Remain supporters, would you have been comfortable if Remain won on the backs of
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:38:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Remain supporters, would you have been comfortable if Remain won on the backs of
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Just London and Scotland?
Yes

No

Supported Leave

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Remain supporters, would you have been comfortable if Remain won on the backs of  (Read 1134 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:40:07 AM »

No. The global economy clearly isn't working for a lot of people living outside of London and Scotland, particularly some of the more depressed Labour areas, and it's been this way for a very long time. Although I support Remain from afar, I'm not British and can completely understand why working class people living in these areas -- who normally would have nothing in common with the right wing of the Conservative Party-- would vote this way. It's a cry for help, a desperate appeal to finally get the attention of the elites. A Remain victory for on the back of only London and Scotland would have given said elites excuse to get ignore these "hicks" and slam the door shut on their place in a globslizing future. They said no.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 12:07:21 PM »

Would have been very comfortable about that, no questions at all.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 12:18:34 PM »

Of course, that would've been perfectly fine.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 12:22:55 PM »

Absolutely. Are Leave supporters comfortable that Leave won on the back of non-London England - with disapproval from London, Scotland, and Northern Ireland?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 12:28:00 PM »

Absolutely. Are Leave supporters comfortable that Leave won on the back of non-London England - with disapproval from London, Scotland, and Northern Ireland?

Well Scotland and Northern Ireland can always leave themselves. That leaves mainly London and non-London. Of the two, Londoners already have more economic opportunity, whereas non-London has suffered more by globalization and neoliberalism. So yeah, the latter is important.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 12:30:00 PM »

Well Scotland and Northern Ireland can always leave themselves. That leaves mainly London and non-London. Of the two, Londoners already have more economic opportunity, whereas non-London has suffered more by globalization and neoliberalism. So yeah, the latter is important.

Well, they will now suffer 10 times as much from their rejection of globalization and neoliberalism. I think this suffering will be good for their character Smiley

Globalization is what sustains standards of living in Britain.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 01:14:27 PM »
« Edited: June 25, 2016, 07:08:50 PM by bore »

No. The global economy clearly isn't working for a lot of people living outside of London and Scotland, particularly some of the more depressed Labour areas, and it's been this way for a very long time. Although I support Remain from afar, I'm not British and can completely understand why working class people living in these areas -- who normally would have nothing in common with the right wing of the Conservative Party-- would vote this way. It's a cry for help, a desperate appeal to finally get the attention of the elites. A Remain victory for on the back of only London and Scotland would have given said elites excuse to get ignore these "hicks" and slam the door shut on their place in a globslizing future. They said no.

Thinking that all of Scotland (I say all because places like Edinburgh and East Renfrewhire would have been for remain no matter where in the UK they were located) voted remain because it's a beneficiary of global capitalism, unlike the rest of England is really ignorant. A quick tour of a remain place like Dundee or Motherwell would be enough to dispel it. Scotland, all of Scotland, voted remain for much the same reason that an economic basketcase like Belfast West voted remain, an aversion to English nationalism.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 01:32:42 PM »

I supported Bremain but now hearing all that whining of people often younger than me who clearly do not understand how referendum works I even would be not comfortable if whole country would vote on Remain because of those teenage morons.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 01:33:07 PM »

The only Remain victory that would have made me happy would have been an overwhelming one (>60%). A close Remain result would have been the most frustrating outcome.

Admittedly, I'd feel very differently about that if I were British.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 11:42:20 PM »

Would have been very comfortable about that, no questions at all.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 02:09:54 AM »

Yay for the Working Class suffering!
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 02:13:22 AM »

Yes, and that would've taught Londoners to never take Scotland for granted again.
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 05:49:01 AM »

The only Remain victory that would have made me happy would have been an overwhelming one (>60%). A close Remain result would have been the most frustrating outcome.

Admittedly, I'd feel very differently about that if I were British.

no that's pretty much my opinion too, the damage has been done and there would be no going back to before with the anger that the Leave campaign uncorked.  We just need to put it in the past and make the best of the situation: let Scotland go, try and keep Ireland from blowing up and try to prevent everything good that's left from being destroyed =, seeing as though all the politicians in the Brexit camp seem to care about is free trade rather than the people who will suffer from it
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 07:35:29 AM »

Of course, that would've been perfectly fine.
How are you a Remain supporter?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 01:48:27 PM »

London and Scotland winning out over everywhere else would have been a nightmare scenario both politically for the Remain camp and ideologically for me personally, so no, I would not have been comfortable.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 02:09:36 PM »

London and Scotland winning out over everywhere else would have been a nightmare scenario both politically for the Remain camp and ideologically for me personally, so no, I would not have been comfortable.

Did you vote in the poll?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 03:40:41 PM »

Scotophobe Cheesy
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 03:59:00 PM »

Did you vote in the poll?

Just did now, yeah.

Scotophobe Cheesy

Less Scotland(-as-opposed-to-rUK) and more London(-as-opposed-to-parts-of-England-that-aren't-global-financial-hubs) that I take issue with, don't worry. Wink
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 03:10:59 PM »

Yes, for sure, votes are votes.

And it has become perfectly clear that the Leave side had absolutely no plan or idea of what to do if they won.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 04:55:22 PM »

Regardless of which side you support, all votes should count equally, why would you care where the majority came from as long as you got a majority?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies