George Will leaves GOP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:40:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  George Will leaves GOP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: George Will leaves GOP  (Read 832 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:47:14 AM »

Prompted by you-know-who.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 06:21:24 AM »

Yeah. The Republican establishment couldn't make the case that they've done well for the American electorate, so their candidates were tossed out during the primary process. Is that Trump's fault? Perhaps those in the GOP establishment bear some responsibility? I agree with those who have issues with Trump's style, but I believe the issues he's raised are valid and his positions on those issues is compelling, which is why he was able to defeat the likes of Bush, Rubio, and Cruz. Many elite conservatives may end up joining George Will in walking out on the GOP, but frankly, the grass roots that are supporting Trump probably don't care all that much.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 08:25:13 AM »

FF
skoods
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 10:32:44 AM »

Yeah. The Republican establishment couldn't make the case that they've done well for the American electorate, so their candidates were tossed out during the primary process. Is that Trump's fault? Perhaps those in the GOP establishment bear some responsibility? I agree with those who have issues with Trump's style, but I believe the issues he's raised are valid and his positions on those issues is compelling, which is why he was able to defeat the likes of Bush, Rubio, and Cruz. Many elite conservatives may end up joining George Will in walking out on the GOP, but frankly, the grass roots that are supporting Trump probably don't care all that much.

He was able to defeat all those clowns because most of them brought nothing new to the table and the GOP primary electorate is become more right wing and polarized.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 10:35:01 AM »

Unfortunately, he's exacerbating the problem.

We have a problem with Trump and his followers having too much sway in the party, so we leave and give them a bigger slice of the pie?

A lot of Trump supporters weren't even Republicans until relatively recently (think Santender), and I'll be damned if I just fork over a party I was in first.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 11:52:31 AM »

Oh no! George Will left!

Oh sweet mary joseph, what are we gonna do I dont know how we will overcome such a tradegy oh the horror horrror horror please have mercy on us god oh no.

Eh, just kidding. George Will can go screw off with the rest of his neo-con, cigar-smoking, mustache twirling, pencil-pushers. They are the ones who opened this can of worms known as Trump and his right-wing populist lackeys.
bigedlb
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 02:12:45 PM »

Did some one leave?  Seems to be a lot less hot air at the party. 
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 02:15:17 PM »

We have a problem with Trump and his followers having too much sway in the party, so we leave and give them a bigger slice of the pie?

A lot of Trump supporters weren't even Republicans until relatively recently (think Santender), and I'll be damned if I just fork over a party I was in first.

You hit the nail on the head here. One can do more fixing the GOP from the inside than there is by ditching the party and essentially allowing Trumpists to take it over.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 02:16:03 PM »

George Will is a smart guy and I respect him, but for years he's been asking the base to get in line behind the nominee, despite their differences. Now that the base has chosen someone who actually represents them, he flees the party. He's free to do so, but he surely won't be missed.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 02:27:22 PM »

George Will is not leaving the GOP because of trump, per se.
He seems to agree that trump "hijacked" the party, and can live with that for the next 4 months (until trump loses the election come November).
His main beef is that trump got away with his direct racist comment towards the "Mexican Heritage" judge, and also that Paul Ryan endorsed/supported trump as the R candidate after this disgusting incident.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 02:28:41 PM »

Oh no! George Will left!

Oh sweet mary joseph, what are we gonna do I dont know how we will overcome such a tradegy oh the horror horrror horror please have mercy on us god oh no.

Eh, just kidding. George Will can go screw off with the rest of his neo-con, cigar-smoking, mustache twirling, pencil-pushers. They are the ones who opened this can of worms known as Trump and his right-wing populist lackeys.
Human
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 03:40:18 PM »

Huge FF!
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 03:43:12 PM »

I'm OK with that as long as he doesn't join my party.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 05:57:22 PM »

I'm OK with that as long as he doesn't join my party.

Democrats are the "True Conservative" Party now.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 06:23:22 PM »

Oh no! George Will left!

BigSkyBob

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 06:57:02 PM »

Good Riddance!

It was long overdue.

Lenin noted that the best way to control the opposition is to lead it. Liberal press organs such as the New York Times and Washington Post don't have "conservative" commentators because they want an informed readership. They want a fifth columnist among the conservative movement. Instead of hearing out conservative concerns and articulating their viewpoint, Will has lectured conservatives about how British Tories would govern, leaving real conservatives without a meaningful voice in places such as ABC News.

Note, I'm not saying George Will entered into a conspiracy. I am merely noting that he has been a useful idiot. I'm sure he actually believes what he writes.

In 2016 we are witnessing the breakdown of the kleptocracy model of the GOP. [Kleptocrats direct public funds towards themselves, kicking back funds to the political class, and intellectual class in order to persuade the average voter to passively accept kleptocracy.] Average GOP voters have refused to passively accept a blind eye turned towards illegal immigration, trade deals that export jobs, and endless wars that have made matters worse, not better. They have had the good sense to reject the advice of the George Wills of the world.

That George Will is quitting the party he sabotaged in a fit of pique is a sign of the progress average Republican voters have had in taking back their party.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 07:10:43 PM »

Did he meet Ted Cruz?
*clicks article*

Never mind.

Also, I first read this as "George Will Leave GOP".
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 08:00:31 PM »

George Will is a smart guy and I respect him, but for years he's been asking the base to get in line behind the nominee, despite their differences.

Is that really true?  He's more of a pundit than an activist.  A pundit with some pretty strong ideological biases, sure, but still a pundit.  I don't see much of his commentary over the years as "trying to convince the folks now voting for Trump to vote the right way".  His commentary isn't really aimed at them.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 09:55:56 PM »

You hit the nail on the head here. One can do more fixing the GOP from the inside than there is by ditching the party and essentially allowing Trumpists to take it over.

Ditto.  When conservatives say that they're going to leave the GOP, I ask myself, "What's their other option?".

Will has always been a Republican neocon; he opposed Nixon during Watergate and was a big fan of Sam Nunn and Henry Jackson, but I can't see him becoming a Democrat, even if a candidate as moderate as the 1976 Jimmy Carter were nominated.  You've got to be part of a political party if you want to move the political needle.  Even if you leave public office, this is true.  Would Jim DeMint have ANY influence if he were an Independent?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 09:59:41 PM »

The Republican Party would do well if it tried to push Trumpists towards people like Walter Jones, more moderate and libertarian people with a similar appeal in rhetoric and style.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 10:06:47 PM »

Ditto.  When conservatives say that they're going to leave the GOP, I ask myself, "What's their other option?".

Will has always been a Republican neocon; he opposed Nixon during Watergate and was a big fan of Sam Nunn and Henry Jackson, but I can't see him becoming a Democrat, even if a candidate as moderate as the 1976 Jimmy Carter were nominated.  You've got to be part of a political party if you want to move the political needle.  Even if you leave public office, this is true.  Would Jim DeMint have ANY influence if he were an Independent?

Will is not a politician. Journalists/pundits can have as much impact -probably, more impact - if they are independent of political parties.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies