Brexit Supporters What comes closer to your motivation?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:43:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Brexit Supporters What comes closer to your motivation?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
You're a trot and hate global capitalism

Damn (((elite)))

DIE MUSLISMSM LOL

muh borders xxxxxxx

Lol farage is so funny on the teevee

A hatred of Britain nd enjoying seeing our ritual humiliation and dismemberment

Love of Putin and wish for him to have more client states

Xd just want world to burn #yolo

Literally Hitler

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: Brexit Supporters What comes closer to your motivation?  (Read 2597 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »

Seriously Crabcake,
fuc* off

Write in: I'm pro european, I'm tired of having to deal with the UK's bullsh**t: constantly whining and slowling european integration.

This argument doesn't make sense jammy. Now every reprobate politician in the continent is going to"do a Boris Johnson" -  support one of these stupid referendums to feather their own career. The European Union could be at more risk than it ever has been - the strongest pro European figures left standing are Renzi and Merkel and even they are weaker than they've ever been. In that sort od environment, a lot of populists will muse about doing their own Brexit.  I wouldn't be surprised if Sarkozy decides to have a referendum of his own...
It does!
The UK was by far the most eurosceptic country in the EU---> they got their independence---> the most powerful eurosceptic country gone---> less difficult for europeans to do some pro integration things because we won't have to deal with constant english whining!

And anyway, no leader in the EU is going to call for a referendum now that Cameron basically destroyed his career with that. Except some far-right weirdos like in Austria maybe.

And, the Brexit is going to be a yuuuuge mess---> will show everyone what happens when people leave the UK
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »

I think Crabcake needs to spend some time in a padded cell before he hurts himself in despair at this brutish world we live in.

It's "she", you nitwit.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »

Seriously Crabcake,
fuc* off

Write in: I'm pro european, I'm tired of having to deal with the UK's bullsh**t: constantly whining and slowling european integration.

This argument doesn't make sense jammy. Now every reprobate politician in the continent is going to"do a Boris Johnson" -  support one of these stupid referendums to feather their own career. The European Union could be at more risk than it ever has been - the strongest pro European figures left standing are Renzi and Merkel and even they are weaker than they've ever been. In that sort od environment, a lot of populists will muse about doing their own Brexit.  I wouldn't be surprised if Sarkozy decides to have a referendum of his own...
It does!
The UK was by far the most eurosceptic country in the EU---> they got their independence---> the most powerful eurosceptic country gone---> less difficult for europeans to do some pro integration things because we won't have to deal with constant english whining!

And anyway, no leader in the EU is going to call for a referendum now that Cameron basically destroyed his career with that. Except some far-right weirdos like in Austria maybe.

And, the Brexit is going to be a yuuuuge mess---> will show everyone what happens when people leave the UK

We'd better hope so, but never underestimate how craven and awful nationalist politicians are.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 05:00:33 PM »

Seriously Crabcake,
fuc* off

It does!

We'd better hope so, but never underestimate how craven and awful nationalist politicians are.
By the way,
The UK is going to be back in the EU in less than 30 years. So you shouldn't be worried.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 05:04:30 PM »

Btw. A stance he took on Brexit is a final proof that David Owen is a pathetic attention whore, willing to do everything to appear relevant after his political career essentially ended some 37 years ago.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 07:39:27 PM »

To answer this, though, I believe that the United Kingdom can and should act to protect its national sovereignty. Governments derive legitimacy from the consent of the governed. The actions of the European Union bureaucrats have indicated that they are not interested in a system where the governed have a voice in the system. The United Kingdom is doing the right thing by getting out while they still can, to ensure that the voting public of the nation can continue to control their own destiny.
The Last Northerner

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 12:09:00 AM »
« Edited: June 25, 2016, 12:36:47 AM by The Last Northerner »

If you are 'genuinely curious', than make a poll with non-troll options instead of stewing like a sore loser.

TLDR - the EU is a broken mess - I think DavidB gave a list of reasons elsewhere but my memory is: the eurozone was stupidly narrowminded, the Greek debt crisis revealed what the EU really stood for (Germany, bankers, political control), the ineptness of the refugee crisis despite my sympathies towards the refugees, the march towards a federal political union, the insane foreign policy and discriminatory political membership prioirities, the unbalanced CAP that hurts developing agricultural nations, the fishing policy, and so on. Some of these do not apply to the EU but are examples of the sinking ship the EU represents. There is also the argument that the UK has to be some sort of 'major power'. Frankly, it would better if the UK reoriented itself towards being a little England with a Japanese style foreign policy - one that engages in a peaceful and genteel foreign policy. I dislike things like the EU sanctions and being the political army of NATO.

Your 'ritual humiliation' is not leaving the EU. That already happened at Egypt and again at Iraq.

So essentially peripheral issues. If you seriously git that from the remain campaign you must be delusional.

And I would argue that losing in war is less humiliating than this. This is the equivalent of a dignified elderly person losing control of their bowels as they age. We have lost face permanently in front of the world community. And for what?

These are not peripherial issues, something that most of your country would agree with. You must be an insane tool of sorts of you think leaving the EU and giving Scotland independence is somehow more humilating and awful than colluding with the neocons in face of the UN, waging agressive war to destroy the ME, and creating ISIS.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 02:26:46 AM »

I'd lie if I said option 6 didn't play a role. Tongue Rephrasing it a bit more pragmatically, I think the EU has potential to move in a better direction without corrosive British influence.

I'm rather surprised you're pro-Brexit, Antonio.

I'm not really "pro-Brexit". Brexit is an absolutely terrible idea for Britain itself, as Britons are soon going to find out - so obviously if I could vote I would have voted Remain. That said, a narrow Remain win would really have annoyed me, because it would have come across as Britain whining and whining about the EU without actually realizing that they'd be screwed without it. This would have meant that any UK government would have taken a more and more Euroskeptic stance, thus weakening the EU further. With a narrow Leave win, people will finally get to see how wrong they were, and the UK's downfall will scare other countries from trying the same trick. From a EU perspective, it's a win-win.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 04:50:59 AM »

The EU is a thoroughly undemocratic, in which the MEP's have no right to introduce any sort of legislation. It takes away, a nation's right to self determination, with more legislation signed to further enhance the European Union's power over each respective country, without the country's consent. Above all that it, it is an austerity filled hell hole, controlled by an imperial council in Brussles, with one control in huge power over others, Germany. It has ruined contury's economy with horrible economic policies, such as Greece, Italy, Spain and many more, for the interests of the financial markets.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 06:41:59 AM »

The irony is, of course, is that the edgy anti-Semites who hate "globalists" are actually useful idiots for the true megarich elite. Because they prefer the murky world of quasi Nationalism, where they can hide behind shadows and squirrel their fortunes away from the public eye. The EU, for all its flaws, is an attempt to control the forces of globalisation and put it in control of the people and avoid the rush to the bottom. It didn't always work out the way (because - you guessed it "anti-globalists" eroded the ability of its democratic structures to regulate the nationalistic attributes of the Commission) but it is an effort. But no, even that is too much for the economically illiterate protectionists of this world who prefer to hide away in their safe space nation state pretending that they somehow have axhieved a victory over anybody. Sad!

This. Brilliant post.

The "sovereignty" argument annoys me so much, because globalisationis actually a thing; and if we want to retain a genuine democracy; not capitulation to the markets and angry posturing; then it will take a genuine supranational level of government.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2016, 09:30:58 AM »

Damn (((elite))) obviously
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 12:58:48 PM »

The irony is, of course, is that the edgy anti-Semites who hate "globalists" are actually useful idiots for the true megarich elite. Because they prefer the murky world of quasi Nationalism, where they can hide behind shadows and squirrel their fortunes away from the public eye. The EU, for all its flaws, is an attempt to control the forces of globalisation and put it in control of the people and avoid the rush to the bottom. It didn't always work out the way (because - you guessed it "anti-globalists" eroded the ability of its democratic structures to regulate the nationalistic attributes of the Commission) but it is an effort. But no, even that is too much for the economically illiterate protectionists of this world who prefer to hide away in their safe space nation state pretending that they somehow have axhieved a victory over anybody. Sad!

This. Brilliant post.

The "sovereignty" argument annoys me so much, because globalisationis actually a thing; and if we want to retain a genuine democracy; not capitulation to the markets and angry posturing; then it will take a genuine supranational level of government.

It's no accident that the multinationals were firmly in the Remain camp. If your goal is to control the forces of globalization then it is high-time to kill the EU and return to the drawing board, because it will never succeed in that goal. On the other hand, it is very likely to succeed in undermining democracy in Europe.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »

Looks like the (((globalists))) voted for Brexit?  (Strange sub-classifications...)

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 03:11:43 PM »

This. Brilliant post.

It's no accident that the multinationals were firmly in the Remain camp. If your goal is to control the forces of globalization then it is high-time to kill the EU and return to the drawing board, because it will never succeed in that goal. On the other hand, it is very likely to succeed in undermining democracy in Europe.

In the EU, we have a set of institutions that at least have the capacity to take on things like low wages, job insecurity, market manipulation or whatever; and the EU was taking steps towards becoming more democratic. It is always going to be far, far easier for EU member states to redirect the EU than it would be to set up a whole new institution.

In any case, the EU was already doing more to tackle the worst excesses of big business than any  one nation state could ever be capable of. It was putting pressure on the monopolistic forces of firms like Google for a start, and despite being late to the party, it was largely the EU that was forcing Switzerland to clean up its banking secrecy laws and Luxembourg and the Channel Islands to increase their levels of financial transparency.

So yes, it was doing something to control the forces of globalisation, and would have had more so if it wasn't for the consistent and blatant obstructionism of the British.

Multinationals, by and large, supported the EU in part because they don't want to pay tariffs, and also because it was pretty convenient for them to have one continent wide regulatory framework to deal with. Because even fairly stringent regulations can be easier to deal with than having to deal with 27 sets of more lax ones.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2016, 03:42:06 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2016, 03:44:56 PM by DavidB. »

Looks like the (((globalists))) voted for Brexit?  (Strange sub-classifications...)

I can't believe my eyes. Where does this come from?

If really true, and again, I find that hard to believe -- it's the Regavim wot won it! not really tho
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2016, 04:36:59 PM »

This. Brilliant post.

In the EU, we have a set of institutions that at least have the capacity to take on things like low wages, job insecurity, market manipulation or whatever; and the EU was taking steps towards becoming more democratic. It is always going to be far, far easier for EU member states to redirect the EU than it would be to set up a whole new institution.

In any case, the EU was already doing more to tackle the worst excesses of big business than any  one nation state could ever be capable of. It was putting pressure on the monopolistic forces of firms like Google for a start, and despite being late to the party, it was largely the EU that was forcing Switzerland to clean up its banking secrecy laws and Luxembourg and the Channel Islands to increase their levels of financial transparency.

So yes, it was doing something to control the forces of globalisation, and would have had more so if it wasn't for the consistent and blatant obstructionism of the British.

Multinationals, by and large, supported the EU in part because they don't want to pay tariffs, and also because it was pretty convenient for them to have one continent wide regulatory framework to deal with. Because even fairly stringent regulations can be easier to deal with than having to deal with 27 sets of more lax ones.

Take on low wages and job insecurity by...flooding Europe with migrants? If anything, it seems like it was playing a role in creating low wages and job insecurity. There was also the posturing over the specter of Greece leaving the Euro. There is also the issue of the system whereby richer countries are forced into subsidizing poorer countries. I get the sense that that might be what you are referring to, though.

As for democratizing the EU, what steps might these have been? Given the bureaucratic nature of the European Union, it is far too easy to strip away democracy with limited input from the citizens of its member states. A proposal only has to pass a vote once to become effectively irrevocable, and they will push to get the "correct" answer. The UK could have done more to save their continental brethren, but I am fine with their decision to cut bait and run all the same. The EU will have to take many more steps towards democratization before being a part of them begins to make sense again.

Indeed, the one set of fairly stringent regulations is easier for them to deal with. Say what you will, the folks behind multinationals are pretty rational. They recognized a system that would be better for them than the alternative, and that made the choice an easy one.

Besides, your comment about Swiss banking confidentiality laws reminded me: the European politicians have the art of bullying down pat. In their dealings with Switzerland, Norway, England, and Scotland, I have seen them consistently act like spoiled brats, ready to take their ball and go home. The Remain camp might have done better had it not come out swinging with transparent, empty threats of economic revanche.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2016, 04:46:55 PM »

Anyone who's tried to get a parking ticket changed will know that bureaucracy is not a EU invention
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2016, 04:53:30 PM »

Anyone who's tried to get a parking ticket changed will know that bureaucracy is not a EU invention

Quite true, and honestly some bureaucracy is a good thing. If we allow the unfiltered will of the people to pour forth then we end up like ancient Athens, who abandoned allies on a whim. There does need to be some constraint on the ability of the voters to affect policy. Too much bureaucracy is where the problems arise.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2016, 04:57:24 PM »

FF post. Those on each side that disdain "globalism" really are either xenophobic (primarily those on the right) or stubbornly living in the economy of the past (primarily those on the left). The way that I see it, "globalism," if managed properly, results in vast wealth generation while requiring proper protection of the most vulnerable - either by way of proper regulation or a safety net.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2016, 05:49:17 PM »

Take on low wages and job insecurity by...flooding Europe with migrants? If anything, it seems like it was playing a role in creating low wages and job insecurity. There was also the posturing over the specter of Greece leaving the Euro. There is also the issue of the system whereby richer countries are forced into subsidizing poorer countries. I get the sense that that might be what you are referring to, though.

As for democratizing the EU, what steps might these have been? Given the bureaucratic nature of the European Union, it is far too easy to strip away democracy with limited input from the citizens of its member states. A proposal only has to pass a vote once to become effectively irrevocable, and they will push to get the "correct" answer. The UK could have done more to save their continental brethren, but I am fine with their decision to cut bait and run all the same. The EU will have to take many more steps towards democratization before being a part of them begins to make sense again.

Indeed, the one set of fairly stringent regulations is easier for them to deal with. Say what you will, the folks behind multinationals are pretty rational. They recognized a system that would be better for them than the alternative, and that made the choice an easy one.

Besides, your comment about Swiss banking confidentiality laws reminded me: the European politicians have the art of bullying down pat. In their dealings with Switzerland, Norway, England, and Scotland, I have seen them consistently act like spoiled brats, ready to take their ball and go home. The Remain camp might have done better had it not come out swinging with transparent, empty threats of economic revanche.

Flooding Europe with migrants was not EU policy; free movement between EU member states and the controls various EU member states have over non-EU migration are completely different issues. If you want to complain about the effects of internal EU migration on wages in some of the receiving countries - well the North of England was suffering from de-industrialisation and job insecurity well before the accession countries joined. They have been suffering since the 1980s, when the UK actually had net out migration.

The EU, as has been pointed out, is no more bureaucratic than any government or pseudo-government. It is clearly far from perfect, but the last round of EU elections were attempting to beef uo the democratic deficit, what with each of the major EU party groupings having identifiable leaders, policy sets and even the debates between Martin Schultz and Jean Claude Juncker and the idea of an elected commission president.

And in all fairness, Switzerland deserved to be bullied on its banking secrecy laws, which have been a disgrace, and a national embarrassment, as a way to hide criminals and tax evaders money for centuries. Switzerland also benefits nicely from the EU regulatory structure, and the single market that it is part of.

I would also think the EU is entitled to push back against England as well, given how consistently obstructive the UK has been in blocking any sort of legislation that would actually democratise the EU; it has always been the UK kicking its heels, and stopping some of the better EU legislation from coming through. Case in point being Cameron managing to get private funds excluded from EU tax transparency laws.

I'm not saying it is perfect, not in a long shot, it is just that, in my perspective, it is the best shot we have got at countering the worst effects of globalisation.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2016, 12:15:27 AM »

I think Crabcake needs to spend some time in a padded cell before he hurts himself in despair at this brutish world we live in.

It's "she", you nitwit.

Fairly ancillary to how much you both consistently suck though.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2016, 07:11:46 AM »

The reality is that far from the scaremongering the EU really wasn't flooding EU with migrants. The early rejection od the quotas essentially prolonged the crisis and caused the disasters in 2015 that caused a major change in public position. That lasyed, like, a month or so as the Balkan route was sealed and shutdown, forcing yet more refugees to try the Mediterranean route. The EU then negotiated theTurkey deal which is essentially the opposite of being pro-refugee. The current ideal is "Fortress Europe" - hardly pro-refugee.

The problem is the EU Parliament is a) full of closed list elected nobodies and b) stripped of of its power by tge, you guessed it, Eurosceptic who preferred the nationally oriented inscrutable behind closed doora Commission (which acts more like a diplomatic meeting between states like the G20) then the democratic potential of the Parliament.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »

It's "she", you nitwit.

Fairly ancillary to how much you both consistently suck though.

Since you're a true expect on sucking, so I'll consider it a compliment Smiley
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2016, 12:51:39 AM »

I'm not a Brexit supporter but the second option is closest to my motivation for being only tepidly pro-Remain. The fact that people like the truly odious Jean-Claude Juncker have openly contemplated going out of their way to punish Britain and its people for this would seem to vindicate at least some of the sense that the EU in its current incarnation is quasi-authoritarian and gangsterish. It's just that the people within Britain who stand to benefit from Brexit aren't any better.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2016, 04:58:10 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2016, 05:03:01 PM by PiT (The Physicist) »

Flooding Europe with migrants was not EU policy; free movement between EU member states and the controls various EU member states have over non-EU migration are completely different issues. If you want to complain about the effects of internal EU migration on wages in some of the receiving countries - well the North of England was suffering from de-industrialisation and job insecurity well before the accession countries joined. They have been suffering since the 1980s, when the UK actually had net out migration.

The EU, as has been pointed out, is no more bureaucratic than any government or pseudo-government. It is clearly far from perfect, but the last round of EU elections were attempting to beef uo the democratic deficit, what with each of the major EU party groupings having identifiable leaders, policy sets and even the debates between Martin Schultz and Jean Claude Juncker and the idea of an elected commission president.

And in all fairness, Switzerland deserved to be bullied on its banking secrecy laws, which have been a disgrace, and a national embarrassment, as a way to hide criminals and tax evaders money for centuries. Switzerland also benefits nicely from the EU regulatory structure, and the single market that it is part of.

I would also think the EU is entitled to push back against England as well, given how consistently obstructive the UK has been in blocking any sort of legislation that would actually democratise the EU; it has always been the UK kicking its heels, and stopping some of the better EU legislation from coming through. Case in point being Cameron managing to get private funds excluded from EU tax transparency laws.

I'm not saying it is perfect, not in a long shot, it is just that, in my perspective, it is the best shot we have got at countering the worst effects of globalisation.

FYI, I will admit my understanding of the EU is imperfect and much of what I know is in relation to Brexit. I would appreciate clarification on any misunderstandings I might have.

The thing is, if migrants are subject to the same freedom of movement, it becomes dangerous for a country to have free movement policies with another country that has different policies regarding movement. The UK has no real means to stop mass migration when migrants can simply enter through Germany and then come there.

The main complaint I have seen with the EU's bureaucracy is that the European Parliament lacks the ability to issue proposals. There's a certain fatalism among Euroskeptics, because they see no way to gain back aspects of national sovereignty that are voted away, other than through exiting altogether. I would think that allowing all MEPs to propose major changes would effectively allay the fears of Euroskeptics.

It's not just Swiss banking laws, but it's other things. This story of France making a rather ominous threat should Britain choose to leave got to me somewhat. Not everything has to be subject to diplomatic posturing.

At any rate, and some of the other Europhiles have said this too, is that if your concern is UK obstructionism then Brexit is an excellent thing. To paraphrase a certain former President, you won't have ol' Dave Cameron to kick around anymore. I am torn because I'm not a fan of European integration, but the Brexiters have done much to speed up the process by removing their nation from the discussion.

There is a saying, that "the perfect is forever the enemy of the good". If it is the case that the European Union does much good to combat globalization's ills, then that is worth mentioning. I noticed though that many of the arguments proffered by the Remain camp were of a purely pragmatic character. Even now, there is a lot of concern over the possible economic damage this would do to Britain. Nothing wrong with that, but I would think any principle arguments to give in favor of Remain should have been presented.

As an aside: where are you from in Switzerland? I have family from Luzern.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies