Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:07:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016  (Read 56352 times)
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« on: August 17, 2016, 07:35:02 AM »

Yet another surreal 2016 moment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37104864

Surely the Blairite Smith supporters won't take this too well?

oh ffs owen
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 04:24:38 PM »

Only if there a few disappointed missuses voting Corbyn.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 07:48:38 AM »

Theresa May rn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orYcAiFqknU
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 08:21:27 AM »

FWIW, I don't think Corbyn is far-left by any definition. He's a bland keynesian at best.
ok then brother gg
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 04:57:45 AM »

This election is a national disgrace.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 05:49:41 AM »

Are you not a supporter of the Conservative Party? If I was, I would be quite excited about the next election. Theresa May will probably lead the Conservative Party to its biggest win since Margaret Thatcher. It's not hard to see how she appeals to the average person. From a political standpoint, she should call an election within the the next few months. I think she'd be a lock in a strong majority mandate for a full five years.
No, I live in Northern Ireland, and I support the SDLP. Even if I was a Tory, I'd still find this contest utterly shameful, even if it was resulting in better performances from my party.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 07:10:46 AM »

If it's going to happen, it'll have to involve the Lib Dems "re-splitting" into their Liberal and SDP factions, and the SDP half becoming a safe-space for non-Corbynite Labour...
Why?
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 04:19:56 AM »

I think much of the discussion on the supposed downfall of labour is greatly exaggerated, they're only polling a couple points below their 2010 and 2015 levels, and even with a loss of seats in 2020 a government in 2025 is certainly attainable with May likely to lose some popularity and labour being led by someone halfway competent
There is no guarantee of that.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 08:49:46 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/11/owen-smith-labour-should-seek-british-return-to-eu-if-brexit-means-tory-austerity

This is the last straw for me. I just can't.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2016, 09:09:16 AM »

Both of these candidates are just plain awful.

I'd take Andy Burnham over either of them. Bloody hell, I'd take David Miliband over either of them, that's how bad it is.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 12:28:24 AM »

Why didn't Yvette Cooper run for leadership again? She seems like someone that could righted the ship, so to speak.
Since she got about 17% last time?
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2016, 01:38:03 AM »

Would you say the UK Labour Party = US Republican Party in future troubles
No, because no matter how bad Trump does, the GOP will still have considerable power downballot.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 02:13:26 PM »

For the talk of electability, labour probably lost more votes because of the leadership election, with the Owen Smith coup (or campaign) against Corbyn, then when Corbyn was actually leader before the EU referendum, to which Corbyn, leading the party was par with the 2015 eleciton results, sometimes beating the 2015 election results in polls.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/poll-working-class-voters-think-jeremy-corbyn-is-out-of-touch-and-an-election-loser-a7326486.html
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 02:22:28 PM »

For the talk of electability, labour probably lost more votes because of the leadership election, with the Owen Smith coup (or campaign) against Corbyn, then when Corbyn was actually leader before the EU referendum, to which Corbyn, leading the party was par with the 2015 eleciton results, sometimes beating the 2015 election results in polls.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/poll-working-class-voters-think-jeremy-corbyn-is-out-of-touch-and-an-election-loser-a7326486.html

A few months of Owen "Let's sit down with ISIS" Smith as leader would make those figures look excellent.
I don't support Owen 'Let's ignore the referendum" Smith either, btw.

Jon Cruddas where art thou
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 02:50:56 PM »

A few months of Owen "Let's sit down with ISIS" Smith as leader would make those figures look excellent.
I don't support Owen 'Let's ignore the referendum" Smith either, btw.

Jon Cruddas where art thou

He's a fascinating figure...but clearly not an ambitious one, aisde from that run at deputy in 2007. My gut feeling is that Corbyn will stand aside in a couple of years in favour of one of his own - perhaps Clive Lewis or Richard Burgon.
I wouldn't mind Lewis, but Burgon is utter rubbish.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2016, 06:12:09 AM »

ayy lmao
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2016, 08:15:23 PM »

What I don't think the Corbynistas fully realise is even if the Tories do screw up Brexit Labour has an Achilles heel that it is almost impossible to overcome, that is Corbyn's past. Corbyn, McDonnell and the people around them have some very unpleasant skeletons in their closet
The last Prime Minister was once a prick in a tuxedo with his dick inside a dead pig's mouth. I think skeletons in the closet can come and go...
That was a total lie, btw.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies