. I will be shocked if there is not an informal Scottish delegation in Brussels and Strassbourg very soon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies