The Gays (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:28:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Gays (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What percentage of the gay vote will Hillary get?
<65

65-69

70-74

75-79

80-84

85-90

>90

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 131

Author Topic: The Gays  (Read 2788 times)
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 28, 2016, 11:08:45 PM »

HRC will get a little more than male Democrats usually get, will obviously crush with gays as Democrats always do at the national level.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 11:59:32 AM »

Not counting those in the closet, there will be some LGBTQs voting Trump:

1. Islamophobes
2. Those critical of Clinton's hawkishness, and who believe Trump will be isolationist
3. Those who wish to punish the Clintons for DADT and DOMA
4. All of the above, living in states that are at no risk of going to Trump, therefore their votes are punitive.

So, like, three people?

I think the only gay folks voting for Trump will be
1) Rich strident anti-taxers willing to vote for any Republican candidate
2) Strident pro-lifers willing to vote for any Republican candidate
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 12:58:21 PM »

1) I don't think you can totally condemn a mainstream Democratic politician from the 90s for being soft on gay rights.  It's pretty tough for a national-level democrat to say, support gay marriage at this time, and have any chance of getting elected, that was just the reality.

2) That said, no one should worship Hillary or Bill as an avatar of gay rights, as they shouldn't put any politician up on a pedestal

3) This is one of many instances where Bill relished triangulating - cynically moving unnecessarily far to the right for electoral advantage.  Unlike point #1, i think you can totally fault him here for maybe not fighting quite as hard during his tenure for cynical political reasons.

4) Hillary does not always equal Bill

5) HRC's endorsement of Hillary over Bernie in the primary was not surprising but was pretty cynical/shameful given his extraordinary/very unusually long history of supporting gay rights

6) Gay people would be wise to vote for Hillary, as she is much more likely to protect them, though in 10 years or so perhaps the Republican party will have come around when all of the old people die
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »

5) HRC's endorsement of Hillary over Bernie in the primary was not surprising but was pretty cynical/shameful given his extraordinary/very unusually long history of supporting gay rights

HRC?

Btw, I see you have embraced your Democratic overlords. Welcome (back?)!

1) Human Rights Campaign

2) I was never a democrat.  I was a conservative R as a young kid growing up in such a household and a liberal I as an adult.

I now see America as The Lion King, the Democratic party as the ecologically devastated pride lands post-Scar, and young politically minded Americans such as myself in aggregate as the Simba-and-Nalas.

Plus having a red avatar gives me credibility with the cool kids.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 09:59:56 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2016, 10:05:31 PM by RaphaelDLG »

Hillary has a terrible record on gay rights. She didn't support gay marriage until 2013, she was a bleeping decade behind all progressives, let alone most Democrats. Privately she is said to see gay rights issues as a "distraction". Santander is totally right to bring up her support of DOMA & DADT. I was annoyed that Obama didn't support marriage equality in 2008, but Hillary was helping to pass laws in the 90's that actively discriminated against Gay Americans. She has no record to brag about.

Trump has said he'd appoint justices like Scalia, which should be a dealbreaker for gay voters. But otherwise he's probably been the gay-friendliest GOP candidate since Gerald Ford, in the sense that he's not warning of the dangers of marriage, AIDS, or "family values under attack". I think Obama & Kerry got in the 70-80% range. I think Trump will get 65-69%, unless the election changes to a Clinton landslide.

I don't think that stuff matters.  "Demographics is destiny," as those nerds over at 538 say and the results of the primary season proved.  Hillary is a woman, she will do better than Obama and Kerry because of the feelings of identification with a strong woman overcoming gender disadvantages in a rigged straight man's world strongly felt by many (though of course not all) LGBT folks, as was said above.

If the details of the gay rights-related political record of HRC mattered gay folks would have gone for Bernie in the primary for the reasons that you said, but they mostly did not.  Bottom line is the Democratic party is blatantly the relatively more gay friendly party for the foreseeable future, Hillary is extremely popular with LGBT folks, Trump will get crushed.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 11:46:39 PM »

HRC?

Btw, I see you have embraced your Democratic overlords. Welcome (back?)!

1) Human Rights Campaign

2) I was never a democrat.  I was a conservative R as a young kid growing up in such a household and a liberal I as an adult.

I now see America as The Lion King, the Democratic party as the ecologically devastated pride lands post-Scar, and young politically minded Americans such as myself in aggregate as the Simba-and-Nalas.

Plus having a red avatar gives me credibility with the cool kids.
This is the most '90s metaphor ever.

For better or, probably for worse, I am about as 90s as Bob Saget eating a dunkaroo using a skip it while watching Legends of the Hidden Temple, high from sniffing Mr. Sketch markers.  As evidenced by my fresh prince referencing username.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies