Clinton's VP Choices (Week 2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 04, 2024, 04:05:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton's VP Choices (Week 2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Out of these choices, who is most likely to be Clinton's running mate?
Evan Bayh

Xavier Becerra

Joe Biden

Cory Booker

Sherrod Brown

Julian Castro

Al Franken

Tim Kaine

Tom Perez

Bernie Sanders

Tom Vilsack

Elizabeth Warren

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 96

Author Topic: Clinton's VP Choices (Week 2)  (Read 1218 times)
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 06:23:43 PM »

Kaine
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 06:25:16 PM »

Kaine, but Wyden should be on the list.

Of these, I prefer, in order:
1. Joe Biden
2. Evan Bayh
3. Al Franken
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 06:26:04 PM »

Kaine, but Wyden should be on the list.

Of these, I prefer, in order:
1. Joe Biden
2. Evan Bayh

3. Al Franken
So would I, but dream on. Cheesy
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 06:26:57 PM »

I know you're a big Wyden fan, but he's received no speculation whatsoever.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 07:00:07 PM »

Since Hillary and Elizabeth Warren don't really get along that well, and since Warren is a very strong personality....I can't see her enjoying having Bill hovering around, getting in "her way" so to speak. Doesn't seem that she would enjoy that very much.

And I'm already tired of her attack-dog tactics. She's becoming annoying....just like Bernie.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 07:14:47 PM »

I know you're a big Wyden fan, but he's received no speculation whatsoever.
I always liked him, and he seems like just your type.

It seems Atlas likes him in general, by the way. Didn't he get like 70% of the FF vote?
Warren. It just makes too much sense. She fires up the base, she's a great attack dog, and she lessens Clinton's Wall Street ties.

People who say "But, Gov. Baker will nominate a Republican" are being short sighted. That Republican would have to run in a special election within 90 days that they would almost certainly lose. The Democratically dominated legislature could also pass new legislation altering the terms of Baker's power like they did with Romney in 2004.
I don't know. I think Baker either nominates Tisei for a competitive special election, a placeholder, or someone moderate like Niki Tsongas so it's not someone too extreme. I suspect one of the two former ones is most likely, even with someone as great as Baker.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 08:41:55 AM »

Obviously Kaine.

This article about the potential VP picks on both sides is interesting. Says that Kaine and Corker are the most likely choices.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 08:44:33 AM »

Kaine because he's a boring safe pick, inoffensive senator from a swing state but also because his seat wouldn't be appointed by a Republican, and that matters a lot if Clinton cares about the Senate majority (she probably does).
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 10:01:58 AM »

Kaine, he is a safe, solid, non controversial pick.

Of course Clinton makes it very public that Warren is being considered and vetted for VP, but in practice, this is a tactic employed by all major Presidential campaigns.

There is no way Clinton picks a woman for VP.

Clinton already has tremendous support from women voters.  She has to shore up her support with men voters, as this is a constituency in which she is struggling.  One way to do this is to pick a man as VP.

She doesn't want to alienate even more men voters by picking a woman VP.

So no, she does not pick Warren, or any other woman for VP.  That is a ludicrous idea.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »

Kaine because he's a boring safe pick, inoffensive senator from a swing state but also because his seat wouldn't be appointed by a Republican, and that matters a lot if Clinton cares about the Senate majority (she probably does).

It wouldn't be filled by a Republican, but the special election would be in 2017, right? That's more dangerous than a special election in Massachusetts in March.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 12:36:23 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2016, 12:38:29 PM by eric82oslo »

1. Julian Castro (charisma, generational rejuvenation, inspiring life story, double down on Trump's hate against Mexicans, will cause excitement in the West and particularily latino heavy Western states, could spur 100,000s if not millions of latino citizens to either register or actually turn out to vote (only 48% turnout in 2012 nationally, much lower in Arizona and Texas), very inoffensive to Utah and other Republican voters, held one of the 2 best-received speeches at the 2012 convention)

2. Elizabeth Warren (charisma, will rile up the best, double down on Trump's misogyni, her take down of Wall Street/special interests/corruption in politics could excite working class voters, the most effective attack dog of anyone, could boost Clinton's margin in north eastern states where Trump already appear very strong, would make Sanders a much more enthusiastic surrogate and supporter of the ticket, held one of the 2 most cherished speeches at the 2012 convention)

3. John Hickenlooper (serious guy with lots of experience, very calm, reflected and down to earth, thus not seeming like your average politician, from one of the swing states where Clinton has been struggling the most, a progressive governor from one of the nation's most progressive, avantgarde and highly-educated states, strong stances on a safer world with more emphasis on basic gun control supported in some cases by up to 85-90% of the electorate, always seems to know what he's talking about)
JMT

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 12:45:18 PM »

Warren is beginning to look more and more likely to be Clinton's VP pick.

Out of everyone rumored to be on Clinton's VP short list Warren seems to be the most active on the campaign trail.

• She gave a full-throated endorsement of Hillary Clinton.
  • She's delivered several scathing critiques of Donald Trump.
  • She recently visited Clinton at her private residence for an hour-long discussion.
  • Recently visited Clinton's campaign headquarters to motivate staffers
  • Harry Reid appears to be pushing for her to be Clintons VP
  • She, hands-down, has been given the most media coverage out of all the rumored VP choices.

Now with this recent event in Cincinnati, I'm almost 100% convinced it's going to be Warren. Why else would the Clinton campaign be hyping up Warren so much?

Here's a twitter post from Clinton today:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I also believe Warren wrote up a fundraising e-mail for the Clinton campaign recently. Everything just seems to be lining up perfectly for a Warren nomination.

Also, I don't know why everyone thinks Tim Kaine is the odds on favorite to be Clinton's VP pick. If anything, Kaine is the dark horse, and Warren is the odds on favorite.

I totally agree with this assessment. I think Warren will be the VP pick. However, I wouldn't call Kaine a "dark horse" candidate. Even though I think it'll be Warren, Kaine is likely still in the running and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Clinton decided to go with Kaine.
Reginald
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 01:14:41 PM »

As long as she doesn't choose Castro, she can't really go wrong among the people who are being commonly brought up. I think I like Perez the most. Comes across as really affable and not a total focus groupy pick, which is totally where Tim "But he can speak Spanish!" Kaine comes in. Also, that GOP oppo material on Perez was weak. I think she'll probably choose Kaine, but it's whatever. Warren's been given a lot of attention and is the second-most likely, but this in my mind could easily be just a publicity stunt for wayward Sanders supporters.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 02:39:47 PM »

Kaine
Perez
Brown

Would be my top 3.  Really Bayh is the only one on the list that I have a general dislike, though Castro does seem pretty green.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 03:31:10 PM »

Warren is beginning to look more and more likely to be Clinton's VP pick.

Out of everyone rumored to be on Clinton's VP short list Warren seems to be the most active on the campaign trail.

• She gave a full-throated endorsement of Hillary Clinton.
  • She's delivered several scathing critiques of Donald Trump.
  • She recently visited Clinton at her private residence for an hour-long discussion.
  • Recently visited Clinton's campaign headquarters to motivate staffers
  • Harry Reid appears to be pushing for her to be Clintons VP
  • She, hands-down, has been given the most media coverage out of all the rumored VP choices.

Now with this recent event in Cincinnati, I'm almost 100% convinced it's going to be Warren. Why else would the Clinton campaign be hyping up Warren so much?

Here's a twitter post from Clinton today:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I also believe Warren wrote up a fundraising e-mail for the Clinton campaign recently. Everything just seems to be lining up perfectly for a Warren nomination.

Also, I don't know why everyone thinks Tim Kaine is the odds on favorite to be Clinton's VP pick. If anything, Kaine is the dark horse, and Warren is the odds on favorite.

I totally agree with this assessment. I think Warren will be the VP pick. However, I wouldn't call Kaine a "dark horse" candidate. Even though I think it'll be Warren, Kaine is likely still in the running and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Clinton decided to go with Kaine.

I probably shouldn't have used the term "dark horse" to describe Kaine, but I was just trying to get this point across:

The Clinton campaign has made little to no movement when it comes to picking Kaine as their tickets VP.

However when it comes to Warren, it appears like the Clinton campaign is going out of their way to make it look like she's their pick for VP.

Occam's razor.

The Clinton campaign is either:

a) Making Warren look like Clintons VP because she's going to pick her.

b) Making Warren look like Clintons VP as a part of some elaborate media stunt aimed at shoring up support from Sanders supporters.

I tend to pick the simpler choice when it come to these kinds of things. In this case "a" would be the simpler explanation.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2016, 04:28:47 PM »

Lol that one Bernie vote.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2016, 04:36:15 PM »

jfern hoping that Bernie will slip cyanide in Hillary's drink on her first day in office.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2016, 08:00:33 AM »

What about the young senator from Connecticut, Chris Murphy?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies