Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:48:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26
Author Topic: Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016  (Read 56210 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 09:42:29 PM »

I think the best thing that could happen would be for Corbyn to step down and enthusiastically back John McDonnell. McDonnell is basically the same as Corbyn on economics with the added benefit of having never been caught on tape praising Hamas. He could keep all of Corbyn's parliamentary support, probably hold on to a large chunk of his popular support, and hopefully win over some of the soft left and Old Labour MPs who only recently abandoned Corbyn.

For once I agree with you--that'd be an elegant and relatively painless solution to this mess, at least in the immediate term.

Instead, someone caught on tape praising IRA. That's much worse.

Oh. I wasn't aware of that.

sh**t.

Watson?

I meant than McDonnell is worse than Corbyn, as he was caught saying, back in 2003.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Such a leader would get bulldozed by opposition.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »

I think the best thing that could happen would be for Corbyn to step down and enthusiastically back John McDonnell. McDonnell is basically the same as Corbyn on economics with the added benefit of having never been caught on tape praising Hamas. He could keep all of Corbyn's parliamentary support, probably hold on to a large chunk of his popular support, and hopefully win over some of the soft left and Old Labour MPs who only recently abandoned Corbyn.

For once I agree with you--that'd be an elegant and relatively painless solution to this mess, at least in the immediate term.

Wouldn´t that describe both of them?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2016, 09:44:58 PM »

Oh. I wasn't aware of that.

sh**t.

Watson?

I meant than McDonnell is worse than Corbyn, as he was caught saying, back in 2003.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Such a leader would get bulldozed by opposition.

Yes, I knew what you meant. 'Watson?' was supposed to be a question as to whether shoving Tom Watson into the leadership might help the situation at all. Then I remembered that Angela Eagle has actually said she'll go for it and Watson hasn't.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2016, 09:45:14 PM »

If Corbyn survives, what do we think happens, especially at the top? Do the shadow ministers who resigned come crawling back or does he keep the latter-day 'Who? Who?' ministry?

I would think that if Corbyn survives, a big chunk of the PLP would have to to seriously reconsider their political future inside the party. With these levels of leader unpopularity within PLP it is very hard to see how the party could stay whole.
Well, they'd be free to create an out of touch elite establishment party instead. The world certainly needs another one of those.

They´ve done just fine beign exactly that for the last 90 years. I am, certainly, going to conjecture that they would prefer continuing being this, to outright disappearing.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2016, 09:48:37 PM »

I'm just absolutely baffled as to what Corbyn can possibly be thinking. Does he actually think he'll win people back if he defeats Eagle (or whoever)? Does he actually think Labour could possibly win a general election under him after this?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2016, 09:54:28 PM »

If Corbyn survives, what do we think happens, especially at the top? Do the shadow ministers who resigned come crawling back or does he keep the latter-day 'Who? Who?' ministry?

I would think that if Corbyn survives, a big chunk of the PLP would have to to seriously reconsider their political future inside the party. With these levels of leader unpopularity within PLP it is very hard to see how the party could stay whole.
Well, they'd be free to create an out of touch elite establishment party instead. The world certainly needs another one of those.

They´ve done just fine beign exactly that for the last 90 years. I am, certainly, going to conjecture that they would prefer continuing being this, to outright disappearing. He will continue winning in Islington North and he will have a few dozen fellow radicals from very leftwing districts, and he will have had the party molded in his image.
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 12:49:04 AM »

The shadow ministers who resigned wouldn't want anything to do with Corbyn, resulting in a weak and inexperienced shadow cabinet. It would be Christmas for the Tories, as they would get a free ride off of this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 03:59:53 AM »

If Corbyn actually still has the support of Labour members, he has every right to stay. I hope Labour members know better than that, though.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 04:10:32 AM »

It's funny how Jfern sounds even less right when he talks about UK politics; the idea that Corbyn is loyal to the party is shocking, considering he's spend the last 40 years opposing every single labour leader.

John Mcdonnell despite being seen as a more competent leader would be easier to bear in a leadership challenge- he'd need 37 signatures ( a stupid rule saying that you need 50 to trigger a leadership challenge,  but after that you only need 37) However JM is like Ken Livingstone, Dianne Abbott in that he's a acid tongued lefty- called for the Lynching of a tory MP, said he wanted to go back in time and kill Thatcher, praised IRA etc.

I want Tom Watson to challenge, as he is the only person who could beat Corbyn in my view. I'm hearing murmurings that the Trade Unions are not actually behind Corbyn- they're merely supporting him at the moment.

If Corbyn resigns it will be today- the SNP are trying to become the official opposition in the House of Commons ( as Labour don't have a full front bench, and have publicly declared they have no confidence in their leader) If the Whips all resign, trade unions tell him to go and JM team start to push back I expect Corbyn may quit tonight.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 04:39:12 AM »

If Corbyn actually still has the support of Labour members, he has every right to stay. I hope Labour members know better than that, though.

I would hope they want to actually be able to win a general election at some point in the not too distant future.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 06:55:20 AM »

Why would there be an influx of new members and why on Earth would they be expected to be anti-Corbyn?

Because there is one and because they seem to be.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 07:07:34 AM »

I must admit that I don't care about internal democracy and I don't care about the result of the leadership election. I tend to take the view that the membership of a party in the UK, as you have to pay money to join it, is composed of a relatively small and unrepresentative band of cranks and nutters (including, for disclosures sake, myself) and thus, in an ideal world, would be largely ignored when it comes to electing a leader, especially when that leader loses the the confidence of all of his colleagues except a narrow clique of hard left cultists.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 07:22:41 AM »

What is the cut-off date for someone to pay 3 pounds to be an registered supporter and be able to vote in the upcoming race.  If the Corbyn vote of 2015 were composed of far left radicals each paying 3 pounds to vote for him, then why doesn't the 140 LAB MPs just each pay 3000 pounds to sign up 1000 each anti-Corbyn voters and they can swamp Corbyn in the upcoming race.  3000 pounds sounds small when compared to being creamed by the CON in the upcoming race if we are to believe these 140 LAB MPs.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 07:57:59 AM »

Why would there be an influx of new members and why on Earth would they be expected to be anti-Corbyn?

Left-leaning Remain voters who were traumatized by the results and want to do something about it?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 08:02:57 AM »

Ed Milliband and Gordon Brown are both calling on Corbyn to resign.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2016, 09:17:59 AM »

Robert Peston apparently tweeted that 60% of the 13k new Labour members have done it to support Corbyn, as in, through the Momentum website.

I have to say, I voted for Corbyn back in August, but I won't be voting for him in the upcoming contest. Part of being worth voting for is having some ability to reach out beyond your hard core and actually sell a message.

That, and actually give a sh!t about things I find important.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2016, 10:44:04 AM »

SAUCE PLS
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2016, 11:19:20 AM »

Second is just anecdotal. Could be wrong.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »

It's funny how Jfern sounds even less right when he talks about UK politics; the idea that Corbyn is loyal to the party is shocking, considering he's spend the last 40 years opposing every single labour leader.

John Mcdonnell despite being seen as a more competent leader would be easier to bear in a leadership challenge- he'd need 37 signatures ( a stupid rule saying that you need 50 to trigger a leadership challenge,  but after that you only need 37) However JM is like Ken Livingstone, Dianne Abbott in that he's a acid tongued lefty- called for the Lynching of a tory MP, said he wanted to go back in time and kill Thatcher, praised IRA etc.

I want Tom Watson to challenge, as he is the only person who could beat Corbyn in my view. I'm hearing murmurings that the Trade Unions are not actually behind Corbyn- they're merely supporting him at the moment.

If Corbyn resigns it will be today- the SNP are trying to become the official opposition in the House of Commons ( as Labour don't have a full front bench, and have publicly declared they have no confidence in their leader) If the Whips all resign, trade unions tell him to go and JM team start to push back I expect Corbyn may quit tonight.
That will be hilarious, I wonder will happen if the SNP ran candidates outside Scotland
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »

What I've heard is that Corbyn wants to leave but his 'team' aka Seamus Milne wants him to stay. The man is human, and he's literally having the entire might of the party smashed against him.

I expect his resignation tonight
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2016, 11:41:28 AM »

That will be hilarious, I wonder will happen if the SNP ran candidates outside Scotland

No one is proposing that. Quebec Bloc was Official Opposition in Canada in the 90s without ever running outside Quebec.

Although there is precedent of the Irish Nationalist Party holding seats in England. Again though, the SNP wasn't even considering that. They just want the platform being Official Opposition provides.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2016, 12:21:50 PM »

No one is proposing that. Quebec Bloc was Official Opposition in Canada in the 90s without ever running outside Quebec.

Although there is precedent of the Irish Nationalist Party holding seats in England. Again though, the SNP wasn't even considering that. They just want the platform being Official Opposition provides.
I know...it was a what if, I don't think they'll win seats but they could definitely get nice numbers now
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2016, 12:30:02 PM »

Watson is not contesting it will probably be Eagle now.
Kezia dugdale who called on corbs to resign now wants to be shadow Scot sec., she's an MSP so not sure how that will work
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2016, 12:35:32 PM »

Why would the establishment pick Eagle over Watson? They need union support, which Watson could provide, and Eagle is tainted by her vote for the Iraq War.

Another triumph of identity politics.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2016, 12:43:10 PM »

Why would the establishment pick Eagle over Watson? They need union support, which Watson could provide, and Eagle is tainted by her vote for the Iraq War.

Another triumph of identity politics.
She's popular with the soft left and not a stranger to unions. The soft left is where this battle will be one
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies