Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:14:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016  (Read 56341 times)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: July 06, 2016, 10:28:07 PM »

Tangentially related, but still pertinent - I still can't believe Blair torpedoed his career, public image (nationally and abroad) by going into Iraq. I literally can't fathom it. He was so concerned about polls and winning the next election during his first term. It's mystifying.

Anyway, the entire thing about Corbyn being able to produce more backers at a never-ending rate as if they are off a conveyor belt is rather silly. I suppose he is grabbing disaffected non-voting people or members of the Green Party (I'm curious as to the latter's status in that area), and that isn't an option for the other end of the party. I suppose they could try to lore back people from UKIP, but...
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 09:50:38 PM »

Would I be wrong to say that momentum has shifted to Smith?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 03:20:20 PM »

Are we going to talk about the UB40... thing... all aspects of it... or are we all going to look down at our shoes in a sheepish and embarrassed manner? I think the latter makes the most sense.

Anyway the vote in the PLP on ShadCab elections was passed 169 to 34. It will now go to the NEC. If approved there it will then go to Conference.

Is it likely that it will pass either?
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 08:57:04 PM »

Question for the brits here from all parties, how do you think Owen Smith would do as Labour leader if he was to take over from Corbyn?

He'd probably get a polling bump; but based on the campaign I can't imagine that he'd be much better and that bump might not be a long term one.  If he won I doubt that he'd go into the next election as leader anyway, I think that if the not-Corbyn bit of the Labour party won this then they'd try to change the party rules to make it hard for a candidate of the left to win again, then he'd stand down and they'd elect someone else.  Could be wrong though!

Probably wouldn't be a great idea for there to be 3 leaders in 5 years, and I don't think the Left can be put down again with ease. Not saying that wouldn't be tried, but it would be really stupid.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 11:08:50 AM »

Theresa May will be likely in power by 2025, and the Labour Party is in grave danger. This is what happens when you allow far-left fringe kooks to take over a once grand party. Yes, Blairism/Brownism/Milibandism had some flaws, but Corbyn is too pacifist to win Britain's minds. Can you see a Prime Minister Corbyn under a international crisis?

May will probably be there until 2025. If not, the Tories could pick Johnson or Hammond as a successor.

You heard it here first, folks.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies