Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:48:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 26
Author Topic: Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016  (Read 56206 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: August 23, 2016, 11:39:11 PM »

Guess which prominent American leftist just endorsed Jeremy Corbyn.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #451 on: August 24, 2016, 05:51:07 AM »

Ugh. I thought Corbyn was at least above this kind of dishonesty. At this point I'll be heartbroken if he still somehow wins.

Of all the reasons to be heartbroken about a candidate's dishonesty, "staging a campaign video to argue for more public transit spending" is all things considered pretty mild, no?
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #452 on: August 24, 2016, 07:50:21 AM »

Cast my vote yesterday. Voted for the more moderate and reasonable candidate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #453 on: August 24, 2016, 08:07:06 AM »

Ugh. I thought Corbyn was at least above this kind of dishonesty. At this point I'll be heartbroken if he still somehow wins.

Of all the reasons to be heartbroken about a candidate's dishonesty, "staging a campaign video to argue for more public transit spending" is all things considered pretty mild, no?

I already dislike Corbyn for his boneheaded brand of leftism, his ability to alienate everybody and his total lack of any political sense. I thought honesty was his one saving grace.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #454 on: August 24, 2016, 10:16:36 AM »

Or has he?

All aboard the clown car etc.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #455 on: August 24, 2016, 05:08:56 PM »

I just sent in my ballot, Owen Smith in the end.

And re the train thing, all Corbyn needed to do would be to take any commuter train around London or Manchester at peak hours to have made his point, how hard could it be?

Although uber-parasite branson getting involved in partisan politics in this way, at this particular time, is pretty despicable tbh. The East Coast mainline has become significantly worse since it was re-privatised.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #456 on: August 24, 2016, 09:50:38 PM »

Would I be wrong to say that momentum has shifted to Smith?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #457 on: August 24, 2016, 10:16:22 PM »

Yes, you would be wrong.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #458 on: August 25, 2016, 02:45:11 AM »

Yes, you would be wrong.

And 'momentum' tends to count for less in party internal elections anyway.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #459 on: August 25, 2016, 05:27:01 AM »

Yes, you would be wrong.

the result will be a lot closer than people expect
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #460 on: August 25, 2016, 08:44:53 AM »

Well, if even Blair has given up, I guess we can safely say RIP Smith... and RIP Labour.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #461 on: August 25, 2016, 10:34:12 AM »

No one really knows for sure what's going on; the selectorate is not known and there's no reason to assume that different parts of it will move in the same direction. Which is problematic in terms of attempting to survey it in any form (are you talking to the right people? etc). There hasn't been a single published poll since the very start of the process and even if there was one there would be inevitable question marks (given the above issue) as to accuracy. There have been straws in the wind but they can be argued in different directions (and have).
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #462 on: August 25, 2016, 05:00:45 PM »

Just watched a clip from one of the Corbyn-Smith debates, and it's actually painfully noticeable that Smith is a bit of a gobby motormouth who speaks before engaging his brain. I mean, he's addressing an audience which seems to be pretty pro-Corbyn anyway and he just jumps straight on the hook by questioning whether Corbyn voted Remain or not and then proceeding to make a rather mean spirited (and easily countered) sideswipe at John McDonnell for failing to attend a rally, when apparently he had health problems. I really do think that swinging behind Smith was a big mistake for the PLP.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #463 on: August 26, 2016, 03:02:08 AM »

I really do think that swinging behind Smith was a big mistake for the PLP.

Say what you will about Corbyn but he would have never pretended to be a moderate in (for instance) 2007 to give himself a chance of winning the leadership.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #464 on: August 26, 2016, 08:11:18 AM »

What's wrong with questioning how Corbyn voted? The EU seems to be the one issue that divides Corbyn and his base.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #465 on: August 26, 2016, 12:10:02 PM »

What's wrong with questioning how Corbyn voted? The EU seems to be the one issue that divides Corbyn and his base.

Well obviously only he knows that for sure. His supposed lack of passion in campaigning for Remain is surely a more important issue.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #466 on: August 26, 2016, 03:11:22 PM »

As I've said a million times we can thank the heavens that we've got Owen, and not Angela Eagle.

Even others like Dan Jarvis or Keir Starmer (both unknowns) lacked the experience to take on Corbyn. Labour crop of talent is awful at the moment- as I've also said hundreds of times in 2010 we should have had Harman, Johnson, or D Miliband rather than skipping a generation
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #467 on: August 26, 2016, 08:40:31 PM »

As I've said a million times we can thank the heavens that we've got Owen, and not Angela Eagle.

Even others like Dan Jarvis or Keir Starmer (both unknowns) lacked the experience to take on Corbyn. Labour crop of talent is awful at the moment- as I've also said hundreds of times in 2010 we should have had Harman, Johnson, or D Miliband rather than skipping a generation

Harriett Harman? There is actually people liking her? Even the moderates I know in Labour Party don't like her.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #468 on: August 27, 2016, 04:55:12 AM »

This is painful to watch even for somebody used to the internal wars in the Italian center-left.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #469 on: August 28, 2016, 07:22:56 AM »

Harriett Harman? There is actually people liking her? Even the moderates I know in Labour Party don't like her.

She was often mocked (because God forbid a female leader is a outspoken feminist) but was a competent character- her 2007 deputy leadership election is the most impressive internal victory considering she was expected to come 4th.

My point was that we needed a big name from 2010-2015; we made the mistakes the Tories made with going for Hague in 97, and then IDS in 2001.

Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #470 on: August 29, 2016, 07:48:38 AM »

Theresa May rn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orYcAiFqknU
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #471 on: August 30, 2016, 12:27:29 PM »

A girl I used to see told me she voted for corbs (and she's Welsh nonetheless), I just gave her a 30 minutes bollocking on it. I fear Smith will stay under 45%
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #472 on: August 30, 2016, 08:35:39 PM »

Poll Boost for Jeremy Corbyn in Labour Leadership Battle
By Jack Maidment
August 31 (Press Association) -- Jeremy Corbyn has a 24 point lead over Owen Smith in the Labour leadership contest, according to a new poll.
A YouGov survey for The Times of those entitled to vote in the contest puts the current Labour leader on 62% with Mr Smith trailing on 38%.
Mr Corbyn received just shy of 60% of the vote when he was elected to the job in September 2015.
The new poll is likely to give Mr Corbyn's campaign a boost as the fight for votes continues.
However, it will do little to assuage the concerns of the 172 Labour MPs who backed a no-confidence motion in Mr Corbyn -a move which ultimately led to Mr Smith's challenge.
The poll puts Mr Corbyn ahead in all three groups of people who are eligible to take part in the vote.
It found that 52% of full members intend to back Mr Corbyn compared to 40% for Mr Smith.
Meanwhile, among registered supporters it was 70% to 25% in favour of Mr Corbyn.
Mr Corbyn also has the backing of the union affiliates by 54% to 33%.
An estimated 640,000 members and supporters have been tasked with choosing between the pair.
Voting in the contest is already under way with a winner to be announced on September 24.
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #473 on: August 31, 2016, 03:56:08 AM »

Corbyn is the one true religion. And there's not much Labour can do about it. And I think the MP's might be too feart to split, even with the fear of deselection.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #474 on: August 31, 2016, 05:16:23 AM »

I always thought that Smith could at least get to 43-45%.

Shocking thing is 68% of members who joined before GE 2015 support Smith. These are the people who canvass, work as Councillors etc. Labour's 500,000 is a paper tiger
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies