New Zealand local elections, October 8th 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:51:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand local elections, October 8th 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Zealand local elections, October 8th 2016  (Read 711 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 23, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »

Local elections in New Zealand this October, finishing on the 8th. Here are the major races:

Auckland

Len Brown, the incumbent centre left mayor is stepping down. He was a fairly popular Mayor of the newly amalgamated city, but has been dogged in his second term with the revelation he was covering up his extramarital affair 🍆🍆💦💦. his most likely successor is Phil Goff, who you may remember as one of the wildly unsuccessful leaders of Labour after Clark stepped down. His competitors include right-wing businesswoman Victoria "vote for me cause I was CEO" Crone; centre-right Mark Thomas, who is third in some polls despite unsuccessfully trying to withdraw his own name from the ballot having given up halfway through; John Palino, the runner-up last time, associated with the Dirty Tricks crew and a murky involvement with the Len Brown sex scandal, running primarily on a SAVE OUR SUBURBS anti-densification, pro sprawl manifesto; David Hay who once made a hilariously botched leadership campaign of the Green Party and Chloe Swarbrick, who is playing the "Ben Wyatt: Kid Mayor" role.

Wellington

Wellington (which uses STV) is in a three way dogfight to replace incumbent Celia Wade Brown. CWB was a Green affiliate who has been a cyclemaniac during her time in office, although her plans for light rail or, err, bus rapid transit where derailed due to lack of money and focus. The major candidates are Jo Coughlan, whose BIG (and only?) PLAN is to build a bigger road to the airport (she's also married to a Connor English, brother of Bill - although she obviously keeps that Schtum; Nick Leggett a renegade ex-Labourite been blasted by Andrew Little as being backed by right wing money and finally CWB's chosen successor Justin Lester who has the full Labour machine keeping him afloat.

Christchurch

Incumbent Mayor and ex-Labour cabinet minister Lianne Dalziel seems to have scared off all opposition in the troubled post-quake city, with only a perennial candidate and some far-left activist bothering to even run against her.

tba maybe
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 03:16:44 PM »
« Edited: September 28, 2016, 03:19:34 PM by ClintonianCake »

Signs it was a good debate: a candidate has to deliver the statement "I was incredibly drunk" afterwards; but was only perhaps the third most embarrassing performance anyway.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11717970
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 11:44:40 AM »

Justin Lester wants to make Wellington great again by bringing kiwi back to Wellington. He would have my vote if I lived there. http://www.newshub.co.nz/politics/wellington-mayoral-candidates-big-idea-to-bring-kiwi-back-2016070701#axzz4DfCyIENT
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies