538 Model Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:01:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  538 Model Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 49
Author Topic: 538 Model Megathread  (Read 83200 times)
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: September 20, 2016, 03:54:24 PM »

To me the thing that makes the least amount of sense is there have been 3 Florida polls released since yesterday with Clinton up (+1,+5,+5), yet Trump's odds in Florida keep spiking?

If you look at his poll adjustments, one of them is Adjust for trend line, which helps Trump by 2% in Florida. There could be an error which causes a feedback loop, or it could be that the new trend hasn't fully manifested yet, or the model is getting overrun by junk polls.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #451 on: September 20, 2016, 03:55:06 PM »

IIRC the NYC model doesn't factor in national polls and they aren't using these 50 state online polls.  538 model basically uses pretty much every poll there is (albeit with weighting) and those national polls are used to create momentum at the state level. So there is a level of garbage in/garbage out with 538, especially in periods where there are fewer live voter polls coming out, yet lots of data from these tracking polls and '50 state' polls.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #452 on: September 20, 2016, 03:55:45 PM »

Nate Silver is this cycle's premiere unskewer of polls so it is not surprise that his idiocy is evident to all.
bilaps
« Reply #453 on: September 20, 2016, 03:59:45 PM »

IIRC the NYC model doesn't factor in national polls and they aren't using these 50 state online polls.  538 model basically uses pretty much every poll there is (albeit with weighting) and those national polls are used to create momentum at the state level. So there is a level of garbage in/garbage out with 538, especially in periods where there are fewer live voter polls coming out, yet lots of data from these tracking polls and '50 state' polls.

Yes, his premise in a way is that states follow national numbers. So, nothing too surprising in fact that model gives far more meaning to ipsos national than fl monmouth 400 sample size.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #454 on: September 20, 2016, 04:02:19 PM »

I think the issue is that Silver's model most wants lots of live caller state polls. If every day it had Fox, Monmouth, Marquette, Marist, CNN, etc state (and national) polls feeding it, it would work best. It is essentially an engine tuned for those. But this cycle the vast majority of data being put into the model are the online polls and notably the trackers and more recently, the '50 state polls'.  If they knew what data was coming this cycle, I bet they would have built the model differently, but they have what they have. 

I suspect that after the debates there will be more live-call polls and they will increase in frequency both at the state and national level. Then perhaps you will see less of a disparity between it and the Upshot model. 

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #455 on: September 20, 2016, 04:04:29 PM »

I think the issue is that Silver's model most wants lots of live caller state polls. If every day it had Fox, Monmouth, Marquette, Marist, CNN, etc state (and national) polls feeding it, it would work best. It is essentially an engine tuned for those. But this cycle the vast majority of data being put into the model are the online polls and notably the trackers and more recently, the '50 state polls'.  If they knew what data was coming this cycle, I bet they would have built the model differently, but they have what they have. 

I suspect that after the debates there will be more live-call polls and they will increase in frequency both at the state and national level. Then perhaps you will see less of a disparity between it and the Upshot model. 

I think this is it
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #456 on: September 20, 2016, 04:26:50 PM »

If you look at every other probability-based model (NYT Upshot, Sam Wang, Daily Kos), none of them have swung as wildly as Silver's. They have mostly stayed within a 70-90% Clinton range, which makes sense because the fundamentals of the race haven't really changed that much. But a good model that doesn't swing wildly from day to day doesn't bring in the page views. Nate just wants clicks. He's not interested in accurately forecasting anything.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #457 on: September 20, 2016, 04:27:55 PM »

If you look at every other probability-based model (NYT Upshot, Sam Wang, Daily Kos), none of them have swung as wildly as Silver's. They have mostly stayed within a 70-90% Clinton range, which makes sense because the fundamentals of the race haven't really changed that much. But a good model that doesn't swing wildly from day to day doesn't bring in the page views. Nate just wants clicks. He's not interested in accurately forecasting anything.

Silver's old model looked fairly stable even as Obama was only leading by like 2-4 points.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #458 on: September 20, 2016, 04:33:14 PM »

People who think 538 is intentionally being misleading are annoying. Their methodology was largely determined long ago, they haven't changed anything substantial as far as I'm aware (though based on some recent commentary on here, maybe I missed something?). Their model is showing what their model is showing, for better or worse. Complain about their methodology all you want, but to claim intentional bias for page clicks is dumb.

As for a possible explanation for the recent Trump swing, I think this is a possible culprit: the 538 model relies pretty substantially on the "trend" line. The Ipsos poll was added in three sections, the first being the 9/13-9/17 results, and the last being the 9/15-9/19 results. The three polls are Clinton +2, Trump +1, and Trump +2, so it looks to the model like a strong short-term trend from a highly-rated pollster.
elcorazon

« Reply #459 on: September 20, 2016, 04:44:41 PM »

Agreed. Plus I disagree with notion his model has been wildly moving. The Polls Plus in particular, but Polls Only as well, were the steadiest for awhile as it was other models that had Hillary way ahead early on. It's really been that Trump is continually chipping away at Clinton's lead for so long the numbers have ultimately changed dramatically. If you're saying the race really hasn't changed despite the fact that polling has changed, you're talking about something other than a model based primarily on polling.
bilaps
« Reply #460 on: September 20, 2016, 04:56:05 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2016, 05:00:10 PM by bilaps »

Also, he just gave Nate Cohn an explanation for adjusting Siena poll to Trump +1. He basicaly says that Siena was D leaning this cycle because their NY polls were strongest for Clinton out of 10 different pollsters.

Also says that trend goes into that 2 point adjustment, because his model shows Trump still gaining.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #461 on: September 20, 2016, 05:00:38 PM »

The problem is Florida. Why is Trump still favored, and why did his odds go up today? I know, the trend, but Monmouth last polled it a month ago, so at that point, the statute of limitations for a trend should go out the window. It could've been a lot worse if Monmouth conducted the poll last week.

Also, he just gave Nate Cohn an explanation for adjusting Siena poll to Trump +1. He basicaly says that Siena was D leaning this cycle because their NY polls were strongest for Clinton out of 10 different pollsters.

Silly reasoning. Safe state polling is almost always less accurate than swing states. Are Nate & Co. really basing their 2 point D-house effect on some NY Siena polls? Isn't the methodology of the FL Upshot/Siena poll also completely different?
amdcpus
« Reply #462 on: September 20, 2016, 05:13:50 PM »

The problem is Florida. Why is Trump still favored, and why did his odds go up today? I know, the trend, but Monmouth last polled it a month ago, so at that point, the statute of limitations for a trend should go out the window. It could've been a lot worse if Monmouth conducted the poll last week.

Silly reasoning. Safe state polling is almost always less accurate than swing states. Are Nate & Co. really basing their 2 point D-house effect on some NY Siena polls? Isn't the methodology of the FL Upshot/Siena poll also completely different?

St Leo University Poll today of Florida had Clinton at +5 when a month ago they had her at +14.
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #463 on: September 20, 2016, 05:16:10 PM »

St Leo University Poll today of Florida had Clinton at +5 when a month ago they had her at +14.

Read the first paragraph of that post and try again.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #464 on: September 20, 2016, 05:20:56 PM »

Read the first paragraph of that post and try again.
That's why, it's the poll has a large Democratic bias of like 4 points so 538 put the poll at +2 I think. Which fits in with the NYT Poll
PaperKooper
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.23, S: 5.57

« Reply #465 on: September 20, 2016, 07:07:53 PM »

I just think that switching the "default" prediction to poll-only was a mistake.  He originally did that since his polls-plus model significantly underestimated Trump in the primaries.  His polls-only model seems to understate the probability of the polls shifting significantly.  Part of that may be that they are shifting more this election than the '12 and '08 elections due to the widely-disliked candidates. 
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #466 on: September 20, 2016, 07:21:41 PM »

Silver reacted way too much to the beating he got for underestimating Trump. This "every data point matters" attitude is why his model is so much more volatile. His reputation is based on getting things right, so he's covering his arse by including EVERYTHING and hoping the model will do the work.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #467 on: September 20, 2016, 07:31:06 PM »

In the polls only, Democrats have a better chance of winning the Senate than Clinton winning the Presidency, lol.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #468 on: September 20, 2016, 11:37:03 PM »

Why didn't 538 update the system to include the two new Florida polls that were released earlier today (Tue Sept 20th) ?
I can possibly understand that they are unsure to include the St Leo University poll, but why would they not include the Monmouth poll ?
(PS: Both polls are +5 Clinton.)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #469 on: September 20, 2016, 11:41:54 PM »

Why didn't 538 update the system to include the two new Florida polls that were released earlier today (Tue Sept 20th) ?
I can possibly understand that they are unsure to include the St Leo University poll, but why would they not include the Monmouth poll ?

See, you are trying to rig the polls now! Sad!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #470 on: September 20, 2016, 11:53:57 PM »

See, you are trying to rig the polls now! Sad!

You lost me.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #471 on: September 21, 2016, 05:21:00 AM »

Monmouth is on 538 as C+4
JRP1994

« Reply #472 on: September 21, 2016, 06:59:28 AM »

Another huge difference is that Silver's model assumes that the states move together and do not act totally independent of each other. If Trump gains in North Carolina, the model assumes that he also makes some gains in Virginia, unless/until there's polling evidence to contradict that. Not the case with other models.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #473 on: September 21, 2016, 07:05:23 AM »

Another huge difference is that Silver's model assumes that the states move together and do not act totally independent of each other. If Trump gains in North Carolina, the model assumes that he also makes some gains in Virginia, unless/until there's polling evidence to contradict that. Not the case with other models.

Yes, which is something that always bothered me. Like... does a bad IA poll impact MO, IL, MN?
Mallow
United States

« Reply #474 on: September 21, 2016, 07:26:09 AM »

Yes, which is something that always bothered me. Like... does a bad IA poll impact MO, IL, MN?

Really? That's one of the model's main benefits to me. Assuming the states move independently makes no sense.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 49  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies