Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:17:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26
Author Topic: Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016  (Read 56253 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: July 30, 2016, 05:22:56 PM »
« edited: July 30, 2016, 05:31:46 PM by Sibboleth »

Important thing, though, is that not everyone who voted for Corbyn last time/currently intends to this time is part of one of the various hard cores of support. The selectorate is very diverse.

But notably the Corbyn strategy is clearly to give the impression of inevitability; not illogical given that the risks increase the more people think it's a contest. Smith approach must be the inverse.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #376 on: July 31, 2016, 01:02:13 AM »

We could have ran Clive Lewis or Lisa Nandy against JC and we'd still face criticism- they support JC so they look for anything to attack them their opponent. The top 5 things I've heard from day 1 of phone banking

-'If Owen wanted to be leader why didn't he run in 2015?'

- 'I just don't know anything about Owen, but I know that Corbyn is honest/perfect/credible'

- 'Owen hasn't been an MP long enough'

- 'I support democracy'

- 'I don't like JC's policies, he's a weak leader but I just have to support Jeremy''

Most common criticism I hear of him is his ties to big Pharma.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #377 on: July 31, 2016, 02:11:18 AM »

We could have ran Clive Lewis or Lisa Nandy against JC and we'd still face criticism- they support JC so they look for anything to attack them their opponent. The top 5 things I've heard from day 1 of phone banking

-'If Owen wanted to be leader why didn't he run in 2015?'

- 'I just don't know anything about Owen, but I know that Corbyn is honest/perfect/credible'

- 'Owen hasn't been an MP long enough'

- 'I support democracy'

- 'I don't like JC's policies, he's a weak leader but I just have to support Jeremy''

Most common criticism I hear of him is his ties to big Pharma.

I haven't actually heard that yet over the phone-most labour members know very little about him. As with any selectorate you have people who spend too much time (myself) focused on this, and people who will not care at all.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #378 on: July 31, 2016, 10:14:49 AM »

Angry people on the internet aren't actually typical of Labour members, even the ones who plan to vote Corbyn.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #379 on: August 02, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »

Angry people on the internet aren't actually typical of anyone.

Fixed
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #380 on: August 02, 2016, 04:28:51 PM »

From what I've heard it's likely GMB will back Owen (Paul Kenny, their former leader endorsed him)+ I've also heard that Unison are moving closer to support him. Speaking to members the rank and file trade unions seem to be the most anti-Corbyn.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #381 on: August 04, 2016, 11:04:59 AM »

The rank and file trade unionists largely don't vote in the election though.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #382 on: August 04, 2016, 12:16:03 PM »

They should see if tony blair wants to make a comeback lol
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #383 on: August 04, 2016, 01:14:28 PM »

Far, far more people would support expelling Blair from the party than his return as leader. And I'm referring to the people in the PLP as opposed to the wider membership.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #384 on: August 04, 2016, 01:36:07 PM »

Far, far more people would support expelling Blair from the party than his return as leader. And I'm referring to the people in the PLP as opposed to the wider membership.
I'm joking but it's funny considering he is the only person to lead labor to victory since the 1970's
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #385 on: August 04, 2016, 01:44:46 PM »

I'm joking but it's funny considering he is the only person to lead labor to victory since the 1970's

Pretty much anyone could have done so in 1997.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #386 on: August 05, 2016, 06:04:33 AM »

Which is what everyone was saying in 1990, about 1992.

Blair's achievement in 1997 wasn't winning- it was winning in Seats that hadn't elected Labour MP's since 1945, and will probably never again.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #387 on: August 05, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »

Blair's achievement in 1997 wasn't winning- it was winning in Seats that hadn't elected Labour MP's since 1945, and will probably never again.
John Smith's one last heave strategy probably would have given labour a solid majority had he lived but not on the same scale as Tony Blair was able tobget
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #388 on: August 05, 2016, 07:04:36 PM »

He was also a major catalyst in both the state the Labour party is in now, and in the massive disillusionment with politics that occurred under his premiership.

I mean, a huge element of Labour struggles with the working classes, possibly even a cause of their major defection to UKIP and to voting to leave the EU, was Blair's liberalism - both economic and social liberalism.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #389 on: August 05, 2016, 08:24:16 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2016, 08:31:24 PM by Ronnie »

What are everyone's thoughts on the Smith-Corbyn debate that happened yesterday?  Unless I'm missing something, nobody has even mentioned it yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsIb64pCMP8

I like Smith's passion, but it seems his plea for unity within and electability of the Labour Party will fall on deaf ears.  Just like the Republican base in the US, Labour voters seem to want someone who reflects their values more than someone who would have a better chance at winning an election.

That said, I'm not sure even a Smith-led party would have what it takes to win.

On a tangential note, I thought this article contrasting Corbyn's kind of resilience from Hillary Clinton's is pretty compelling:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/jeremy-corbyn-could-learn-hillary-clinton-about-fighting-power-1572904
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #390 on: August 06, 2016, 01:58:26 AM »

I mean, a huge element of Labour struggles with the working classes, possibly even a cause of their major defection to UKIP and to voting to leave the EU, was Blair's liberalism - both economic and social liberalism.

Yeah, I mean it's a pretty telling fact that Labour won about a million less votes in the landslide of 2001 than they did in 1992 even with a larger percentage share.

Just like the Republican base in the US, Labour voters seem to want someone who reflects their values more than someone who would have a better chance at winning an election.

But with Trump I think it's less a case of him sharing their values and more a case of him sharing their way of expressing themselves. If John Mann were on the hard left and were leader then he'd be a better analogy to Trump...though I doubt most Labour members share his way of expressing themselves.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #391 on: August 06, 2016, 06:56:25 AM »

Lazy slippage between 'voters' and 'members' is to be avoided at all costs.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #392 on: August 06, 2016, 07:12:43 AM »

Lazy slippage between 'voters' and 'members' is to be avoided at all costs.

So most of the 9 million 2015 Labour voters *aren't* sandal-wearers?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #393 on: August 07, 2016, 03:57:29 PM »

If anyone is bored feel free to come to my CLP meeting next week and watch me do a crap imitation of Neil Kinnock's 'A Labour Council, a Laaaabour council' speech
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #394 on: August 08, 2016, 11:32:43 AM »

In further 'Labour Party to change name to 'Jerry Springer Party' news...

Ignoring any appeal issues, then direct implications for this election are probably surprisingly slight (most of the new members are now RSs) but significant indirect implications; definite administrative headache (will it even be possible to carry out the election to the set timetable?), possible financial one as well. There is also now an urgent need to revise the rulebook as it apparently has no real legal standing, but who would be trusted to do that?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #395 on: August 08, 2016, 11:34:01 AM »

Meanwhile USDAW's exec endorses Smith. Not really a surprise. Interesting union of course; fourth largest affiliate and growing but hasn't concentrated much on throwing its weight around politically. Will this change?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #396 on: August 08, 2016, 02:02:51 PM »

In all fairness they're the token 'right wing' union who Endorsed Burnham last year. I've heard that GMB will endorse Owen, and that Unison could follow. Despite all the talk we had about unions they're truly dying even in the Labour Party- only 70,000 voted last Summer. The only power they have is their cash, and stopping Unilateralism passing.

In other news the Grassroots slate has romped home in the NEC elections- increased the Corbyn Majority by 2. I'm not an expert on the NEC at all, but I spoke to several people who didn't vote because they had no idea (I think my first one was in 2014 and I literally voted by seeing who I liked in the book)

Final news- I expect that Jess Phillips and others could be planning on resigning the Whip if Corbyn wins...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #397 on: August 08, 2016, 02:07:15 PM »

It increases his de facto majority by one actually; the PLP voted on their section last month at it was -1 for the Left.

But if you effectively (if not officially) run seven candidates for six seats and are organisationally weaker than your opponents can you really be surprised that you miss out?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #398 on: August 08, 2016, 02:13:55 PM »

It increases his de facto majority by one actually; the PLP voted on their section last month at it was -1 for the Left.

But if you effectively (if not officially) run seven candidates for six seats and are organisationally weaker than your opponents can you really be surprised that you miss out?

Still +2 overall for the left; Angela Eagle was replaced by Jon Trickett as an Opposition Front Bench representative which neutralises the shift in Division V upon Skinner's retirement.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #399 on: August 08, 2016, 03:43:14 PM »

Why the hell was Skinner elected for the PLP slot?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies