The Gays
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:56:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Gays
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: What percentage of the gay vote will Hillary get?
<65

65-69

70-74

75-79

80-84

85-90

>90

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 131

Author Topic: The Gays  (Read 2717 times)
ClimateDem
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2016, 10:35:59 PM »

Obama got 77 in 12 and 70 in 08.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 10:37:39 PM »

Probably about 80%.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 10:38:19 PM »

SSM is the law of the land, Trump is very tolerant on transgender bathroom usage, and he'll keep them safe against Islamic terror. Trump will do better than Romney.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 10:39:14 PM »

70-74, like Obama 2008. Trump is like McCain and Ford on this at worst, and this is one of the groups I doubt Hillary will improve on from Obama.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 11:00:07 PM »

Lavenous folk seem to turn to Her Majesty though.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 11:08:45 PM »

HRC will get a little more than male Democrats usually get, will obviously crush with gays as Democrats always do at the national level.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 11:11:11 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2016, 10:09:02 AM by Flo »

Right now, low 70's.  This is the one minority group Trump hasn't directly antagonized and has occasionally reached out to, so if he does everything right from here on out, ~67% is possible.

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 11:12:18 PM »

Right now, low 70's.  This is the one minority group Trump hasn't directly antagonized and has occasionally reached out to, so if he does everything right from here on out, ~67% is possible.

Trump reaching out to us is a form of antagonism.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 11:22:43 PM »

Right now, low 70's.  This is the one minority group Trump hasn't directly antagonized and has occasionally reached out to, so if he does everything right from here on out, ~67% is possible.

Yep. We don't like Trump. And we do like Clinton. If my large pool of gay friends from diverse regions across the country is a reasonably representative sample (it may or may not be, I of course acknowledge that this is a personal anecdote), gays as a group are actually more in love with Hillary than any presidential candidate I've seen in a long while. I was even a bit of a pariah amongst some of my gay friends for supporting Sanders over Clinton initially.

80-84%, and it wouldn't absolutely shock me if that's an underestimate.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 01:28:16 AM »

Gays seem to like Clinton a lot for some reason. I don't understand it, but it's a thing. They were showing a gay pride parade in Santa Ana which was much bigger this year as a show of solidarity to the victims of Orlando. The people were parading around with Clinton posters!

Why are gays so fond of Hillary? Can someone explain?

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 01:56:16 AM »

Gays seem to like Clinton a lot for some reason. I don't understand it, but it's a thing. They were showing a gay pride parade in Santa Ana which was much bigger this year as a show of solidarity to the victims of Orlando. The people were parading around with Clinton posters!

Why are gays so fond of Hillary? Can someone explain?

Gay men support Clinton for the same reason they support other female gay icons. She's a woman, so automatically she's faced more adversity than her male peers and she's overcome that, just like many in the gay community. When it comes to gay icons, it's all about 1) having a struggle that the gay community can identify with, 2) being supportive of the LGBT community and 3) looking good doing it. Hillary Clinton is honestly the ultimate political gay icon. Same for lesbians too, and Hillary being the first female nominee of a major party most likely intensifies that.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 01:59:31 AM »

When it comes to gay icons, it's all about 1) having a struggle that the gay community can identify with, 2) being supportive of the LGBT community and 3) looking good doing it. Hillary Clinton is honestly the ultimate political gay icon. Same for lesbians too, and Hillary being the first female nominee of a major party most likely intensifies that. Be a Democrat
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 02:09:27 AM »

When it comes to gay icons, it's all about 1) having a struggle that the gay community can identify with, 2) being supportive of the LGBT community and 3) looking good doing it. Hillary Clinton is honestly the ultimate political gay icon. Same for lesbians too, and Hillary being the first female nominee of a major party most likely intensifies that. Be a Democrat

Says the guy who became a Republican the night 49 gays were gunned down.  Roll Eyes
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 02:09:50 AM »

Yes, thanks for your input Satander. Next time you want to reply to a post here, I recommend opening a Word document, typing it out, and then permanently deleting it rather than giving us the displeasure of reading it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 02:35:29 AM »

I'm just ridiculing the fact that you hold up Hillary Clinton as a hero for homosexual rights when she was opposed to SSM until 2013 and her husband passed DOMA and DADT. That's like holding up George Wallace as a civil rights hero because he was opposed to segregation after 1972.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 02:51:12 AM »
« Edited: June 29, 2016, 02:54:01 AM by Holmes »

You need to work on your reading comprehension instead of just striking through my entire post and adding in your crappy snark. I never said she was a hero for LGBT rights, just that she's been supportive of the community.

And your "she was against same-sex marriage" argument is so bad. Most gay people that come out to their parents, for example, get a negative reaction, but they come around eventually. Gay people know it's an evolution, especially for older people. But even before making her position on the issue known after stepping down as SoS, she made speeches and created/helped fund programs that helped LGBT people in countries where it's difficult to live openly be safe and advocate for their rights.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 02:59:08 AM »

And screw you. You think you can put yourself on a pedastel on this issue? You literally just joined the party that caused DADT, DOMA, most of the state marriage amendments and is blocking the Equality act from passing. So... take my Word document post to heart and delete any future post instead of posting here.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 03:45:24 AM »

And screw you. You think you can put yourself on a pedastel on this issue? You literally just joined the party that caused DADT, DOMA, most of the state marriage amendments and is blocking the Equality act from passing. So... take my Word document post to heart and delete any future post instead of posting here.

LOL, DADT and DOMA was the Clintons.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 06:01:35 AM »

I don't see a reason why Clinton would do significantly better than Obama. Likely 70's.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 06:57:58 AM »
« Edited: June 29, 2016, 11:27:25 AM by pho »

Nothing Trump does will make the average gay person care that Hillary opposed marriage equality until 2013 or that DOMA and DADT became law with Bill Clinton's signature. She'll do at least as well as Obama 2012.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 08:35:36 AM »

I say around 82%.
GOP732
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 09:49:05 AM »

What do you mean by this exactly?
Mallow
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 10:11:32 AM »

What do you mean by this exactly?

He means Trump's offensive rhetoric towards other minority groups automatically disqualifies him in our eyes, and pandering to us out of one side of his mouth while denigrating whole classes of humans out of the other only makes him look worse to us.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 10:34:16 AM »

Not counting those in the closet, there will be some LGBTQs voting Trump:

1. Islamophobes
2. Those critical of Clinton's hawkishness, and who believe Trump will be isolationist
3. Those who wish to punish the Clintons for DADT and DOMA
4. All of the above, living in states that are at no risk of going to Trump, therefore their votes are punitive.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »

Not counting those in the closet, there will be some LGBTQs voting Trump:

1. Islamophobes
2. Those critical of Clinton's hawkishness, and who believe Trump will be isolationist
3. Those who wish to punish the Clintons for DADT and DOMA
4. All of the above, living in states that are at no risk of going to Trump, therefore their votes are punitive.

So, like, three people?

I think the only gay folks voting for Trump will be
1) Rich strident anti-taxers willing to vote for any Republican candidate
2) Strident pro-lifers willing to vote for any Republican candidate
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies