China vs. Japan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:40:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  China vs. Japan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: China vs. Japan  (Read 839 times)
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 25, 2016, 09:31:44 PM »

Pick
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 09:38:34 PM »

Japan, becasue that's where anime and video games come from.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 09:42:43 PM »

Looking at history, China is the only acceptable choice here for me.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »

Japan is just creepy in many respects, for lack of a better term.  I think I'd have to pick China, but I'd much prefer South Korea over both of those choices.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 11:13:00 PM »

Japan by a mile. Don't get me wrong, Chinese culture is fascinating, and there are many historical sites in China which are must-sees. The Chinese government is despicable, though, and the sheer amount of pollution in the larger cities is unbearable. I've met plenty of friendly people from mainland China, but when it comes to mainland tourists... let's just say I keep my distance.

I'd say that Taiwan vs. Japan would be a more balanced match-up, but maybe I'm just biased.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2016, 03:55:47 AM »

Japan, for the cars.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2016, 04:04:35 AM »

Japan, easily.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2016, 05:11:53 AM »

TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2016, 03:02:19 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2016, 03:32:49 PM »

Japan: A country that distinguished itself for its fascism and mass murder, and attacking countries without a declaration of war. Currently in an endless economically depressed funk. Major achievements in the past decade include getting hit by a massive tsunami, allowing five nuclear reactors to melt down, and losing 5-2 to the U.S. in the women's world cup.

China: One of the big four allied powers of WWII, overcame the century of humiliation, liberated peasants and women, helped end the Cold War by switching sides to the U.S., achieved the largest and fastest poverty reduction in human history. Despite recent slowdown still has a dynamic economy. First non-Western country to have a higher GDP (by purchasing power) than any Western country since the industrial revolution. Through 30-year one child policy which prevented 300 million births, has contributed more to environmental conservation than any other nation. Also the world's oldest continuous civilization. Demerits: Suckiness of the current government.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 03:49:19 PM »

Japan: A country that distinguished itself for its fascism and mass murder, and attacking countries without a declaration of war. Currently in an endless economically depressed funk. Major achievements in the past decade include getting hit by a massive tsunami, allowing five nuclear reactors to melt down, and losing 5-2 to the U.S. in the women's world cup.

China: One of the big four allied powers of WWII, overcame the century of humiliation, liberated peasants and women, helped end the Cold War by switching sides to the U.S., achieved the largest and fastest poverty reduction in human history. Despite recent slowdown still has a dynamic economy. First non-Western country to have a higher GDP (by purchasing power) than any Western country since the industrial revolution. Through 30-year one child policy which prevented 300 million births, has contributed more to environmental conservation than any other nation. Also the world's oldest continuous civilization. Demerits: Suckiness of the current government.
Holding up the illegitimate Communist/state capitalist regime in China as a force for good is utterly disgusting.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 02:55:19 PM »

angus is probably vacationing in China this year to see the family of mrs. angus, so I'll be interested in  his report on China 2016
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 12:36:52 AM »

Japan.

Did Beet seriously just praise the one-child policy?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 09:34:21 AM »

Japan.

Did Beet seriously just praise the one-child policy?

Sure, it's ethically questionable and massively restricts individual freedom, but environmentalism is far more important than those minor consereners. Grin
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 10:12:45 AM »

and if the PRC is known for anything, it's thinking of the environment first!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 03:30:47 PM »

Holding up the illegitimate Communist/state capitalist regime in China as a force for good is utterly disgusting.

It's not often I agree with Santander, but yeah.

Thus, Japan. By a million.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 04:19:42 PM »

Autocracy with vast problem with human right, freedom of the press and agressive foreign policy versus a pluralistic democracy. Well that's a really hard choice.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 05:32:43 AM »

Japan, easily. I love the culture, the food, and the language and the just the country as a whole. I've always been fascinated by Japan and Japanese culture. I'm not sure I'd want to live in Japan permanently, but I would definitely like to live there for a few months or so to get a good experience.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2016, 06:16:09 AM »

Japan by a mile. Don't get me wrong, Chinese culture is fascinating, and there are many historical sites in China which are must-sees. The Chinese government is despicable, though, and the sheer amount of pollution in the larger cities is unbearable. I've met plenty of friendly people from mainland China, but when it comes to mainland tourists... let's just say I keep my distance.

I'd say that Taiwan vs. Japan would be a more balanced match-up, but maybe I'm just biased.

China.  Especially for me ROC is the real China.  The PRC regime, as much as I back them on an issue by issue basis, are a bunch of illegitimate interlopers.   I am actually fairly pro-Japan within the Chinese political context but between the two I have to go with China.
Human
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2016, 07:24:24 PM »

Japan, easily.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies