Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:48:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016  (Read 56380 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

« on: June 28, 2016, 08:53:54 PM »

If Corbyn survives, what do we think happens, especially at the top? Do the shadow ministers who resigned come crawling back or does he keep the latter-day 'Who? Who?' ministry?

I would think that if Corbyn survives, a big chunk of the PLP would have to to seriously reconsider their political future inside the party. With these levels of leader unpopularity within PLP it is very hard to see how the party could stay whole.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 09:43:34 PM »

I think the best thing that could happen would be for Corbyn to step down and enthusiastically back John McDonnell. McDonnell is basically the same as Corbyn on economics with the added benefit of having never been caught on tape praising Hamas. He could keep all of Corbyn's parliamentary support, probably hold on to a large chunk of his popular support, and hopefully win over some of the soft left and Old Labour MPs who only recently abandoned Corbyn.

For once I agree with you--that'd be an elegant and relatively painless solution to this mess, at least in the immediate term.

Instead, someone caught on tape praising IRA. That's much worse.

Wouldn´t that describe both of them?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 09:45:14 PM »

If Corbyn survives, what do we think happens, especially at the top? Do the shadow ministers who resigned come crawling back or does he keep the latter-day 'Who? Who?' ministry?

I would think that if Corbyn survives, a big chunk of the PLP would have to to seriously reconsider their political future inside the party. With these levels of leader unpopularity within PLP it is very hard to see how the party could stay whole.
Well, they'd be free to create an out of touch elite establishment party instead. The world certainly needs another one of those.

They´ve done just fine beign exactly that for the last 90 years. I am, certainly, going to conjecture that they would prefer continuing being this, to outright disappearing.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 09:54:28 PM »

Well, they'd be free to create an out of touch elite establishment party instead. The world certainly needs another one of those.

They´ve done just fine beign exactly that for the last 90 years. I am, certainly, going to conjecture that they would prefer continuing being this, to outright disappearing. He will continue winning in Islington North and he will have a few dozen fellow radicals from very leftwing districts, and he will have had the party molded in his image.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 06:15:58 PM »

Ugh. I thought Corbyn was at least above this kind of dishonesty. At this point I'll be heartbroken if he still somehow wins.

What do you mean by "somehow"?
Clarification to the foreign posters: he will win.

Well, another reason to be hopefull about the LibDems Smiley
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 07:01:30 PM »

I mean, this is a political disaster. Britain has no opposition to speak of. Why should any English voter who does not like the Conservatives not vote Libdem at this point?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 11:39:09 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2016, 11:40:58 PM by ag »

I mean, this is a political disaster. Britain has no opposition to speak of. Why should any English voter who does not like the Conservatives not vote Libdem at this point?

Stop trying to make they LibDems happen. They're not going to happen.

Well, in that case England will become a one-party nation. Please get ready to welcome (for a short time) SNP as the official opposition. Unless, of course, UKIP volunteers. Labour, surely, is trying to get itself out of the job.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 01:23:18 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 01:25:14 AM by ag »

I think that the various tattered parts of the Remain camp need to put the Referendum firmly behind
, united around the LibDems into a strong pro-European party and try to hold the balance of power, making sure that any realistic UK government, be it Conservative or Labour led, gets committed to strong European integration in one way or another.

True, it is likely that re-entry into Europe will take a generation, but the goal should always be clearly stated and distancing from European institutions should be prevented. Hopefully, by mid 2040s England will be back in the EU.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 08:06:33 PM »

Odd Tweet by the Owen Smith campaign: https://twitter.com/owensmith2016/status/778307742289186816

They appear to be saying, "Vote Owen Smith, get a Conservative landslide"...

At this point, it is get Conservative landslide whatever you do. Migh as well relax and try to make it pleasurable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies