The Gays
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:39:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Gays
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: What percentage of the gay vote will Hillary get?
<65

65-69

70-74

75-79

80-84

85-90

>90

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 131

Author Topic: The Gays  (Read 2697 times)
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »

5) HRC's endorsement of Hillary over Bernie in the primary was not surprising but was pretty cynical/shameful given his extraordinary/very unusually long history of supporting gay rights

HRC?

Btw, I see you have embraced your Democratic overlords. Welcome (back?)!

1) Human Rights Campaign

2) I was never a democrat.  I was a conservative R as a young kid growing up in such a household and a liberal I as an adult.

I now see America as The Lion King, the Democratic party as the ecologically devastated pride lands post-Scar, and young politically minded Americans such as myself in aggregate as the Simba-and-Nalas.

Plus having a red avatar gives me credibility with the cool kids.
Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2016, 01:36:39 PM »

73%
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2016, 06:49:59 PM »

[/quote]

Gay men support Clinton for the same reason they support other female gay icons. She's a woman, so automatically she's faced more adversity than her male peers and she's overcome that, just like many in the gay community. When it comes to gay icons, it's all about 1) having a struggle that the gay community can identify with, 2) being supportive of the LGBT community and 3) looking good doing it. Hillary Clinton is honestly the ultimate political gay icon. Same for lesbians too, and Hillary being the first female nominee of a major party most likely intensifies that.
[/quote]

This is true.

If any other Dem was running, they'd get 70-75% since Trump isn't really making a big deal about LGBT issues.

However, Hillary is beloved by the gays and will receive record support.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2016, 08:08:29 PM »

No, as in "we are" with her, but, you can't put an apostrophe in a hashtag, silly Tongue
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2016, 08:39:02 PM »

Hillary has a terrible record on gay rights. She didn't support gay marriage until 2013, she was a bleeping decade behind all progressives, let alone most Democrats. Privately she is said to see gay rights issues as a "distraction". Santander is totally right to bring up her support of DOMA & DADT. I was annoyed that Obama didn't support marriage equality in 2008, but Hillary was helping to pass laws in the 90's that actively discriminated against Gay Americans. She has no record to brag about.

Trump has said he'd appoint justices like Scalia, which should be a dealbreaker for gay voters. But otherwise he's probably been the gay-friendliest GOP candidate since Gerald Ford, in the sense that he's not warning of the dangers of marriage, AIDS, or "family values under attack". I think Obama & Kerry got in the 70-80% range. I think Trump will get 65-69%, unless the election changes to a Clinton landslide.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2016, 09:59:56 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2016, 10:05:31 PM by RaphaelDLG »

Hillary has a terrible record on gay rights. She didn't support gay marriage until 2013, she was a bleeping decade behind all progressives, let alone most Democrats. Privately she is said to see gay rights issues as a "distraction". Santander is totally right to bring up her support of DOMA & DADT. I was annoyed that Obama didn't support marriage equality in 2008, but Hillary was helping to pass laws in the 90's that actively discriminated against Gay Americans. She has no record to brag about.

Trump has said he'd appoint justices like Scalia, which should be a dealbreaker for gay voters. But otherwise he's probably been the gay-friendliest GOP candidate since Gerald Ford, in the sense that he's not warning of the dangers of marriage, AIDS, or "family values under attack". I think Obama & Kerry got in the 70-80% range. I think Trump will get 65-69%, unless the election changes to a Clinton landslide.

I don't think that stuff matters.  "Demographics is destiny," as those nerds over at 538 say and the results of the primary season proved.  Hillary is a woman, she will do better than Obama and Kerry because of the feelings of identification with a strong woman overcoming gender disadvantages in a rigged straight man's world strongly felt by many (though of course not all) LGBT folks, as was said above.

If the details of the gay rights-related political record of HRC mattered gay folks would have gone for Bernie in the primary for the reasons that you said, but they mostly did not.  Bottom line is the Democratic party is blatantly the relatively more gay friendly party for the foreseeable future, Hillary is extremely popular with LGBT folks, Trump will get crushed.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »

If you think Trump is going to get the support of more than 25% of us, let alone the 65%+ numbers some are suggesting here, you've got another think coming.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2016, 11:13:28 PM »

5) HRC's endorsement of Hillary over Bernie in the primary was not surprising but was pretty cynical/shameful given his extraordinary/very unusually long history of supporting gay rights

HRC?

1) Human Rights Campaign

2) I was never a democrat.  I was a conservative R as a young kid growing up in such a household and a liberal I as an adult.

I now see America as The Lion King, the Democratic party as the ecologically devastated pride lands post-Scar, and young politically minded Americans such as myself in aggregate as the Simba-and-Nalas.

This is the most '90s metaphor ever.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2016, 11:46:39 PM »

HRC?

1) Human Rights Campaign

For better or, probably for worse, I am about as 90s as Bob Saget eating a dunkaroo using a skip it while watching Legends of the Hidden Temple, high from sniffing Mr. Sketch markers.  As evidenced by my fresh prince referencing username.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2016, 11:50:59 PM »

HRC?

1) Human Rights Campaign

For better or, probably for worse, I am about as 90s as Bob Saget eating a dunkaroo using a skip it while watching Legends of the Hidden Temple, high from sniffing Mr. Sketch markers.  As evidenced by my fresh prince referencing username.

I mean, you don't seem to like market worship in your politics. Which means you at least aren't a 90s Democrat : P.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2016, 12:31:51 AM »

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/07/01/milo-russia-today-donald-trump-pro-gay-candidate-american-electoral-history/
sg0508
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2016, 01:47:21 PM »

What really gets me is how fooled the gay population is by her because she's got a "D" next to her name.  Outside of anyone pulling the lever next to her name or filling in the bubble for her reps in the Electoral College, she has absolutely no interest in the gay population.  She's an opportunist, and the fact that I read/hear that she's turned the corner on gay rights, etc. is laughable. 
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2016, 04:03:06 PM »

What really gets me is how fooled the gay population is by her because she's got a "D" next to her name.  Outside of anyone pulling the lever next to her name or filling in the bubble for her reps in the Electoral College, she has absolutely no interest in the gay population.  She's an opportunist, and the fact that I read/hear that she's turned the corner on gay rights, etc. is laughable. 

95% of politicians were opportunists on gay rights.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2016, 04:26:35 PM »

What really gets me is how fooled the gay population is by her because she's got a "D" next to her name.  Outside of anyone pulling the lever next to her name or filling in the bubble for her reps in the Electoral College, she has absolutely no interest in the gay population.  She's an opportunist, and the fact that I read/hear that she's turned the corner on gay rights, etc. is laughable.  

At least we get support from her now. I'm not concerned with what she did before for political expediency. Sure, it sucked that Hillary and the vast majority of politicians avoided it or went against, but she is here now. As long as she continues what Obama has started in regards to LGBT rights/protections, then I'm fine with that. I don't see any help coming from Republicans. Quite the opposite, actually.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2016, 05:41:44 PM »

70-75%. Depends on how many of the Sanders/Tumblrina crowd comes home for Hillary.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2016, 07:47:17 PM »

We're not fooled. We understand that, regardless of their personal beliefs, Democratic politicians are by and large beholden to their LGBT-friendly constituencies, and we have a much better chance of achieving the social progress we desire under Democrats than under Republicans. Especially from a Supreme Court perspective.

But you keep that belittling attitude up. It speaks volumes.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2016, 09:21:09 PM »

hey, this attitude worked with Black voters, so keep it up.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies