With Trump, the GOP Is Heading Toward Oblivion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:18:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  With Trump, the GOP Is Heading Toward Oblivion
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: With Trump, the GOP Is Heading Toward Oblivion  (Read 420 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2016, 08:12:42 AM »
« edited: June 30, 2016, 08:14:29 AM by Torie »

Yes, I know, Jay Cost perhaps dislikes Trump almost as much as I do. And no, the GOP is not headed toward "oblivion," just to a very, very bad place. More accurate I think, is that the GOP deserves to go into oblivion (even if alas it will not), for doing this horrible thing to the nation, making its already far too toxic public square, even more toxic.

Anyway, enough about me, but I do need to vent from time to time. I am but human - believe it or not. Smiley
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 08:20:41 AM »

Or its just heading towards populist nationalism and away from traditional conservatism. There's plenty of support for that. This is just more concern trolling.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 08:36:28 AM »

The 99th post on Atlas skewing Trump claiming the sky is falling.  Of course most legitimate posts skewering lying, crooked Hillary! get pulled by the  mods.

Even as the polls show a trend towards Trump this week.

IT'S LATE JUNE folks. There are ebbs and flows in every cycle.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 08:41:10 AM »

The 99th post on Atlas skewing Trump claiming the sky is falling.  Of course most legitimate posts skewering lying, crooked Hillary! get pulled by the  mods.

True. We have no real idea of just how large Trump's loss in November will be.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 08:46:28 AM »

The 99th post on Atlas skewing Trump claiming the sky is falling.  Of course most legitimate posts skewering lying, crooked Hillary! get pulled by the  mods.

LOL.  You don't really believe that do you? I laughed because of the absurdity of the charge. Geez.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 11:15:31 AM »

Or its just heading towards populist nationalism and away from traditional conservatism. There's plenty of support for that. This is just more concern trolling.

For now.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 11:38:17 AM »

The GOP will reform around opposition to the Bernie agenda.

Roughly 25% of the Trumpists will become Democrats, which will take some of the populist, anti-establishment pressure off of the GOP.  Some of the current Democrats (maybe not those in national office, but on the local level, and in voting habits) will become Republicans, because they won't be comfortable with the populist, leftist direction of that party.

Paul Ryan will be the face of the party, and is the odds-on favorite for the 2020 presidential nomination, assuming he wants it, which is iffy at best.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 03:38:06 PM »

There will always be opposition to the democrats. I for one do not wish to see a one party state for national elections, and we're already trending that way.

I have to believe that the GOP will right the ship at some point. Both parties have dominated for so long that structurally I still can't see a third party spring up.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 04:01:22 PM »

There will always be opposition to the democrats. I for one do not wish to see a one party state for national elections, and we're already trending that way.

I have to believe that the GOP will right the ship at some point. Both parties have dominated for so long that structurally I still can't see a third party spring up.

There will never be a third party because there is no strategic advantage in our political system to joining one.

In a Westminster system, where a majority is necessary to form a government, a minor party can hold a lot of power.  They usually revolve around a minor issue, and demand that issue be addressed if no party has a majority.

In our system of divided government, there is no "majority government."  There's a party that controls each independent body.  Sometimes they align, but usually they don't.  You join a minor party, and more than likely, you just end up out in the cold.  So you can either line up with the majority, or you can line up with the opposition.  Binary choice.

If Democrats get really powerful, everyone who opposes them will congregate.  That will be the GOP.  Majority and opposition.  That's all there's room for.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 04:23:11 PM »

The GOP will reform around opposition to the Bernie agenda.

Roughly 25% of the Trumpists will become Democrats, which will take some of the populist, anti-establishment pressure off of the GOP.  Some of the current Democrats (maybe not those in national office, but on the local level, and in voting habits) will become Republicans, because they won't be comfortable with the populist, leftist direction of that party.

Paul Ryan will be the face of the party, and is the odds-on favorite for the 2020 presidential nomination, assuming he wants it, which is iffy at best.

Yep, I can't believe other people don't see it this way.  The Democrats are powerful nationally right now, and if the GOP keeps these shenanigans up, that power will trickle down.  When parties have more power, they try to get more passed; a powerful, electorally comfortable Democratic Party will enact more and more progressive legislation, and the GOP will eventually be able to pretty much run the campaign Romney tried to in 2012 except not be hyperbolic about it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies