Donald Trump calls for AMEXIT
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:11:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Donald Trump calls for AMEXIT
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Donald Trump calls for AMEXIT  (Read 1218 times)
Human
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2016, 06:24:15 PM »

Trump threatening AMEXIT.

"Donald Trump on Tuesday said he will demand a renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) between the United States, Mexico and Canada.

If those other countries refuse the renegotiation, Trump said he would withdraw from the trade pact, which would cause tariffs on imports from those countries and exports from the United States to rise.
"

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/285189-trump-says-he-will-renegotiate-or-withdraw-from-nafta-without-changes
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 06:33:20 PM »

I'm sure he'll soften his position on this in a few days or perhaps a few weeks. The "giant sucking sound" days of NAFTA are behind us, and it's definitely a net positive now, especially with the political goodwill that it buys. Mexico is a big country with a serious economy now, and killing free trade with Canada would simply be destructive. We've seen this play before - this is his opening offer, he gets a bunch of free media attention, then people will praise him in a few weeks when he says that he just wants to nibble away at the corners of NAFTA, not tear it up.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 06:48:43 PM »

I'm sure he'll soften his position on this in a few days or perhaps a few weeks. The "giant sucking sound" days of NAFTA are behind us, and it's definitely a net positive now, especially with the political goodwill that it buys. Mexico is a big country with a serious economy now, and killing free trade with Canada would simply be destructive. We've seen this play before - this is his opening offer, he gets a bunch of free media attention, then people will praise him in a few weeks when he says that he just wants to nibble away at the corners of NAFTA, not tear it up.

Are you kidding me?  Hammering this home is the single best way for him to reach/exceed Romney numbers.  I say this as someone who is personally very free trade.  The public perception of NAFTA in the US white and black working class is even worse than the perception of the EU in the British working class.  I doubt Trump will pull it off, but this is how someone more moderate than him wins a big R mandate in 2020.

Why wouldn't Trump be able to pull it off?

As for your imaginary moderate hero R 2020 candidate - such a person does not exist. That's the main reason we have Trump.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 07:02:38 PM »

Are you kidding me?  Hammering this home is the single best way for him to reach/exceed Romney numbers.  I say this as someone who is personally very free trade.  The public perception of NAFTA in the US white and black working class is even worse than the perception of the EU in the British working class.  I doubt Trump will pull it off, but this is how someone more moderate than him wins a big R mandate in 2020.

Why wouldn't Trump be able to pull it off?

As for your imaginary moderate hero R 2020 candidate - such a person does not exist. That's the main reason we have Trump.

Primarily because of Florida, Nevada, and 60% of Virginia, where he digs a deeper hole every time he talks about trade and immigration.

What about OH, PA and MI? I wouldn't be so sure on NV.

BigSkyBob

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 07:08:57 PM »

Free trade agreements such as NAFTA have two key outcomes. The first is that on average, there is some net economic benefit. The second, is that living standards tend to equalize [The latter effect has made NAFTA at net negative for America.]  That equalization of living standards between American/Canada and Mexico has a long way to go. Now, you may assert that the "giant suck sound" is over, but, I would submit that three thousand workers at Carrier Air Conditioning would strongly disagree.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 07:09:10 PM »

Nevada did vote heavily for Perot.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 07:09:53 PM »

Get US out of the UN first.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »

This won't mess up the economy at all.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 07:14:12 PM »

Wow.
trump is sounding more and more like a clown-shoe as each day passes.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 07:19:28 PM »

Wow.
trump is sounding more and more like a clown-shoe as each day passes.

Yes, but don't kid yourself about NAFTA repeal being part of the next Republican President's path.  Tariffs are how they won the Northern working class in the 19th century, and they can do it again.  It's probably a lot easier for Republican business elites to swallow tariffs than e.g. tax increases, too.

I assure you that the vast majority of either the Dems or Pubs in the both houses do not want a repeal of NAFTA.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »

NAFTA is of course terrible. Corporations get to sue governments for regulations and environmental protections they don't like. Yet consumers can't legally buy prescription drugs from Canada. NAFTA was written 100% for the powerful elites, and 0% for the little guy.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 07:46:01 PM »

NAFTA is of course terrible. Corporations get to sue governments for regulations and environmental protections they don't like. Yet consumers can't legally buy prescription drugs from Canada. NAFTA was written 100% for the powerful elites, and 0% for the little guy.
If only real life were as simple as a Bernie stump speech.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »

Reason will I will never vote Republican in a presidential election again #43512

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-idUSKCN0ZE0Z0

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I can't believe the ing Democrats are more pro-trade these days than the Republicans.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 09:08:35 PM »

Reason why I will never vote Republican again #454234

How about we just rename the GOP to the Front National?

I can't believe the ing Democrats are more pro-trade these days.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 10:18:54 PM »

This is how we could actually get full blown libertarian Dems vs. New Deal populist Reps in 20 years.

Eww

Obviously NAFTA as it was/is constructed is terrible, but it's really too late to do anything with it. Stopping the TPP should be the priority
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 10:20:43 PM »

This is how we could actually get full blown libertarian Dems vs. New Deal populist Reps in 20 years.

Eww

Obviously NAFTA as it was/is constructed is terrible, but it's really too late to do anything with it. Stopping the TPP should be the priority

It would be very easy for the US to abandon it. We are no Germany - we cannot do anything about it.  Of course, once it is abandoned everybody will realize how opposite of terrible it is - but that would be a completely different matter.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 11:12:21 PM »

uh, i'm a moderate free trader here, but this story is scary for Hillary's chances, and she better be really careful.

and by careful, I mean meaningfully and credibly address the pain of working and middle class folks struggling against a rigged economy, and not carefully suck up to john kasich's/jeb bush's voters/donors.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 11:25:38 PM »

Trump's been talking about tearing up NAFTA since the primaries. I am not quite sure why some on here think this is exactly new.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 11:29:27 PM »

and by careful, I mean meaningfully and credibly address the pain of working and middle class folks struggling against a rigged economy, and not carefully suck up to john kasich's/jeb bush's voters/donors.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good one.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 11:32:52 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good one.

We get it, you're salty because Bernie lost. You don't need to remind us with every post you make.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 11:45:05 PM »

If only real life were as simple as a Bernie stump speech.

I disagree that NAFTA is "of course terrible," as I think free trade can be very good and protectionism is often short-sighted and very bad, but I would strongly agree that in in our current system these trade agreements are written by lobbyists for lobbyists, and the results are that we get patent and regulatory situations that make zero sense from an average voter's perspective.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 10:11:12 AM »

The decline of industrial jobs started before Nafta or has just limited relation to this trade agreement. Try again, Mr. Drumpf.

Lots of these jobs are gone due to the technical development. Simple labor is either carried out by machines or sent overseas because it’s cheaper. Putting import tariffs in place won’t solve the problem, only products will become much more expensive. On the other hand, these countries will retaliate import tariffs themselves for American products. And this will destroy millions of export jobs here in America. Dude, the Trumpster has no clue what he’s talking about. 
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 10:13:26 AM »

uh, i'm a moderate free trader here, but this story is scary for Hillary's chances, and she better be really careful.

Donald Trump is going to hang NAFTA around Hillary Clinton's neck, and rightly so: it's important for middle class folks who are struggling against a rigged economy to know who's to blame for the rigging...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies