Americans: If you could vote to join an EU-style organization
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:51:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Americans: If you could vote to join an EU-style organization
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No(R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Americans: If you could vote to join an EU-style organization  (Read 1478 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2016, 07:22:12 AM »

I think the problem is that people immediately assume a global state will be centralised. That isn't really the case. If anythjng existing nation states are both to big to be proper creatures of the people and too small to deal with the situations at hand.

The amount of problems created or exacerbated by Nationalism today is way too much. It's a hideous distortion on the world economy and encourages conflict.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2016, 06:05:14 PM »

No way. We like national sovereignty and self determination. I do support mutually beneficial trade deals but a supranational governing body which can use an administrative state to interpose on internal affairs of a nation reeks of the coming global government. The Brits telling the EU #ByeFelicia delays that government happening and gives the church more time to proclaim the good news to all people groups.

@DavidB., I'm a Christian...... An American Nationalist Conservative in that order.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 06:08:29 PM »

I would vote no.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2016, 07:56:17 PM »

The US would never join such an organization unless the US was made leader, in which case no other major countries would join because they wouldn't be equals in it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2016, 09:17:04 PM »

I've always enjoyed the thought of humans in the future as a space-faring civilization that effectively functions as one country, possibly a federal republic. I think the further we want to advance as a species is dependent on how closely we can work together, instead of constantly fighting and competing with each other.

Though as it stands right now, given the current state of some of our neighbors south of the border, I have little interest in an "American Union".

So Star Trek? Tongue If we are going to become spacefaring in any real sense then, at minimum, a stronger UN with diplomatic and military powers is probably necessary. If we encounter hostile alien species, then not being able to present a united front might be the end of us.

Hah, yeah actually I guess that would be it. I just don't see any way to get to the kind of future I dream of without consolidating like that. I suppose it's possible for various parts of the world to group into their own "unions", and we could spread throughout the solar system, but we are highly likely to end up fighting at one point or another. We are better off operating as 1 society rather than many.

This may never happen, though. In fact, it's probably one of the least likely scenarios for our future.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2016, 02:29:20 AM »

I've always enjoyed the thought of humans in the future as a space-faring civilization that effectively functions as one country, possibly a federal republic. I think the further we want to advance as a species is dependent on how closely we can work together, instead of constantly fighting and competing with each other.

Though as it stands right now, given the current state of some of our neighbors south of the border, I have little interest in an "American Union".

So Star Trek? Tongue If we are going to become spacefaring in any real sense then, at minimum, a stronger UN with diplomatic and military powers is probably necessary. If we encounter hostile alien species, then not being able to present a united front might be the end of us.

Hah, yeah actually I guess that would be it. I just don't see any way to get to the kind of future I dream of without consolidating like that. I suppose it's possible for various parts of the world to group into their own "unions", and we could spread throughout the solar system, but we are highly likely to end up fighting at one point or another. We are better off operating as 1 society rather than many.

This may never happen, though. In fact, it's probably one of the least likely scenarios for our future.

I mean, we are so many centuries away from being able to set up reasonably large colonies on other worlds in our own solar system, let alone the rest of the galaxy.  It's so far in the future, that I hardly think we need to take that future into account when making political decisions today.

And in any case, I don't see why creating super-national governing bodies necessarily makes war or conflict less likely.  The chances of a war between, say, the UK and Germany any time in the near future are basically zero, regardless of whether they're both in the European Union or not.  Many wars today are civil conflicts within states.  The fact that people in Syria are all living within a single political entity called "Syria" hasn't stopped them from killing each other.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2016, 02:42:49 AM »

Human
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »

Tilt yes (I/O)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2016, 11:39:12 PM »

Probably yes, but I'd have to examine the details of the particular agreement.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies