If Any of the Discussed Senate VP Picks Becomes VP, Who Is Their Replacement?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:46:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Any of the Discussed Senate VP Picks Becomes VP, Who Is Their Replacement?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Any of the Discussed Senate VP Picks Becomes VP, Who Is Their Replacement?  (Read 958 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 29, 2016, 10:43:01 AM »

If Kaine, Warren, Booker, Corker, Sessions etc. become Vice President, then who does the Governor of their State appoint?
skoods
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 10:49:57 AM »

Speculation suggests VA Gov. Terry McAullife would nominate himself to replace Kaine.
JMT

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 11:12:21 AM »

Speculation suggests VA Gov. Terry McAullife would nominate himself to replace Kaine.

I doubt it. It's possible he appoints a placeholder for the seat and he runs in the special election (or regularly scheduled election, not sure what VA law is regarding that) himself though. This is similar to what Joe Manchin did in WV in 2010. It would look quite bad if McAuliffe appointed himself. But if Kaine is chosen and wins the vice presidency, I see this as the most likely scenario: McAuliffe appoints Attorney General Mark Herring to the Senate, which allows him to be the incumbent. Herring then runs for the Senate himself. I see McAuliffe serving his full term as Governor, and then he will get a job in the Clinton administration (probably a cabinet position) due to his closeness to the Clintons.

As for the NJ seat if Booker is selected, the replacement would likely be a Republican because Chris Christie would get to choose the replacement. He probably would just choose a placeholder, perhaps he would appoint Jeffrey Chiesa again (this was the guy Christie appointed to the Senate the last time there was a vacancy) because he already has experience in the Senate.

The replacement in MA would also likely be a Republican because the Governor, Charlie Baker, is a republican. I would not be surprised if Baker picked Richard Tisei, a former state senator and congressional candidate who was Baker's Lt. Gov running mate in the 2010 election, to fill the senate seat. Not sure if Tisei would be a placeholder, but this would give him a nice platform to be the incumbent if Tisei wanted to run for the seat himself. Tisei is also quite moderate, he's gay and I believe he is pro-choice. Very similar type of Republican to Charlie Baker, and he is already known by many MA voters.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 11:53:14 AM »

Tisei makes sense in Massachusetts. There would also be a special election in which Democratic house members don't have to risk losing a congressional seat to run for Senate, a great opportunity for Joe Kennedy III and Seth Moulton.

Josh Mandel would be the likely Senator from Ohio (as a reelected statewide officeholder with an interesting background), although it would have the effect of undoing the 2012 election.

State Senator Mark Green seems like a rising star in Tennessee, as a former flight surgeon, so I could see him getting appointed. But it could end up being anyone considered a candidate for Governor in 2018, or a placeholder so Haslam can run for it.

Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 12:25:52 PM »

My speculated replacements for the following states in the event of a Senate vacancy.

New Jersey: Probably Jeff Chiesa
Ohio: Pat Tiberi would be most likely. He's a former aide to Kasich, and holds Kasich's old House seat. He wants to run in 2018, and seems to remain good friends with Kasich, unlike Mandel, who was the only major Ohio Republican not to endorse Kasich's presidential bid.
Massachusetts: Tisei, for sure. Unless Massachusetts Democrats pass some law prohibiting Governor Baker's ability to appoint a replacement.
Minnesota: Tim Walz is most likely.
Virginia: Either Mark Herring, or, if McAuliffe wants the seat, he can appoint a placeholder.
Alabama: Not really sure, TBH.
Tennessee: One of the Republican congressmen, probably.
JMT

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 12:55:19 PM »

My speculated replacements for the following states in the event of a Senate vacancy.

Ohio: Pat Tiberi would be most likely. He's a former aide to Kasich, and holds Kasich's old House seat. He wants to run in 2018, and seems to remain good friends with Kasich, unlike Mandel, who was the only major Ohio Republican not to endorse Kasich's presidential bid.
Massachusetts: Tisei, for sure. Unless Massachusetts Democrats pass some law prohibiting Governor Baker's ability to appoint a replacement.
Virginia: Either Mark Herring, or, if McAuliffe wants the seat, he can appoint a placeholder.

Totally agree with this
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 02:45:24 PM »

Elizabeth Warren:
Richard Tisei

Tim Kaine:
Tom Perriello
Levar Stoney
Kelly Thomasson Mercer
Chap Petersen

Cory Booker:
Don LaGuardian
Tom Kean, Jr.
Christine Todd Whitman

Sherrod Brown:
Pat Tiberi
Mary Taylor
John Kasich

Al Franken(/Amy Klobuchar):
Tim Walz
Chris Coleman
Joseph Franken
Keith Ellison

Bernie Sanders:
Howard Dean
Chris Pearson
Peter Clavelle
Miro Weinberger

Bob Corker:
Bill Frist
Bryan Frist
Randy McNally
Ryan Haynes

Jeff Sessions:
Tommy Battle
Tony Petelos
Troy King
Robert Aderholt

Tim Scott:
Jenny Sanford
Andre Bauer
Paul Thurmond
Matt Moore
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 02:50:16 PM »

Is that even possible? The only thing you can do is resign and let your lt. gov. make the appointment once he assumed the governorship.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 02:52:45 PM »

Harry Reid has found a loophole where Warren sends a letter of resignation thus initiating the process of a special election but doesn't actually resign until inauguration day, so Baker gets no chance to appoint a replacement.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 03:05:11 PM »

Harry Reid has found a loophole where Warren sends a letter of resignation thus initiating the process of a special election but doesn't actually resign until inauguration day, so Baker gets no chance to appoint a replacement.

The fact that Reid has already planned that out makes me think Warren is ahead of Kaine in their VP totem pole.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 08:18:34 PM »

Highly unlikely. My guess would be that he either appoints Herring, or appoints an ally in the Legislature to the seat (maybe someone like Don McEachin).
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 11:14:29 PM »

Also this. Though I'd love to see Keith Ellison appointed to the Senate.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 01:57:02 AM »

Highly unlikely. My guess would be that he either appoints Herring, or appoints an ally in the Legislature to the seat (maybe someone like Don McEachin).

Isn't McEachin running for a seat in congress?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 07:29:23 PM »

Sabato suggested Beyer if Kaine is picked, IIRC, but I really want Periello.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 07:37:51 PM »

Do people here seriously think Bob Corker could be Trump's running mate??

Mark Green is awesome, by the way.  I have seen him speak numerous times, and he always tells the story of a stolen car on the Iraqi battlefield.  He also personally interrogated Saddam.  It probably would be a state Senator, though (Jack Johnson is another possibility) unless Black or Blackburn wanted it, or Haslam felt a need to help out DesJarlais if he loses his primary.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2016, 07:38:44 PM »

I highly doubt Baker appoints a Republican. Dude probably still wants to win re-election.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 08:18:37 PM »

I highly doubt Baker appoints a Republican. Dude probably still wants to win re-election.
I doubt it would hurt him too much. He'd appoint a Republican like him (fiscally conservative, socially liberal, inoffensive, crossover appeal, etc.) but the appointee would likely face a tough battle in the special election. Also, there are several ways this could be avoided. Plus, Democrats have veto-proof majorities in both houses of he state legislature, so a law could be passed to limit Baker's ability to appoint someone.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 08:48:55 PM »

^ Christie also appointed Chiesa and ran/won reelection later that year.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 09:00:39 PM »

The appointee would probably have to agree not to run in the special election, as has been done for the last two Senate vacancies in the state.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 09:15:02 PM »

The appointee would probably have to agree not to run in the special election, as has been done for the last two Senate vacancies in the state.

Three, if you count Ben "Just keeping the seat warm for Teddy" Smith.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »

Three, if you count Ben "Just keeping the seat warm for Teddy" Smith.
In the case of Kirk and Cowan, it was so Gov. Patrick wasn't "Playing favorites" with any member of the deep Democratic bench, I think.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies