Supreme Court Strikes Down Texas Abortion Restrictions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:21:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Supreme Court Strikes Down Texas Abortion Restrictions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court Strikes Down Texas Abortion Restrictions  (Read 2721 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: June 27, 2016, 03:01:19 PM »

Disgusting, but yet another reason why Republicans need to unite behind Trump.

Please don't tell us actual Republicans what to do with our party and our votes, Mr. Independent. Wink
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 05:06:33 PM »

Great news!

And once Clinton helps finish filling the federal judiciary with liberal judges, pro-lifers can finally take a break, because Jim Crow-like attempts to regulate abortion out of existence will be shut down for over a generation Smiley

Jim Crow-like?  Jesus Christ, Virginia.  I'm pro-choice, but how can you conflate people trying to curtail what they see as an innocent life - even if they're wrong - with people trying to sidestep federal laws to prevent Blacks from being able to vote or go to public school?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 06:36:23 PM »

Great news!

And once Clinton helps finish filling the federal judiciary with liberal judges, pro-lifers can finally take a break, because Jim Crow-like attempts to regulate abortion out of existence will be shut down for over a generation Smiley

Jim Crow-like?  Jesus Christ, Virginia.  I'm pro-choice, but how can you conflate people trying to curtail what they see as an innocent life - even if they're wrong - with people trying to sidestep federal laws to prevent Blacks from being able to vote or go to public school?

They are writing laws with numerous onerous regulations that don't outright ban the target activity, they just make it so difficult that it can't be done for most women. For JC - Sure, blacks can vote, but only after paying a fee, taking a test and reciting parts of the Constitution. There are parallels here - Sure, you can get an abortion, but first you have to wait, then you have to watch an ultrasound while a doctor says stuff. Oh, and if you're a provider, sure, you can provide abortions since they are constitutional, but your facility has to have admitting privileges, and hallways a certain width, and has to be an ambulatory surgery center, and <insert numerous other regulations only implemented for the sole purpose of shutting down clinics>...

I said Jim Crow-like because it's not the same in every respect. The similarity I was alluding to was the method by which they prevented their targets (blacks) from doing something that was constitutional but also something they didn't want them doing. The parallels are very clear, imo. There is nothing wrong with this comparison. You can call it distasteful, sure, but it doesn't make it any less relevant. They are trying to deny women like me something that was ruled unconstitutional to ban using tactics of a similar nature.

I'm sure lots of Southerners also really believed blacks should not be voting, just like pro-life people really think folks shouldn't be able to get abortions. Both are doing the same types of things to achieve their vision. So what is the problem here?

The problem here is that a pro-life person who genuinely believes in his or her cause thinks that these children are being murdered, not that some inferior race shouldn't get to do the things they can do like Whites in the mid-Twentieth Century South ... if your only real comparison is a recurrence of finding ways to side-step a Constitutionally guaranteed right with restrictions that you believe manage to limit the activity you don't like (which is, again, Constitutionally protected, as you pointed out) in a still barely Constitutional way (in your eyes), then wouldn't another valid comparison being liberal cities instituting total gun bans and Democratic states trying to restrict various types of gun rights?  Is that Jim Crow-like?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies