Donald Trump has become born-again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:57:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Donald Trump has become born-again
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Donald Trump has become born-again  (Read 1349 times)
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 12:28:22 PM »

Why would he say this if it wasn't true at this point? He has no  motive to pander to evangelicals anymore. He already won the GOP nomination.

Well we don't know what he said, we just know this is what James Doddson interpreted from talking to Trump.  No other evangelicals who were at that meeting have said this.  Maybe Trump revealed a profound spiritual awakening to Doddson, and he has truly accepted Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Savior and will now dedicate his life to the glory of God.   Or maybe just maybe Trump tried to fit in and Doddson heard what he wanted to hear. 
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 12:53:31 PM »

Spoiler alert:

"Born Again" doesn't actually mean anything.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 01:11:55 PM »

Are we finally now convinced that trump is an idiot ?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 01:14:19 PM »

Why would he say this if it wasn't true at this point? He has no  motive to pander to evangelicals anymore. He already won the GOP nomination.

Because some of us just have so much fun as the expense of morons that we can't help ourselves.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 01:20:10 PM »

Spoiler alert:

Yeah there's a reason hipster Christians tend to shun the term.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 01:39:37 PM »

I think it probably means something, at least to the people who use the phrase seriously.  In the gospel according to St. John, Jesus said something about being born again.  I don't read Greek, though, so I don't actually know what John said, just what translation say he said.  There are other English translations that use the phrase "born from above" instead of "born again."  I do think that the observant evangelical Christians, who very often use the Jamesean English translation of 1609, do associate a real meaning with the phrase.

Or do you mean that it hasn't any meaning for The Donald?  That I can agree with.

Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2016, 01:44:58 PM »

I think it probably means something, at least to the people who use the phrase seriously.  In the gospel according to St. John, Jesus said something about being born again.  I don't read Greek, though, so I don't actually know what John said, just what translation say he said.  There are other English translations that use the phrase "born from above" instead of "born again."  I do think that the observant evangelical Christians, who very often use the Jamesean English translation of 1609, do associate a real meaning with the phrase.

Or do you mean that it hasn't any meaning for The Donald?  That I can agree with.

My mother grew up in a Born Again tradition in the 50s and 60s.  What is referred to as "Born Again" today is unrecognizable to her.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »

I see.  So it's rather like the word "liberal."  Means whatever you want it to at the moment.

Well, anyway, I can't get inside Trump's head but I have a hard time believing he worships any god other than the Almighty Dollar.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »

I see.  So it's rather like the word "liberal."  Means whatever you want it to at the moment.

Exactly.  Like Joel Olsteen.  If he now represents what is "born again," the phrase has lost all meaning.

When it meant Billy Graham and tent revivals and the Four Spiritual Laws, then sure, it meant something.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 01:15:10 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

My understanding suggests that the phrase has something to do with the spiritual progression that a believer experiences through life; a journey which might continue after physical death, but by no means ends at a set time in a person's life.  If Jesus had intended the phrase as a point of theological significance for living believers, he probably would have spoken extensively about those words, but he did not.  So it's not so much a new moral or religious decree as it is a restatement of the central message in the Gospels.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 01:35:27 PM »

The guy who started all this (James Dobson) is now walking it back. Apparently he was basing it on info he 'heard' and not even from the Donald himself...

http://www.charismanews.com/politics/elections/58066-after-donald-trump-s-salvation-dr-james-dobson-reminds-how-to-deal-with-baby-christians

BTW, Paula White is one of those 'prosperity preachers' who seem to be the bulk of the evangelical leaders who have come out in favor of Trump. Time did a piece on Trump and his links to the prosperity Gospel preachers, including this...
http://time.com/donald-trump-prosperity-preachers/
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 02:29:36 PM »

The guy who started all this (James Dobson) is now walking it back. Apparently he was basing it on info he 'heard' and not even from the Donald himself...

Dobson should never have gotten into politics.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies