Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:12:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Labour Party (UK) Leadership Election, 2016  (Read 56372 times)
Hifly
hifly15

« on: August 08, 2016, 02:13:55 PM »

It increases his de facto majority by one actually; the PLP voted on their section last month at it was -1 for the Left.

But if you effectively (if not officially) run seven candidates for six seats and are organisationally weaker than your opponents can you really be surprised that you miss out?

Still +2 overall for the left; Angela Eagle was replaced by Jon Trickett as an Opposition Front Bench representative which neutralises the shift in Division V upon Skinner's retirement.

Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2016, 05:34:39 PM »

Why the hell was Skinner elected for the PLP slot?

He wasn't. He lost the seat in 2014 (came 4th), but then filled the position of John Healey (the right-winger who defeated him) who was promoted to Corbyn's shadow cabinet last year.

Jon Trickett replaced Eagle in one of the 3 Shadow Cabinet NEC spots, so this year has yielded a net gain of 2 for the Left on the body.

If anyone is bored feel free to come to my CLP meeting next week and watch me do a crap imitation of Neil Kinnock's 'A Labour Council, a Laaaabour council' speech
Which CLP are you gracing your presence with?
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 03:29:38 PM »

Why the hell was Skinner elected for the PLP slot?

He wasn't. He lost the seat in 2014 (came 4th), but then filled the position of John Healey (the right-winger who defeated him) who was promoted to Corbyn's shadow cabinet last year.

Jon Trickett replaced Eagle in one of the 3 Shadow Cabinet NEC spots, so this year has yielded a net gain of 2 for the Left on the body.

If anyone is bored feel free to come to my CLP meeting next week and watch me do a crap imitation of Neil Kinnock's 'A Labour Council, a Laaaabour council' speech
Which CLP are you gracing your presence with?

Lewisham West and Penge. Was called a racist last time I spoke so it can't go any worse

Fantastic result!
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 02:31:55 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2016, 02:34:33 PM by Hifly »

I would like to echo the sentiment above and extend it to all threads on European politics in general.
Most other threads in this subforum have been hijacked and rendered virtually illiterate and impossible to read because of American posters.

We are lucky that content has been maintained sensibly in this particular thread and I would encourage the Americans to please desist without employing the brain in the first instance.

I am looking forward to the next thread on "Which European Parliament political group would you be a member of".
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 02:12:06 PM »

Ugh. I thought Corbyn was at least above this kind of dishonesty. At this point I'll be heartbroken if he still somehow wins.

What do you mean by "somehow"?
Clarification to the foreign posters: he will win.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2016, 10:43:55 PM »

Ah! I remember internal phone bank data from Andy Burnham's campaign back in the days of yore.

No, soz that won't be the result.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies