Americans: If you could vote to join an EU-style organization
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:11:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Americans: If you could vote to join an EU-style organization
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No(R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Americans: If you could vote to join an EU-style organization  (Read 1429 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 24, 2016, 01:29:29 PM »

And why or why not? I say yes. Even though the EU is terribly flawed, I think it has absorbed a lot of the animosity that would usually be directed at more vulnerable groups and prevented a good deal of inter-group and inter-state conflict as a result.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 01:51:49 PM »

Yes (supports globalization)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 01:52:56 PM »

The EU can only exist because of the geographic and political realities of Europe. Who would the US form an EU-type of organization with? Canada? That would basically be annexation. Mexico? Good luck finding political support for that...
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »

The EU can only exist because of the geographic and political realities of Europe. Who would the US form an EU-type of organization with? Canada? That would basically be annexation. Mexico? Good luck finding political support for that...

Maybe NATO?
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 02:09:28 PM »

I would be ok with it under certain circumstances.  It couldn't have the US equal among other nations, we would need to be leading it.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 02:17:44 PM »

No never.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 03:17:47 PM »

What do you have in mind? Some kind of freedom of movement through the anglosphere? An organisation of the Americas?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »

You mean a union of sorts where a bunch of existing governments transfer some of their governmental powers to a central government, which then comes up with common policies on things like migration, monetary policy, trade, human rights protections and collective defense which then apply equally to all of the member states? I believe that is called the Constitution, although the last time someone attempted a Brexit the EU burned down England to keep them from staying Brexited. Which places are you proposing as the 51st and so on States?
dax00

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 03:33:45 PM »

Not ever.

At the state level, the individual states should be able to make deals with other states (and other countries) as they please.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 09:28:13 PM »

Hell No.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 09:30:19 PM »

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 09:32:43 PM »

The United States is so huge and dominant, that an EU-style organization in which one dominant state (Germany) could be counter-balanced within by other states (France, Britain, Italy) is essentially impossible here.  Mexico and Brazil cannot compare.  It won't be an American Union, it would more likely be an American Empire.    
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 09:33:23 PM »

No. I'd support a common monetary source like the dollar or a more international version, a defense pact like NATO, and a guarantee of no protectionism, but not the Brussels Bureacracy.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 09:57:24 PM »

No way. I don't understand this obsession with moving toward a world government. I'm all for cooperation between countries, and frankly the US needs to show more respect to our Latin American neighbors than we do, but concentrating the government's power further from the people will only make it less responsive to their needs.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 10:39:30 PM »

VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 11:11:33 PM »

Absolutely not. I would not tolerate such an incursion on US sovereignty. We're not like small European nations-we are large enough to be much more self sufficient.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 11:23:28 PM »

I suppose it would depend on "with who" -- I'd be concerned about such a union with Latin American countries, considering they're both much poorer than America (so America would be unambiguously subsidizing them) and many of them tend towards a sort of authoritarian leftism that I have a lot of distaste for, but a union with the other Anglosphere countries (or, hell, even just negotiating a couple exceptions for our currency and some cultural things and joining the existing EU) I would definitely be in favor of (supports globalization/normal Anglophone 18-year-old).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 01:51:57 AM »

No
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 04:04:28 AM »

No way. We like national sovereignty and self determination. I do support mutually beneficial trade deals but a supranational governing body which can use an administrative state to interpose on internal affairs of a nation reeks of the coming global government. The Brits telling the EU #ByeFelicia delays that government happening and gives the church more time to proclaim the good news to all people groups.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 09:35:31 AM »

No way. We like national sovereignty and self determination. I do support mutually beneficial trade deals but a supranational governing body which can use an administrative state to interpose on internal affairs of a nation reeks of the coming global government. The Brits telling the EU #ByeFelicia delays that government happening and gives the church more time to proclaim the good news to all people groups.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »

I support aspects of globalization (especially economically), but I'm certainly sympathetic to those who oppose cultural globalization (does that term mean anything?) ... It'd be a tough decision.  Lean no, just because we AREN'T in a Europe-type situation, and frankly we don't need anything like that whatsoever.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 01:05:41 PM »

No way. I don't understand this obsession with moving toward a world government. I'm all for cooperation between countries, and frankly the US needs to show more respect to our Latin American neighbors than we do, but concentrating the government's power further from the people will only make it less responsive to their needs.

This is where I'm coming from as well. As a supporter of democracy, it is evident to me that moving governmental power away from the people will only serve to silence their voices. If such an organization consisted of economic cooperation and nothing more, then I could accept it. When it starts adopting the trappings of a nation itself, then it must be aggressively opposed.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 03:16:18 PM »

I've always enjoyed the thought of humans in the future as a space-faring civilization that effectively functions as one country, possibly a federal republic. I think the further we want to advance as a species is dependent on how closely we can work together, instead of constantly fighting and competing with each other.

Though as it stands right now, given the current state of some of our neighbors south of the border, I have little interest in an "American Union".
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 04:43:46 PM »

I've always enjoyed the thought of humans in the future as a space-faring civilization that effectively functions as one country, possibly a federal republic. I think the further we want to advance as a species is dependent on how closely we can work together, instead of constantly fighting and competing with each other.

Though as it stands right now, given the current state of some of our neighbors south of the border, I have little interest in an "American Union".

So Star Trek? Tongue If we are going to become spacefaring in any real sense then, at minimum, a stronger UN with diplomatic and military powers is probably necessary. If we encounter hostile alien species, then not being able to present a united front might be the end of us.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2016, 12:53:11 AM »

There is no equivalent to the US for what the EU is to the UK, because the US already has the EU's demographic and economic size and scope.

The best possible comparison would be if the US was still under the Articles of Confederation, and Texas had voted to secede.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies