Supreme Court Strikes Down Texas Abortion Restrictions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:19:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Supreme Court Strikes Down Texas Abortion Restrictions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court Strikes Down Texas Abortion Restrictions  (Read 2717 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« on: June 27, 2016, 01:44:46 PM »

Hurray! If there is a god, thank you for taking Scalia when you did. This is a great decision and a great day for our country.
Wow... I don't even know what to say. You should stop calling yourself pro-choice and start calling yourself anti-life.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 07:30:30 PM »

To me, that depends on the motives of the people creating those laws. Are they trying to use regulate guns out of existence on purpose? If so, then yes the comparison is valid. If they are legitimately just trying to keep guns out of the wrong hands and improve safety, then no, it wouldn't be valid. As for pro-lifers and these abortion laws - It's painfully obvious that it has nothing to do with the well-being of the women as health professionals have told them time and time again that those regulations are not necessary and wouldn't help at all. Of course those Republican lawmakers know this, and it's easy to say "oh it's for the health of the woman" when it's blatantly not their purpose. Pretty much the same idea behind Republicans and their voting restrictions. When in doubt, claim they are for preventing voter fraud, even when what they are doing would have no effect on voter fraud one way or another.
Laws are created for humans by humans. They don't have to be rational and in fact, sometimes they should not be rational. If laws have to be rational, we should abolish federal holidays because they reduce our productivity. Most developed countries have tougher voter ID laws than most US states, and you don't see widespread moaning in those countries. Protecting the sanctity of the ballot box is important, regardless of whether there is widespread fraud occurring or not.

I agree that most of these restrictions are intended to reduce the number of abortions and are not designed to improve health outcomes. However, abortion laws in the US remain more permissive in general than Europe, so you cannot really argue that Republicans are taking away abortion rights. I support these types of restrictions, because while they might not be my first choice method of reducing abortions, they get the job done. When it comes to the defense of life, the end always justifies the means.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 07:46:01 PM »

I agree that most of these restrictions are intended to reduce the number of abortions and are not designed to improve health outcomes. However, abortion laws in the US remain more permissive in general than Europe, so you cannot really argue that Republicans are taking away abortion rights.

I don't believe this for a minute.  Europe is a collection of countries.  Abortion laws vary across the continent.  Regardless of what side of the issue you are on it is painfully obvious you are dead wrong if you talk about abortion laws in Europe as some kind of monolithic entity.

Look it up. Of Western countries, only Canada is more permissive. (no legal restrictions on abortion at all)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 08:03:50 PM »

Or, you support the real intention and that is to indirectly ban abortions by making it impossible more difficult to get them.
This is it. As I said, I feel that in the defense of life, the end justifies the means. I would prefer it be done another way, but if this is how it has to be done, so be it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies