Americans: If you could vote to join an EU-style organization (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:09:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Americans: If you could vote to join an EU-style organization (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would you?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No(R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Americans: If you could vote to join an EU-style organization  (Read 1462 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 25, 2016, 01:05:41 PM »

No way. I don't understand this obsession with moving toward a world government. I'm all for cooperation between countries, and frankly the US needs to show more respect to our Latin American neighbors than we do, but concentrating the government's power further from the people will only make it less responsive to their needs.

This is where I'm coming from as well. As a supporter of democracy, it is evident to me that moving governmental power away from the people will only serve to silence their voices. If such an organization consisted of economic cooperation and nothing more, then I could accept it. When it starts adopting the trappings of a nation itself, then it must be aggressively opposed.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 04:43:46 PM »

No way. I don't understand this obsession with moving toward a world government. I'm all for cooperation between countries, and frankly the US needs to show more respect to our Latin American neighbors than we do, but concentrating the government's power further from the people will only make it less responsive to their needs.

I've always enjoyed the thought of humans in the future as a space-faring civilization that effectively functions as one country, possibly a federal republic. I think the further we want to advance as a species is dependent on how closely we can work together, instead of constantly fighting and competing with each other.

Though as it stands right now, given the current state of some of our neighbors south of the border, I have little interest in an "American Union".

So Star Trek? Tongue If we are going to become spacefaring in any real sense then, at minimum, a stronger UN with diplomatic and military powers is probably necessary. If we encounter hostile alien species, then not being able to present a united front might be the end of us.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies