Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2017, 02:27:41 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Be sure to enable your "Ultimate Profile" for even more goodies on your profile page!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Election Predictions (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  2018 Senatorial Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: 2018 Senatorial Elections  (Read 22862 times)
Da-Jon
olawakandi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2017, 06:24:21 pm »
Ignore

dream map
PNM
Mizzouian
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2017, 06:49:01 pm »
Ignore

If his approvals just stay stable, people like Donnelly and McCaskill actually have a chance.

I want to see polling and actual candidates announce, but I'm almost inclined to agree. What exactly is the argument to throw out a Democratic Senator again in places like FL, MI, WI, PA, and OH given the gross incompetence surrounding Trump and the GOP now?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2017, 08:22:50 pm »
Ignore

If his approvals just stay stable, people like Donnelly and McCaskill actually have a chance.

I want to see polling and actual candidates announce, but I'm almost inclined to agree. What exactly is the argument to throw out a Democratic Senator again in places like FL, MI, WI, PA, and OH given the gross incompetence surrounding Trump and the GOP now?

Because polarization might still be a thing? We don't even know what his numbers will look like in 2018, but I highly doubt that all Republican-leaning Independents and rural voters in many of these red states will suddenly decide to vote for a Democrat in a federal race. There are probably a lot of Republicans who disapprove of Trump but are still going to vote Republican. Also, candidate quality matters - if you're a terrible fit for your state or anonymous, incumbency isn't going to save you.

PNM
Mizzouian
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2017, 08:31:10 pm »
Ignore

Because polarization might still be a thing? We don't even know what his numbers will look like in 2018, but I highly doubt that all Republican-leaning Independents and rural voters in many of these red states will suddenly decide to vote for a Democrat in a federal race. There are probably a lot of Republicans who disapprove of Trump but are still going to vote Republican. Also, candidate quality matters - if you're a terrible fit for your state or anonymous, incumbency isn't going to save you.

I thought it was clear that the latter part of my paragraph was referring to MI, PA, FL, WI and OH (to a lesser extent). The environement is simply not suitable for ousting a non-offensive Dem incumbent in those states right now.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2017, 08:38:22 pm »
Ignore

I thought it was clear that the latter part of my paragraph was referring to MI, PA, FL, WI and OH (to a lesser extent). The environement is simply not suitable for ousting a non-offensive Dem incumbent in those states right now.

Well, you said that you "almost" agreed with Devout Centrist, so I was basing it off that. But yeah, it will be an interesting election for sure. Of course the Democrats need to get their act together, find a way to appeal to those voters and not take any of these races for granted because "Trump midterm". But not having Hillary Clinton on the ballot really should help them big time.

Jimmie
jamespol
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 02, 2017, 01:07:46 am »
Ignore

my wild guess is that Democrats will hold on to all their seats  and will pick up NV (because hillary won nevada last year).. arizona (because hillary almost won AZ last year) and Texas (because cruz is hated).

#analysis

Da-Jon
olawakandi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 02, 2017, 05:17:07 pm »
Ignore

dream map

Yes, these are rural areas aside from IN, who was the most hostile towards Clinton, Tester, Manchin and McCaskill have high approvals for incumbants

As for the GOP incumbants Flake, Heller and Cruz, the Latino corridor of IL,CA, CO, NV, NM, NY and NJ all voted for Clinton in 2016 and will be friendly again for reapportionment in 2020 eventhough, the new map won't take effect until latter.

And AZ is a Clinton friendly state. TX is a special case, but a Latino sunbelt state.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 05:18:47 pm by Da-Jon »Logged
Pericles
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2017, 03:48:05 am »
Ignore

Red is Democrat, blue is Republican and green is tossup. For the purposes of this scenario, Angus King and Bernie Sanders will be ranked as Democrats.

Arizona may be more Democratic than thought not just because of its D trend but also that Kelli Ward could well be the GOP nominee(she leads in the polls over Flake and if DeWitt is running he wins). McCaskill, Donnelly and Heitkamp are vulnerable, I'd expect at least one of them to lose, but all three have an ability to win in GOP states and their states have shown a willingness to elect Democrats. Nevada's race looks like a prime pickup for the Democrats given Hispanic opposition to Trump and that Heller only won by 1% in 2012.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 03:54:08 am by Pericles »Logged

#NeverTrump2020
#NeverKanye
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout