in your opinion, is the Republican Party too Islamophobic?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:19:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  in your opinion, is the Republican Party too Islamophobic?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ?
too Islamophobic (R)

too Islamophobic (D)

not Islamophobic enough (R)

not Islamophobic enough (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: in your opinion, is the Republican Party too Islamophobic?  (Read 2234 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »

I don't think opposing radical Islam is a problem for the West. Right behind Moscow threatening the West's freedom is the radical Islamic problem. The problem is the GOP doesnt have a comprehensive solution to the problem.
Build a wall, repeal Obamacare, abolish the IRS.

I meant to the radical Islam problem.
If we had a flat tax, we could have 4% annual economic growth. Supply-side economics solves all problems. Ronald Reagan defeated the Soviet Union through tax cuts, there is no reason why we can't do the same against radical Islam.

As a Republican why are you mocking supporters of Reaganomics
Santander isn't wrong, you know? Read Rothbard's critique of Reagan.

POPULISM!!!!!
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 01:32:41 PM »

I don't think opposing radical Islam is a problem for the West. Right behind Moscow threatening the West's freedom is the radical Islamic problem. The problem is the GOP doesnt have a comprehensive solution to the problem.
Build a wall, repeal Obamacare, abolish the IRS.

I meant to the radical Islam problem.
If we had a flat tax, we could have 4% annual economic growth. Supply-side economics solves all problems. Ronald Reagan defeated the Soviet Union through tax cuts, there is no reason why we can't do the same against radical Islam.

um Reagan defeated the Communists by a military buildup they couldn't compete with and intervening in areas like Afghanistan and Nicaragua where he forced the Soviets to cede precious time and blood. Ultimately they dissolved and Reagan helped pave the way by boosting Gorbachev through glasnost.

Doesn't solve our radical Islam problem.

C trolling.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 01:43:20 PM »

It isn't Islamophobic.
mieastwick
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »

um Reagan defeated the Communists
sh*tthatneverhappened.txt
Which somehow remained less used than Barack Obama's, or even Bill Clinton's. Apparently, simply the existence of idle military equipment can cause adversaries to vanish into thin air. Why didn't the George Bushes take the lesson?
 Yes; the world's second-largest economy, which, if I remember, defeated Hitler, somehow couldn't compete with creating enough weapons (but why would it need to?) to counter an almost entirely unused military buildup of less than 2% of U.S. GDP. Anyone still believing that myth?
and intervening in areas like Afghanistan and Nicaragua where he forced the Soviets to cede precious time and blood.
That went real well. Nicaragua and Afghanistan must be beacons of freedom to all the world thanks to Reagan's beneficence.
Ultimately they dissolved and Reagan helped pave the way by boosting Gorbachev through glasnost.

Doesn't solve our radical Islam problem.

C trolling.
The only parts of TD's comment that are even remotely correct.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 01:58:08 PM »

Reagan sent the deficit skyrocketing too, but it pissed the Russians off so it must be good!
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2017, 02:04:22 PM »

Are a bunch of alt right people actually complaining about how Ronald Reagan defeated the commies? Lol
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2017, 02:04:58 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2017, 02:14:49 PM by TD »

Reagan sent the deficit skyrocketing too, but it pissed the Russians off so it must be good!

I don't see a problem with how Reagan beat the Evil Empire. The deficits were solved in the 1990s through the peace dividend. Reagan used the buildup to weaken the Soviets which was a great strategy.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2017, 02:12:34 PM »

I must be imagining the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991 then and the changes that it underwent in the 1980s that led to its demise.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You missed the part where the Commies admitted Reagan's buildup forced them to compete and eventually capitulate as their economy was too weak to sustain the American pressure.

The Soviet economy was nothing like what it was in the 1940s, and Reagan astutely notes this in his 1982 address to the British Parliament. He understood that the Evil Empire was weakening by the 1980s and knew economic and military pressure on them would weaken them further. By the 1970s the Soviet economy was falling further behind us and doing so at a rapid pace.

That wasn't the aim, ever. It was to bleed the Soviets dry as they had to spend resources to keep up the proxy wars. We didn't care about the citizens, we cared about creating pressure on the Communists. It worked well when the Soviets were forced to withdraw from Afghanistan in 1988 as a result of us arming the resistance.

All of it is correct, naturally.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »

Who's the Republican President again? Someone refresh my mind.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2017, 03:51:33 PM »

That's been the case even before Trump, especially during the Bush presidency. The disturbing hatred of everything foreign (be it Muslims, Russians, Germans, or whoever) is basically a sign of their fascism and racism which they aren't even trying to hide. Of course this is true regardless of political party and especially for #NeverTrump Republicans, who had no problem bombing brown people when they were in power but now act like they're holding the moral high ground.

Jesus, dude.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2017, 03:54:34 PM »

That's been the case even before Trump, especially during the Bush presidency. The disturbing hatred of everything foreign (be it Muslims, Russians, Germans, or whoever) is basically a sign of their fascism and racism which they aren't even trying to hide. Of course this is true regardless of political party and especially for #NeverTrump Republicans, who had no problem bombing brown people when they were in power but now act like they're holding the moral high ground.

Jesus, dude.
Whether or not you feel Bush foreign policy was justified, he's not wrong about the hypocrisy #NeverTrump Republicans.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2017, 04:08:07 PM »

How are we racist? W backed the war in Iraq to spread democracy as an answer to totalitarianism. His ambassador to the UN was a Muslim may I remind you and W never appropriated Trump's language on “brown people.”

I mean the Muslim ban was ridiculous and I backed letting in Syrian refugees. I assume this is somehow calling me racist as I'm a major #NeverTrump Republican.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2017, 04:17:50 PM »

How are we racist? W backed the war in Iraq to spread democracy as an answer to totalitarianism.
ISIS is also spreading their values.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2017, 04:21:30 PM »

Jesus, dude.
Whether or not you feel Bush foreign policy was justified, he's not wrong about the hypocrisy #NeverTrump Republicans.

I don't think their issue with Trump was his foreign policy mostly.  JMO.  And, depending on whether or not you feel Bush foreign policy was justified (I do), that would DRASTICALLY affect whether or not you think labeling it as, "bombing brown people" was appropriate.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2017, 04:57:28 PM »

How are we racist? W backed the war in Iraq to spread democracy as an answer to totalitarianism.

I'm sure that was the reason for the war. Why didn't he spread democracy in Saudi Arabia, then? Seriously, the foreign policy of the US isn't guided by human rights. Do you think killing hundreds of thousands of people, including many Americans, brings people democracy? Also look what happened in Lybia after the West intervened.

And that is relevant because...? This is just as ridiculous as the "I have Black friends, therefore I can't be a racist" argument.

Actions matter more than words. And regardless, just because Trump is awful when it comes to this issue doesn't make Bush (whose rhetoric was incredibly divisive, btw) some kind of hero or "sane" Republican.

Let's not debate which things I would call you in real life, okay? Smiley I will be honest with you... I find most of your views to be extremely awful, except when it comes to a few social issues like abortion, and there are some Democrats on this forum who are probably closer to me ideologically than you. We're never going to agree, so I'm not sure why you keep responding to me, though? These debates are pointless. I'd love to debate this with you IRL, but on a forum like this it's just a waste of time.

Yet Cal is the one who you think will be a Democrat soon?  Haha ... say what you want about this so-called "Fairfax County" strain in the Democratic Party, but NOBODY in that shltshow is endorsing Reaganomics, and nobody ever will.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2017, 05:48:30 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

There is a disturbingly large portion of the GOP that is actively supporting the concept of Muslims as a hostile group that isn't subject to the same protections and freedoms of other religious groups. The Trump administration actively bolsters these voices while also hollowly echoing the principles of "religious freedoms." This is why there has been an active effort to "de-religionize" Muslims on certain circuits of the right wing, and instead recast Islam as a violent political philosophy first and foremost.

The Republican Party leadership is not even remotely bothered with countering this narrative and is turning a blind eye to anti-Muslim sentiments while still disingenuously parroting a "religious freedom" narrative to many of the same White Evangelicals who would gladly strip such freedoms from Muslims at a moment's notice. This is a serious problem within the Republican base that needs to be addressed, not denied.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2017, 09:52:51 PM »

Yet Cal is the one who you think will be a Democrat soon?

Trust me, I will never be a Democrat in my life, barring some really unforeseen events. I'm way closer to the Republican Party and view them as a lesser of two evils, but yeah... there's a reason I changed my avatar from blue to orange. Tongue

Huh, I wasn't even making that point?  Plus, it's not as if we don't agree on many things as well.

I just was making the point that Cal is the most loyal Reaganomics defender on this forum, and there will never be a place for him in a Democratic Party that even kind of resembles today's.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2017, 02:19:41 PM »

"Islamophobia" isn't a real thing and it isn't a problem.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2017, 06:28:08 PM »

Yes even if I disagree with the excessive use of phobia in words that have little to do with actual phobias. Si I will just say that Republicloans are too intolerant of it. They may have reasons but they go overboard.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2017, 06:51:50 PM »

yes (normal, sane, not a fascist, etc)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies