538 Model Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:27:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  538 Model Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 49
Author Topic: 538 Model Megathread  (Read 83264 times)
twenty42
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2016, 01:14:57 PM »

Not to mention Silver had a 50.3% chance of Obama winning Florida in 2012. That's flipping a coin that it would take thousands of flips to determine is slightly weighted one way. In what sense was that a "call"?

Trump's very margin at this very moment in Florida.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2016, 02:19:51 PM »

For some reason in their polls-plus model Ohio currently sits at a 46.3-46.2 Clinton win, but they have their odds of winning at 50.1-49.9 in favor of Trump.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2016, 12:52:33 PM »

For the first time in forever, Trump has passed 40% in 538's polls-plus model.

Projected as the favorite in both Ohio and Florida. That doesn't make any sense.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #128 on: July 22, 2016, 01:08:18 PM »

Projected as the favorite in both Ohio and Florida. That doesn't make any sense.
The model doesn't make any sense this far out.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #129 on: July 22, 2016, 01:08:26 PM »

I think this model is too sensitive to trendlines for specific pollsters, namely Quinnipiac.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #130 on: July 22, 2016, 01:42:41 PM »

I think this model is too sensitive to trendlines for specific pollsters, namely Quinnipiac.

I also don't get why they don't seem to have taken into account the convention bounce they projected. If Trump wants to be on track to get a 50-50 finish, he should probably be up a point or two in the swing states right now at least.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #131 on: July 22, 2016, 02:18:38 PM »

I also don't get why they don't seem to have taken into account the convention bounce they projected. If Trump wants to be on track to get a 50-50 finish, he should probably be up a point or two in the swing states right now at least.
But there were almost no polls after convention!
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2016, 07:51:36 AM »

With some of the post-convention bounce polls in, Now Cast has Trump's chances at 57.5%. This plus a bit more as more post-convention bounce polls comes in will most likely be the Trump peak for Now Cast chances for this election.  Polls-plus which I prefer more still has Trump's chances at 41.7% which mostly fit in with how I see the race.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2016, 08:17:22 AM »

Trump now projected as the favorite in Nevada!!! They're adjusting all polling in the wrong direction!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2016, 09:00:54 AM »

Trump now projected as the favorite in Nevada!!! They're adjusting all polling in the wrong direction!

LOL. Same in NH.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2016, 09:01:54 AM »

Nate is fascist!
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2016, 11:00:26 AM »

He also has 57.5% chance of winning the presidency.

If it were held today.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2016, 11:05:02 AM »

LOL. Same in NH.
Trump +3 nationally would do that to NV, OH, FL, NH, PA, probably IA, CO, VA etc., etc. etc. It's basic math.

Obama won by around 4.5% in 2008. Trump at +3 is a 7.5% swing. Those states would end up in the Trump camp.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2016, 11:26:59 AM »

Serious question - why does the Nowcast do a trendline? That doesn't make sense to me. If Clinton leads in Nevada now (as she does per their poll model) why would the Nowcast not predict her as ahead?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2016, 11:33:42 AM »

Serious question - why does the Nowcast do a trendline? That doesn't make sense to me. If Clinton leads in Nevada now (as she does per their poll model) why would the Nowcast not predict her as ahead?

I've wondered that too. I also think he's launched his model too soon. There has been a relative drought in state polls in comparison to recent years. There's a poll from November in his model for Nevada. That shouldn't be there at this stage.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2016, 12:44:11 PM »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but the latest 5 it's showing have Trump up in 3 and Clinton up in 1. The most recent is Clinton +4, but it gets adjusted to a tie based on other factors (e.g. national polling, covariance with other states). So I guess it doesn't surprise me.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2016, 01:16:39 PM »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but the latest 5 it's showing have Trump up in 3 and Clinton up in 1. The most recent is Clinton +4, but it gets adjusted to a tie based on other factors (e.g. national polling, covariance with other states). So I guess it doesn't surprise me.

If you look at the Nevada Nowcast it has a polling average of Clinton +1.5%.

Adjustment for some of their stuff brings it to Clinton +1.2%.

THEN they adjust for "trend" which swings it by 4.5% in Trump's favour and gives it as Trump +3.4%.

I don't get what trend they're adjusting for if it's "election held today". The net swing is roughly the same as in the forecasts for November 8th.
hopper
United States

« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2016, 01:18:48 PM »

I'll just go with the "Now Cast Model" and just look at that model on a daily basis which still has Hillary winning.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2016, 01:31:50 PM »

THEN they adjust for "trend" which swings it by 4.5% in Trump's favour and gives it as Trump +3.4%.

I don't get what trend they're adjusting for if it's "election held today". The net swing is roughly the same as in the forecasts for November 8th.

Perhaps it's the fact that Trump has gained in recent national polling, and all of the polls are at least two weeks old?  Since Trump has gained nationally, you'd expect him to have gained in Nevada as well compared to the old polls.

It's amusing that the current polls-only forecast is the 269-269 tie, but there's something seriously wrong with any model that gives Trump a better than 1-in-3 chance of winning.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #144 on: July 25, 2016, 02:52:18 PM »

They are looking at how the national polls have changed since those Nevada state polls were conducted, and assuming Nevada has gone to the right at the same pace since then as the rest of the country (even though we don't have recent Nevada polls to confirm this).
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #145 on: July 25, 2016, 06:55:23 PM »

I am surprised the Nov Polls-only forecast has Trump's chances at 47%.   I would imagine the model takes into account the temporary GOP post-convention bounce.   
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #146 on: July 25, 2016, 06:55:58 PM »

I am surprised the Nov Polls-only forecast has Trump's chances at 47%.   I would imagine the model takes into account the temporary GOP post-convention bounce.   
It did
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #147 on: July 25, 2016, 07:00:02 PM »

It did

It doesn't. Only polls-plus does that.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #148 on: July 25, 2016, 07:23:57 PM »

They are looking at how the national polls have changed since those Nevada state polls were conducted, and assuming Nevada has gone to the right at the same pace since then as the rest of the country (even though we don't have recent Nevada polls to confirm this).

Yeah, now-cast doesn't mean you take all the polls as is at the time they were taken.  It means you take the polls and adjust them for any trends in national polls that have happened since they were taken, to see what they would look like if taken right now.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #149 on: July 25, 2016, 07:39:19 PM »

Yeah, now-cast doesn't mean you take all the polls as is at the time they were taken.  It means you take the polls and adjust them for any trends in national polls that have happened since they were taken, to see what they would look like if taken right now.

I thought about that but then why are the trends not a lot stronger for the November forecasts? It's cancelled out by the polls themselves being valued less?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies