Should a college degree be required to vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:21:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should a college degree be required to vote?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Huh
Yes

No

No preference

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Should a college degree be required to vote?  (Read 2703 times)
mencken
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 06:55:17 PM »

I concur with the sentiment of restricting suffrage to those with a modicum of foresight. However, given how college education these days is subsidized to ensure against a shortage of underwater basket weavers, a degree may not be the best representation of being intelligent enough to vote.

A property requirement is both a more direct measure of one's long-term interest and one with greater historical precedent.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 07:32:19 PM »

I concur with the sentiment of restricting suffrage to those with a modicum of foresight. However, given how college education these days is subsidized to ensure against a shortage of underwater basket weavers, a degree may not be the best representation of being intelligent enough to vote.

A property requirement is both a more direct measure of one's long-term interest and one with greater historical precedent.

Agreed, I'll settle for Ph.D.'s only.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 08:41:37 PM »

No, not a fascist like smilo
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 08:46:02 PM »

Hell no. You are trying way too hard.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 03:39:56 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2016, 03:49:03 PM by Poo-tee-weet? »

Also:

Well, clearly, living in and being a citizen of this country doesn't demonstrate 'long-term interest' in it; no, the people who've really 'made it' enough to be graciously allowed to participate in the democratic process are those who are of the right social class to own property and happen to live in a part of the country in which it's a viable investment. You'd think that, if your goal is to fulfill your namesake's dream of turning America into a country of a ruling elite of edgelord atheists imposing their will on the rest of us, you'd be sage enough to recognize the fact that the class status required to own real property goes down as you get further away from hip-'n'-trendy urban centers, so any property qualification for voting would end up including a lot of 'boobs' and excluding a lot of enlightened philosopher-kings. If you really want a class-restricted franchise, why not just create a hereditary aristocracy? If it's a 'merit'-restricted franchise that you want, well, tough sh**t, true merit is impossible to measure.
Human
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 03:40:44 PM »

lol no
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »

You're so silly smilo
mencken
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2016, 11:57:41 PM »

Also:

Well, clearly, living in and being a citizen of this country doesn't demonstrate 'long-term interest' in it; no, the people who've really 'made it' enough to be graciously allowed to participate in the democratic process are those who are of the right social class to own property and happen to live in a part of the country in which it's a viable investment. You'd think that, if your goal is to fulfill your namesake's dream of turning America into a country of a ruling elite of edgelord atheists imposing their will on the rest of us, you'd be sage enough to recognize the fact that the class status required to own real property goes down as you get further away from hip-'n'-trendy urban centers, so any property qualification for voting would end up including a lot of 'boobs' and excluding a lot of enlightened philosopher-kings. If you really want a class-restricted franchise, why not just create a hereditary aristocracy? If it's a 'merit'-restricted franchise that you want, well, tough sh**t, true merit is impossible to measure.

Democracy is inherently unworkable if you allow net tax recipients equal suffrage with net taxpayers, see Franklin's aphorism of the two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner. I have no desire to impose my will on anybody; to the contrary I prefer just to leave everyone to govern their own affairs. The poster states that since true merit is impossible to measure than may as well not even try; why not hold the same standard for true need?
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 12:04:22 AM »

Also:

Democracy is inherently unworkable if you allow net tax recipients equal suffrage with net taxpayers, see Franklin's aphorism of the two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner. I have no desire to impose my will on anybody; to the contrary I prefer just to leave everyone to govern their own affairs. The poster states that since true merit is impossible to measure than may as well not even try; why not hold the same standard for true need?

I think the poor "wolves" are as capable of intuitively realizing that if they soak the rich and give them no incentive to work hard, the world becomes a sh**tty place devoid of iphones and swimming pools as the "sheep" are of realizing that they need a well-educated, healthy populace with an excellent infrastructure if they want to live in a dynamic economy.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 12:10:27 AM »
« Edited: June 29, 2016, 02:51:12 PM by Poo-tee-weet? »

The poster states that since true merit is impossible to measure than may as well not even try; why not hold the same standard for true need?

Well, because when one group of people are doing very well for themselves and successfully 'governing their own affairs' because they are allowed to participate in the political process, while another group of people are groaning under the oppression of the first group of people because they are not, then most outside observers would agree that the second group of people 'truly need' to have their condition ameliorated, possibly in a way that would allow them to participate in the political process.

Deciding that someone has more 'merit' (or more 'long-term interest') because they got a college degree, or because they've somehow or other managed to acquire real estate, or because they did well in a Stanford-Binet test, or whatever, is, however, inevitably subjective, especially but not only inasmuch as such a decision will, almost invariably, be made in a way that takes the salient characteristics of whatever group is already in power and declares that that constitutes 'merit' (or 'long-term interest').
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 12:11:27 AM »

I see my trolling with a poll tax has been brought to another level. Tongue

Short answer:  no, universal suffrage is just fine. 
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 12:12:49 AM »

Agreed, I'll settle for Ph.D.'s only.

Tryin' too hard....
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 04:43:19 AM »

It's really adorable, the way you think you're so insightful and original.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 06:50:48 AM »

So just move the voting age up to 22 or something while you're at it.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 07:21:51 AM »

Nothing so useful unfortunately.  Its subsidized to make sure we have an overabundance of aspiring academics in highly politicized and polemic fields, as well as a bunch of people who are told they understand how to run a business because they've learned a bunch of meaningless diagrams and buzzwords.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2016, 09:18:29 AM »

Yeah, I guess it's irrelevant that it is universally viewed now as a horribly classist and unenlightened practice, as long as it has precedent!

Why don't we just put all the people we don't want affecting our politics in camps, that has precedent, too!
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2016, 09:29:55 AM »

Guys, guys, this doesn't have to an either/or decision. We can raise the voting age to 21, have poll taxes, and have both college degree and property owning requirements! Grin
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2016, 10:43:04 AM »

No; but ideally, there would be more people with college degrees in the first place.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2016, 11:42:28 AM »

Guys, guys, this doesn't have to an either/or decision. We can raise the voting age to 21, have poll taxes, and have both college degree and property owning requirements! Grin

Moderate compromise! I love people like you (almost as much as I love the poorly educated!)
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 02:03:35 PM »

and having all your male ancestors being able to vote by 1824
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2016, 03:25:15 PM »

This sort of measure is inherently undemocratic. There is nothing that should stand in between an adult citizen and a ballot box.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2016, 04:47:22 PM »

I think only atlas users should be able to vote. How can we trust people the vote if they don't know by heart the counties where Mitt Romney had the best swing in female Swedish-American plumbers?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2016, 04:59:48 PM »

I think only atlas users should be able to vote. How can we trust people the vote if they don't know by heart the counties where Mitt Romney had the best swing in female Swedish-American plumbers?

Or the ability to make maps of said swing, for that matter.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2016, 05:03:01 PM »

Moderate compromise! I love people like you (almost as much as I love the poorly educated!)

Yet you don't want them to have the vote. Sad!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2016, 05:53:50 PM »

No, since the practical effect of that would be to skew the vote much younger and wealthier than it has any right to be. The idea that there should be some minimal, universally applied test to pass to vote (analogous to the US citizenship test) is maybe not the worst one, but I tend to think the imposition of such requirements is a slippery slope that could lead to a very dark place, and the vast majority of people that "shouldn't be voting" are weeded out by voting being not mandatory. So...no.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies