Does a place like this exist in the world?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:44:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Does a place like this exist in the world?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does a place like this exist in the world?  (Read 556 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2016, 01:24:58 PM »
« edited: June 25, 2016, 08:02:09 PM by Blue3 »

Does a place like this exist?

1. Sunny weather, little humidity, little pollution, warm winters with little to no snow, hot summers

2. Liberal politics, both socially (ex: gay marriage, though I don't care much about a place's stance on abortion) and economically (ex: healthcare & education)

3. Chance of attack by dangerous wildlife is slim (ex: alligators, poisonous snakes, poisonous insects/spiders, great cats, bears, etc.) and little chance of getting a terrible disease (ex: malaria, Zika, West Nile virus, etc.)

4. Not in a zone for likely terrible natural disasters

5. Not overcrowded, no high crime rates or high unemployment rates, not war-torn either

6. Affordable housing and cost-of-living, including good cell service and Internet

7. Most people speak English

This would be the place of my dreams. Any places like it, or close enough, exist on Earth?

For outside of the USA... would parts of Ireland or New Zealand fit this? Canada probably too cold, unless maybe the Vancouver area in the winter isn't too bad. Great Britain probably too cold and rainy. Would parts of Australia fit, except for the gay marriage part?

For inside the USA... maybe somewhere around the San Diego area is affordable? Hawaii I hear is too expensive. Florida is affordable and warm, but it's humid and has alligators and its crime rate isn't low, unless maybe there's someplace in northern Florida that's good.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 01:49:01 PM »

For me sounds like - at least taking into consideration some requirements - Denmark.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 03:13:28 PM »

Melbourne was my first thought.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 03:17:42 PM »

Adelaide
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 03:34:36 PM »

Porto in Portugal.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 03:35:04 PM »

I'm not sure if Australia would fit the third requirement.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 02:06:33 PM »

Are these Australian cities, or the area around them, considered affordable? Or other Australian cities like Brisbane, Darwin, Perth, etc.?

And are they relatively warm (ex: not below 40 F in the winter, around 80 F or higher in the summer, not too humid or rainy?)

I'm not sure if Australia would fit the third requirement.

As long as you're within an hour's difference of a major city, and not in the really wild outback "down under", it should be fine, right? What other wildlife concerns would there be?

Are there parts that are relatively warm (ex: not below 40 F in the winter, around 80 F or higher in the summer, not too humid or rainy?)

For me sounds like - at least taking into consideration some requirements - Denmark.
Eh, doesn't seem that hot, or affordable, or English-speaking. Unless I'm mistaken.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 03:08:35 PM »

Honestly, my first thought was perhaps parts of New Mexico, but I don't know quite enough about the Southwest to say so with certainty.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 04:16:23 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2016, 04:33:36 PM by parochial_boy »

Are these Australian cities, or the area around them, considered affordable? Or other Australian cities like Brisbane, Darwin, Perth, etc.?

And are they relatively warm (ex: not below 40 F in the winter, around 80 F or higher in the summer, not too humid or rainy?)

Melbourne is by far the most liberal city in Australia; but also the (relatively) coldest and wettest - noted for changeable weather, although I was there in May (so late autumn) and temperatures were in the low 20s celsius/around 70 fahrenheit. I think daytime temperatures are in the mid 50s in Winter and high 70s in summer.

And wettest by Australian standards is still sunny by the standard of anywhere else in the world.

It is fairly expensive, but much, much less so than Sydney - and the weakish Aussie Dollar means that USD go a lot further. Wages are also pretty spectacular, minimum wage is AU$16 an hour.

As for dangerous animals, I think like one person has been killed by an bug or snake in the last 40 years...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »

Belize?  Certainly cheaper than down under.  Not sure about crime or politics.  I'm sure they get hit by the occasional hurricane, but those are easily avoided, unlike, say, earthquakes or to a lesser extent, tornadoes.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 06:25:52 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2016, 06:29:06 PM by ag »

Does a place like this exist?

1. Sunny weather, little humidity, little pollution, warm winters with little to no snow, hot summers

2. Liberal politics, both socially (ex: gay marriage, though I don't care much about a place's stance on abortion) and economically (ex: healthcare & education)

3. Chance of attack by dangerous wildlife is slim (ex: alligators, poisonous snakes, poisonous insects/spiders, great cats, bears, etc.) and little chance of getting a terrible disease (ex: malaria, Zika, West Nile virus, etc.)

4. Not in a zone for likely terrible natural disasters

5. Not overcrowded, no high crime rates or high unemployment rates, not war-torn either

6. Affordable housing and cost-of-living, including good cell service and Internet

7. Most people speak English

This would be the place of my dreams. Any places like it, or close enough, exist on Earth?

For outside of the USA... would parts of Ireland or New Zealand fit this? Canada probably too cold, unless maybe the Vancouver area in the winter isn't too bad. Great Britain probably too cold and rainy. Would parts of Australia fit, except for the gay marriage part?

For inside the USA... maybe somewhere around the San Diego area is affordable? Hawaii I hear is too expensive. Florida is affordable and warm, but it's humid and has alligators and its crime rate isn't low, unless maybe there's someplace in northern Florida that's good.

San Miguel de Allende Smiley Or another Gringotenango (say, something on Lake Chapala), but I do not know those as well. There is a reason so many Americans retire here Smiley

Most of your conditions hold. Concluding gay marriage would require either traveling to Mexico City or another Mexican state where it is legal by law, or suing locally (it will be resolved in your favor, according to the established precedent). Marraiges conducted elsewhere are recognized. There is a possibility of an earthquake, but this is not a fault zone, nor is it a lake bed (unlike Mexico City), so it should not go beyond the minor scare level. Otherwise it is pretty much the ticket.  English included Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 06:27:56 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2016, 06:31:58 PM by ag »

Belize?  Certainly cheaper than down under.  Not sure about crime or politics.  I'm sure they get hit by the occasional hurricane, but those are easily avoided, unlike, say, earthquakes or to a lesser extent, tornadoes.

High crime, homosexuality pretty much illegal (up to 10 years in prison, though is not regularly enforced) and severly ostracized socially (enforced with rigor for anybody not deeply in the closet). Hurricanes common (and not many places within the country where you could avoid those). Pretty humid, actually.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 06:30:48 PM »

Belize?  Certainly cheaper than down under.  Not sure about crime or politics.  I'm sure they get hit by the occasional hurricane, but those are easily avoided, unlike, say, earthquakes or to a lesser extent, tornadoes.

Make sure to lock your doors so that John McAfee can't get in.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 06:32:30 PM »

Make sure to lock your doors so that John McAfee can't get in.

McAffee would be one of the lesser concerns there, actually. Seriously.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 06:33:11 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2016, 07:42:49 PM by RFayette »

Curacao - a Dutch island in the Caribbean.  I think it fits better than what anyone else said - it has actually warm winters and hot summers, and is very left-wing (has same Dutch taxation/government system) and is quite prosperous.

I'm sure other islands in the Caribbean may fit (like the island Aruba), but Curacao seems to fit especially well.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 06:34:12 PM »

Curacao - a Dutch island in the Caribbean.  I think it fits better than what anyone else said - it has actually warm winters and hot summers, and is very left-wing (has same Dutch taxation/government system) and is quite prosperous.

I'm sure other islands in the Caribbean may fit (like the French island Aruba), but Curacao seems to fit especially well.
Aruba is Dutch. Wink Curaçao would be a better fit, but Aruba's not far off.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 06:50:55 PM »

Uruguay?  I think Montevideo has had snow very rarely...but it mostly stays well above 40 in the winter.  You'd have to learn Spanish but it'd be a close contender to your requirements.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies