Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:53:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26]
Author Topic: Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016  (Read 56271 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: September 25, 2016, 02:03:59 PM »

Theresa May will be likely in power by 2025, and the Labour Party is in grave danger. This is what happens when you allow far-left fringe kooks to take over a once grand party. Yes, Blairism/Brownism/Milibandism had some flaws, but Corbyn is too pacifist to win Britain's minds. Can you see a Prime Minister Corbyn under a international crisis?

May will probably be there until 2025. If not, the Tories could pick Johnson or Hammond as a successor.

I sort of agree, but then I remember that up until about 18 months ago, the Atlas as talking about how demographic changes had ensured the Tories would never win a majority again Tongue Anything can happen.
vileplume
« Reply #626 on: September 25, 2016, 02:19:03 PM »

And for the record I don't think the media has by and large been overly harsh on Jeremy Corbyn in fact I would argue they have gone rather easy compared to what they could have done, but expect the really damning news stories to hit right around April 2020 so they have maximum impact. Mostly the press has just called Corbyn a useless leader (true by any definition of the word 'useless'), warned he will lead Labour to a crashing defeat (backed up by overwhelming evidence) and reported on whatever idiotic statement/action he had come out with that week (Traingate, calling for Article 50 to be triggered immediately, suggesting after work drinks should be banned etc.). As much as Corbynistas wail that they've been 'harsh' you simply cannot pull positive news stories out of mid-air and in bleak times for Labour the news cycle will obviously also be bleak. But as I said in my previous post with regards to negative stories on Corbyn and co. we've just seen the tip of the iceberg...
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #627 on: September 25, 2016, 05:26:49 PM »

Eh Theresa May is very good at appearing moderate- her entire record seems to be a mix of fleeting indecision (Brexit campaigning) and complete disregard (Grammar Schools/Nasty Party speech)

As we've already seen if the Cameroon faction push hard she's going to struggle
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #628 on: September 25, 2016, 05:27:22 PM »

What I don't think the Corbynistas fully realise is even if the Tories do screw up Brexit Labour has an Achilles heel that it is almost impossible to overcome, that is Corbyn's past. Corbyn, McDonnell and the people around them have some very unpleasant skeletons in their closet which the media has not even begun to trawl through. If you think the press has been hard on Corbyn up to this point let me tell you this now: you ain't seen nothing yet.

I mean having a quick scan through Hansard gives you idea enough.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #629 on: September 25, 2016, 07:07:54 PM »

What I don't think the Corbynistas fully realise is even if the Tories do screw up Brexit Labour has an Achilles heel that it is almost impossible to overcome, that is Corbyn's past. Corbyn, McDonnell and the people around them have some very unpleasant skeletons in their closet
The last Prime Minister was once a prick in a tuxedo with his dick inside a dead pig's mouth. I think skeletons in the closet can come and go...
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #630 on: September 25, 2016, 07:15:15 PM »

*If* those who say that Corbyn's low energy campaign lost Remain the referendum are right and *if* he secretly wanted/voted for Brexit, then he's arguably the most successful and impactful Labour leader ever, with the possible exception of Attlee.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #631 on: September 25, 2016, 07:19:07 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2016, 07:31:15 PM by Phony Moderate »

What I don't think the Corbynistas fully realise is even if the Tories do screw up Brexit Labour has an Achilles heel that it is almost impossible to overcome, that is Corbyn's past. Corbyn, McDonnell and the people around them have some very unpleasant skeletons in their closet
The last Prime Minister was once a prick in a tuxedo with his dick inside a dead pig's mouth. I think skeletons in the closet can come and go...

Weren't Alec Douglas-Home and Rab Butler both supporters of appeasement? I suppose the argument would be that Labour and the media didn't make much of that whereas the Tories and the media would of Corbyn's past...but look at the recent Republican race (in which tens of millions of people voted rather than just half a million party members). Trump claiming to be a true conservative despite various donations to liberal politicians, past statements etc. His rivals and the media constantly brought those facts up, but to no avail. If Corbyn does lead the party to a big defeat (which is possible) then I would suggest that his past would not be a big factor.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #632 on: September 25, 2016, 07:24:43 PM »

And let's not forget his jaunt to apartheid South Africa
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #633 on: September 25, 2016, 08:11:21 PM »

One thing to keep in mind is that the Tories or interests that support them more or less control the British press. Being "as good as the Tories" will never be good enough for a Labour leader, they have to be beyond any reproach or else they will be demolished.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #634 on: September 25, 2016, 08:15:23 PM »

That was a total lie, btw.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #635 on: September 25, 2016, 09:14:05 PM »

Does ram-packed mean the same as jam-packed?
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #636 on: September 25, 2016, 10:47:44 PM »

*If* those who say that Corbyn's low energy campaign lost Remain the referendum are right and *if* he secretly wanted/voted for Brexit, then he's arguably the most successful and impactful Labour leader ever, with the possible exception of Attlee.

Didn't something like 70% of Labour supporters vote Remain?  How much more could have a stronger pro-EU campaign obtained, realistically?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #637 on: September 26, 2016, 01:50:41 AM »

Now I know how RINO Tom, Vosem and the others feel about the GOP.

and me
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #638 on: September 26, 2016, 10:34:06 AM »

Didn't something like 70% of Labour supporters vote Remain?  How much more could have a stronger pro-EU campaign obtained, realistically?

There was some opinion polling before the election which indicated that 50% of Labour supporters weren't even aware of the Labour party's position.

Anecdotally, I know of at least two people who voted leave because they trusted their MP, who supported the leave campaign. Their MP was Alan Johnson, noted remain campaigner.

Incidentally, it was about 64% of Labour supporters who voted remain, if as many as 70% had, it probably would have swung the result.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #639 on: September 26, 2016, 02:37:39 PM »

Conference has been an hilarous sh**t show today
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom