The electoral vote maps today in 2008 and 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:48:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The electoral vote maps today in 2008 and 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The electoral vote maps today in 2008 and 2012  (Read 971 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2016, 01:56:29 PM »

2008:

http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2008/Pres/Maps/Jun28.html

2012:

http://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2012/Pres/Maps/Jun28.html

2016 is still a grey map ...
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:59:51 PM »

They will submit a map after the convention. I don't know why exactly, but we'll have to wait a little more. But this site actually provides the best electoral map.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 02:01:39 PM »

Heh, Ras came out with a crappy Connecticut poll around this time in 2008. What a surprise.
skoods
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »

I have been following this site since I was a Junior in high school in 2004. Great site.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 08:20:59 AM »

I have been following this site since I was a Junior in high school in 2004. Great site.

Electoral-vote was an obsession of mine in 2004 and 2008, as was the Atlas.  I was the ripe old age of 27, a newlywed, with only a little bit of gray in my beard Smiley.

When I was a junior in high school Hillarycare was being debated in Congress, and Newt was preparing his Contract with America.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 08:37:11 AM »

Nice site, yes. I was following the site four years ago. Hope they come up with a map soon.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 08:40:00 AM »

Connecticut and Oregon 'Barely Dem' in 2008? Oh man, this probably means there some junk polling going on right now as well.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 11:03:28 AM »

The maps were largely accurate if you remove the shading. 08's map missed Nevada (which swung heavily toward the Democrats after the financial crisis) and North Carolina (which was decided by 14,000 votes), and Florida's tie swinging to Obama. 2012 was even better at this point, only missing Iowa (whose polling remained close until Election Day). Perhaps these early polls are worth more than the experts give them credit for.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 12:53:15 PM »

As a Linux user since 1998 it utterly blew me away when the Votemaster revealed himself at Andy Tanenbaum.  Everyone in the geek community knew him from his raging flame wars with Linus Torvalds over kernel architecture.  That came utterly out of left field, because Tanenbaum was a) not a known political analyst of any sort, b) had been an expat for decades and c) was, in fact, a minor celebrity.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 02:44:24 PM »

The maps were largely accurate if you remove the shading. 08's map missed Nevada (which swung heavily toward the Democrats after the financial crisis) and North Carolina (which was decided by 14,000 votes), and Florida's tie swinging to Obama. 2012 was even better at this point, only missing Iowa (whose polling remained close until Election Day). Perhaps these early polls are worth more than the experts give them credit for.

Early polls can show trends that people from outside the state might not know. In 2008 Obama was often ahead in Indiana, a state which just doesn't ever go for a Democratic nominee for President. But I live near the Indiana line, and I then got some Indiana television... and I got the impression that Republicans were running scared. Virginia? We all knew that Virginia was solidly Republican. If it was the only former Confederate state that Jimmy Carter could not win and if Bill Clinton never won it despite seeming to be an unusually-good fit as a Democratic nominee for the state, then it was never going to go Democratic.

Polls tell us something -- like where some politicians have vulnerabilities. The common wisdom is not enough. Politicians can make more appearances in places that they think might be good for some visits. So if Indiana is within 2% of flipping Democratic, then maybe Hillary Clinton might stop by Indianapolis on the way from Albuquerque to Pittsburgh. Parties can spend resources against vulnerable opponents on the other side or shore up their own in trouble. They can also tell a politician "You're not winning there, so forget it". 

Polls can tell us if campaign pitches work.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 01:06:11 AM »

It's still grey.

They might as well start their maps now, with all the recent polls out ...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies