The Gays
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:40:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Gays
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: What percentage of the gay vote will Hillary get?
<65

65-69

70-74

75-79

80-84

85-90

>90

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 131

Author Topic: The Gays  (Read 2715 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 12:40:04 PM »

And screw you. You think you can put yourself on a pedastel on this issue? You literally just joined the party that caused DADT, DOMA, most of the state marriage amendments and is blocking the Equality act from passing. So... take my Word document post to heart and delete any future post instead of posting here.

LOL, DADT and DOMA was the Clintons.

Bill campaigned on allowing all service members to serve openly, but the Republicans.... actually, it's jfern. Why bother? Clintons bad!
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 02:00:53 PM »

And screw you. You think you can put yourself on a pedastel on this issue? You literally just joined the party that caused DADT, DOMA, most of the state marriage amendments and is blocking the Equality act from passing. So... take my Word document post to heart and delete any future post instead of posting here.

Bill campaigned on allowing all service members to serve openly, but the Republicans.... actually, it's jfern. Why bother? Clintons bad!

Trotting out DADT and DOMA to justify voting against Hillary because you're mad about Bernie "getting screwed over" is an actual thing.  As dumb as that sounds.
DS0816
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 02:03:56 PM »

If 2016 is a Democratic hold of the presidency, the 76 percent of the LGBT vote nationally carried for the re-election of Barack Obama will probably reach 80 percent. (If not, 78 or 79 percent.)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 04:18:07 PM »

I'm just ridiculing the fact that you hold up Hillary Clinton as a hero for homosexual rights when she was opposed to SSM until 2013 and her husband passed DOMA and DADT. That's like holding up George Wallace as a civil rights hero because he was opposed to segregation after 1972.
Who is you?
Hillary is no gay rights champion.  She is a floppy fish out of water when it comes to gay rights.  But she will defend them now.

Gays like strong women.  They struggle with this world full of bullsh**t and persevere.  Gays persevere.  We can relate...so we admire tenacious women. 

This might change as the world changes.
Human
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 07:09:40 PM »

78% or so
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 07:37:52 PM »

DADT was a ridiculous injustice and Bill Clinton actually bragged about signing DOMA when he ran for re-election.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »

DADT was a ridiculous injustice and Bill Clinton actually bragged about signing DOMA when he ran for re-election.

So... the status quo would have been fine?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2016, 07:41:49 PM »

So... the status quo would have been fine?

Of course not. But this discriminatory moderate heroism wasn't much better. I didn't know anyone gay when I first heard of DADT, but I knew it was utterly absurd anyways.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2016, 07:58:03 PM »

Jfern, why are you having this fight?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2016, 08:12:50 PM »

Jfern, why are you having this fight?

Because DADT and DOMA were idiotic ideas.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2016, 08:20:07 PM »

Jfern,
As quickly as things change nowadays, that was a long time ago.
DADT was a compromise, otherwise the policy would have been much worse for this community.
Was it wrong ..... yes. But that's all / mostly gone now.
Forcing blacks to sit in the back of the bus was also wrong .... but in time, that policy went away also.
I'm just saying there is no need to get too upset about this now .... things are very different, and more rights have expanded to more people (and will continue to expand over time).
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2016, 08:22:33 PM »

The far left seems to have trouble comprehending the fact that Republicans are a thing.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »

Jfern,
As quickly as things change nowadays, that was a long time ago.
DADT was a compromise, otherwise the policy would have been much worse for this community.
Was it wrong ..... yes. But that's all / mostly gone now.
Forcing blacks to sit in the back of the bus was also wrong .... but in time, that policy went away also.
I'm just saying there is no need to get too upset about this now .... things are very different, and more rights have expanded to more people (and will continue to expand over time).

There was a vote where almost half of House Democrats voted against DADT. Plus a certain Independent. But Bill Clinton put discrimination through anyways. DADT was just as obviously a bad idea in 1993 as 2016.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2016, 08:23:29 PM »

The far left seems to have trouble comprehending the fact that Republicans are a thing.

The Republicans made Bill issue that executive order?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2016, 08:27:16 PM »

How exactly was DADT better than banning gays from serving in the military at all? Perhaps DADT was well-intentioned, but it does not hold up to even casual scrutiny.

First, forcing people to deny their own identity is a psychologically oppressive policy. That's not good for the military or for the individuals. If outed, even by accident, they'd have to suffer the financial and emotional consequences of losing their military career. If you'd banned them from military service in the first place, but you would at least greatly reduce the incidences of people losing their careers over a policy as stupid as DADT. (not that banning gays from the military is a good policy, either)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2016, 08:43:17 PM »

DADT ended active witch hunts that went on beforehand. That's the "don't ask" part.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2016, 08:59:19 PM »

The LGBTQIA community, growing one letter a week at the moment.

http://tahoesafealliance.org/for-lgbqtia/what-does-lgbtqia-mean/

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2016, 09:11:30 PM »

I think you forgot a Q in there. Shame!
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2016, 09:53:04 PM »

#WereWithHer
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 09:59:55 PM »

As in you "were with her" until Trump came along?
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2016, 10:06:59 PM »

SSM is the law of the land, Trump is very tolerant on transgender bathroom usage, and he'll keep them safe against Islamic terror. Trump will do better than Romney.

All this is true, but the Democratic Party's posture is one of signing off on everything organized LGBT folks demand.  LGBT folks are now a Democratic constituency, as much as Blacks and Hispanics are.  I do agree with Santander, however, that Trump will do better than Romney on this issue.
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2016, 10:17:59 PM »

The GOP had no power in Washington in 1993 or 1994.  You can't really blame them for DADT.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2016, 10:09:19 AM »

The GOP had no power in Washington in 1993 or 1994.  You can't really blame them for DADT.

The President is Commander is Chief and is not answerable to Congress in setting military codes of conduct. It had nothing to do with party control of Congress and everything to do with the internal politics of the military and relations between the White House and the Pentagon.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2016, 12:58:21 PM »

1) I don't think you can totally condemn a mainstream Democratic politician from the 90s for being soft on gay rights.  It's pretty tough for a national-level democrat to say, support gay marriage at this time, and have any chance of getting elected, that was just the reality.

2) That said, no one should worship Hillary or Bill as an avatar of gay rights, as they shouldn't put any politician up on a pedestal

3) This is one of many instances where Bill relished triangulating - cynically moving unnecessarily far to the right for electoral advantage.  Unlike point #1, i think you can totally fault him here for maybe not fighting quite as hard during his tenure for cynical political reasons.

4) Hillary does not always equal Bill

5) HRC's endorsement of Hillary over Bernie in the primary was not surprising but was pretty cynical/shameful given his extraordinary/very unusually long history of supporting gay rights

6) Gay people would be wise to vote for Hillary, as she is much more likely to protect them, though in 10 years or so perhaps the Republican party will have come around when all of the old people die
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2016, 01:12:35 PM »

4) Hillary does not always equal Bill

This shouldn't even need to be stated, but alas, here we are. Setting aside possible positions Bill only took up for political advantage, I don't get why people think Hillary must have been totally be on board with everything he did. Of course she had to support him, being first lady, but can anyone honestly tell me that husbands and wives always align on major issues? I don't think I have ever been on the same page every time with any of my exs while we were dating. Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe Hillary wants to define herself and has her own positions / thoughts?

I think that, regardless of what went on in the 90s, it is now 20+ years later and things have changed quite substantially in many regards.

5) HRC's endorsement of Hillary over Bernie in the primary was not surprising but was pretty cynical/shameful given his extraordinary/very unusually long history of supporting gay rights

HRC?

Btw, I see you have embraced your Democratic overlords. Welcome (back?)!
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies