Congrats to Senator Bennett...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:22:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Congrats to Senator Bennett...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Congrats to Senator Bennett...  (Read 1951 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2016, 11:20:44 PM »

Source

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 11:27:55 PM »

I am not endorsing, but I hope Bennet wins after this.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:29:32 PM »

Republicans dug their own grave here. Bennet was never going to be easy for them to take down, but they've done just about everything wrong that they could.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 12:03:54 AM »

Republicans dug their own grave here. Bennet was never going to be easy for them to take down, but they've done just about everything wrong that they could.

Yep...

I think Bennet may be the luckiest Senator currently in office. Has any other Senator had their winnable seat handed to them twice in a row by an incompetent state party?

The COGOP makes the FL Dems look like dominant titans.
JMT

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 12:21:23 AM »

Yeah CO GOP doesn't seem to have a really deep bench, I figured it would be harder for the GOP to win this seat when Cory Gardner decided late to run in 2014 and won. Many thought he would hold off and challenge Bennet instead, but with Gardner now a Senator, Republicans lost their best recruit. And then it all went downhill from there. Any of these people running would've been an underdog to Bennet, but wow with Glenn they really blew this election. I don't see this race as even being close anymore. 
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 12:48:13 AM »

It's worse than other races Republicans have thrown away; like Delaware 2010, Nevada 2010, Indiana 2012, Missouri 2012, ect. because those races had bad candidates beating solid recruits. Glenn finished first in a pack of losers.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 12:54:12 AM »

Colorado has to have the worst run state GOP. And they literally blow this seat every time, it's not even funny. Since 1968, the GOP nominee has only won the Colorado Class III seat once, in 1998. (Campbell was elected in 1992 as a Democrat, but switched parties in 1995, and was reelected for a second term.) In 2004, the Republicans blew it by nominating Pete Coors over Bob Schaffer, who was clearly the better candidate. If they didn't make that mistake, I think right now Schaffer would be Cory Gardner's colleague, Colorado's senior Senator, and the favorite for this race (if he wanted a 3rd term). In 2010, we all know what happened to Ken Buck, who's now in the House representing CO-04. And this year, they had a chance to compete, but blew it. Ideally they would've ran Mike Coffman, who represents a Democratic-leaning district, and even won a statewide race in 2006 of all years. Since he declined, Cynthia Coffman, Scott Tipton, Doug Lamborn, John Suthers, Jane Norton, Bill Owens, and Walker Stapleton would have all been good alternatives, as they are members of the Colorado Republican bench, which certainly does exist.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 12:58:07 AM »

It's worse than other races Republicans have thrown away; like Delaware 2010, Nevada 2010, Indiana 2012, Missouri 2012, ect. because those races had bad candidates beating solid recruits. Glenn finished first in a pack of losers.
Thinking about how Delaware 2010 and Indiana 2012 were thrown away makes me sick. But what shocks me is that Republicans threw this seat away three times in a row (2004, 2010, 2016), the first two times in what were otherwise good Republican years.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 12:59:05 AM »

Plus they threw it away twice in a row. Coons was safe after 2010 no matter what, they got a strong candidate in Nevada this time...it will only be comparable if they nominate yet another terrible/unelectable candidate in IN and/or MO in 2018.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 01:43:02 AM »

anyone here see Bennett get Hart 1974/Ritter 2006 numbers?
anthonyjg
anty1691

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -7.48

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 01:48:24 AM »

anyone here see Bennett get Hart 1974/Ritter 2006 numbers?
I think he'll get close. With the combination of Glenn and Trump I could see something like a 55-45 split.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 02:35:29 AM »

Yep...

I think Bennet may be the luckiest Senator currently in office. Has any other Senator had their winnable seat handed to them twice in a row by an incompetent state party?

Harry Reid in his last two elections.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 05:53:46 AM »

I still expect the race to be decently close no matter what, but its a longshot and he's hurt as he's essentially another Ken Buck. I'm getting increasingly skeptical that money makes a big difference anymore.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 09:26:49 AM »

Bennet will win over Glenn, but it will be by 20 points or so. Glenn is too conservative probably for Colorado standards. However, some people on the far left will call him an Uncle Tom, anyway. Likely D.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 02:15:24 PM »

Bennet will win over Glenn, but it will be by 20 points or so. Glenn is too conservative probably for Colorado standards. However, some people on the far left will call him an Uncle Tom, anyway. Likely D.

... explanation needed?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 02:17:40 PM »

Well, that was devastating.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 05:24:27 PM »

I mean, I suppose if he ties himself to Trump and manages to get speaking spots alongside him, he might get dragged over the line if Trump actually wins Colorado by a reasonable amount, but that is fairly unlikely.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 05:40:47 PM »

Colorado has to have the worst run state GOP. And they literally blow this seat every time, it's not even funny. Since 1968, the GOP nominee has only won the Colorado Class III seat once, in 1998. (Campbell was elected in 1992 as a Democrat, but switched parties in 1995, and was reelected for a second term.) In 2004, the Republicans blew it by nominating Pete Coors over Bob Schaffer, who was clearly the better candidate. If they didn't make that mistake, I think right now Schaffer would be Cory Gardner's colleague, Colorado's senior Senator, and the favorite for this race (if he wanted a 3rd term). In 2010, we all know what happened to Ken Buck, who's now in the House representing CO-04. And this year, they had a chance to compete, but blew it. Ideally they would've ran Mike Coffman, who represents a Democratic-leaning district, and even won a statewide race in 2006 of all years. Since he declined, Cynthia Coffman, Scott Tipton, Doug Lamborn, John Suthers, Jane Norton, Bill Owens, and Walker Stapleton would have all been good alternatives, as they are members of the Colorado Republican bench, which certainly does exist.

Incorrect - Bob Schaffer is never the better candidate.

Coffman is the most overrated candidate ever, and a birther. He'd get buried in a general election that actually matters. Cynthia is probably not running for re-election because she got locked in scandal (so why would she try to jump to this office?), Tipton and Lamborn would both lose embarassingly because they're paper tigers like Coffman but without even a semblance of a strong electoral record, Suthers has a nice new job as Colorado Springs Mayor, Norton is an empty suit, Owens is out of politics, and idk why Stapleton didn't go for it but he probably wants to go for Governor.

The Colorado GOP bench is deep but thin at the same time. There are lots of names, but you have to continually cross them off once you run through them.

But yes, Glenn is worse than all of them, in that he is already a really bad fundraiser, way too conservative for the state, and the National GOP is giving up on him. Expect possibly 20 point loss.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 06:33:27 PM »

I mean, I suppose if he ties himself to Trump and manages to get speaking spots alongside him, he might get dragged over the line if Trump actually wins Colorado by a reasonable amount, but that is fairly unlikely.

His only chance is to link himself to Trump and hope Trump actually wins Colorado.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 07:05:46 PM »

Incorrect - Bob Schaffer is never the better candidate.

Coffman is the most overrated candidate ever, and a birther. He'd get buried in a general election that actually matters. Cynthia is probably not running for re-election because she got locked in scandal (so why would she try to jump to this office?), Tipton and Lamborn would both lose embarassingly because they're paper tigers like Coffman but without even a semblance of a strong electoral record, Suthers has a nice new job as Colorado Springs Mayor, Norton is an empty suit, Owens is out of politics, and idk why Stapleton didn't go for it but he probably wants to go for Governor.

The Colorado GOP bench is deep but thin at the same time. There are lots of names, but you have to continually cross them off once you run through them.

But yes, Glenn is worse than all of them, in that he is already a really bad fundraiser, way too conservative for the state, and the National GOP is giving up on him. Expect possibly 20 point loss.
I thought Scahffer was considered stronger. Anyway, the Republicans sure hurt themselves with the split field.
I know you hate Coffman as much as I hate Patrick Murphy (I understand) but I mean, he still won his Democratic-leaning district in 2012 when Obama won it (I think). What is this controversy regarding his wife? It sounds new to me.
Tipton and Lamborn don't seem to want to give up their safe seats, and either would probably be the underdog, but they're better than Glenn.
Owens is more of a has-been, as is Norton, and they seem to be out of politics, but again, better than Glenn.
Suthers is happy where he is now and Stapleton seems aiming for governor in two years. But I included them anyway because they're part of the large bench (which has some flawed candidates) and of course, they're better than Glenn.
Case in point, Glenn is literally THE WORST candidate the Colorado GOP could have put up. Even if some of the others are flawed, Glenn makes all of them look like unbeatable titans.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 07:54:09 PM »

I don't hate Coffman any more than I hate any other back bench, 100% party line voting Republican. Merely annoyed he gets the reputation for electable when he didn't face the best in Democratic targeting in 2012, and merely passed by in 2014 because 2014 is 2014. Coffman is probably going to lose if 2016 is anything like it is right now.

Also, I still think, from this field, Keyser is worse. Keyser is constantly nervous, always in trouble, and just embarrassing.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 08:20:35 PM »

I don't hate Coffman any more than I hate any other back bench, 100% party line voting Republican. Merely annoyed he gets the reputation for electable when he didn't face the best in Democratic targeting in 2012, and merely passed by in 2014 because 2014 is 2014. Coffman is probably going to lose if 2016 is anything like it is right now.

Also, I still think, from this field, Keyser is worse. Keyser is constantly nervous, always in trouble, and just embarrassing.
I see. (I remember a while ago you posted a link to an article about his extreme birthed views.) And yeah, despite being from a slightly Democratic-leaning district, from what I hear, he is generally described as one of the most reliable Republican votes in Congress. And I agree, Keyser is terrible. I was rooting for him until the signature controversy came along, and I saw a video of him being interviewed, and he was everything you described him as. I then switched my endorsement to Jack Graham, who likely would have still lost but kept the race more competitive. My early guess is Bennet wins 60-37 or so (the margin for the 2006 governor race), maybe even by a little more.
ClimateDem
Rookie
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 10:57:28 PM »

Yep...

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 11:00:02 PM »

McCaskill only got handed the seat once though. She had to fight hard for her win in 2006.

Plus, she was partially responsible for Akin winning the nomination. Bennet did nothing to obtain his awful opponents.
hopper
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2016, 12:47:57 AM »

I still expect the race to be decently close no matter what, but its a longshot and he's hurt as he's essentially another Ken Buck. I'm getting increasingly skeptical that money makes a big difference anymore.
Yeah but Buck only lost 1-2% percentage points to Bennet though.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies