Trump: Mexican planes could be attacking New Hampshire
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:25:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump: Mexican planes could be attacking New Hampshire
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Trump: Mexican planes could be attacking New Hampshire  (Read 2687 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
« edited: June 30, 2016, 09:02:34 PM by ag »

ag, We're heading to QR for two weeks starting Monday.  It'll be interesting to discuss the situation in the US, particularly The Donald, with Mexicans, and to watch the spin on the noticias on TV.  You probably get a chance to rub elbows with more important folks than I do.  I haven't been to DF in ten years, but I do visit the Mexican coastal areas about once a year and always enjoy discussions of politics with Mexicans.  Are they talking much about the US election this summer?  My guess is that Trump probably makes the ruling class in Mexico a little nervous.  

Do not overestimate how close I am to important people. I just teach their kids Smiley Still, let me try...

Not a little. There is strong revulsion. Normally, my circle is a bit special: should I say, it is on the malinchista end of the technoratic spectrum (I mean, my kind of a crowd Smiley ). But at this point, I think, Trump has achieved the impossible: there is, literally, no disagreement on how horrible he would be between the right and the left here. If anything, the revulsion in the usual americophile circles is stronger.

Another group that is positively terrified is the Anglo-Mexican community. From the banter at the HM Birthday garage sale at the Anglican church here (a rather wealthy selection of people, to put it mildly), you would have thought you are at a Manhattan Democratic Party meeting. And, of course, Americans I know here go into "do not blame me, but I am awfully sorry" mode before even being challenged.

I do not watch TV, though, so cannot really tell you much about that.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2016, 09:45:40 PM »

there is, literally, no disagreement on how horrible he would be between the right and the left here.

I'm certain of that.  A few weeks ago I was speaking to a diving supply company owner who lives in Juarez and we got into a bit of a discussion about Trump and that's what he said as well.

I'm sure that many Mexicans haven't let it affect their morbid sense of humor about politics.  That's one thing I've always appreciated, and why I do look forward to any discussion about the upcoming election should the topic arise during my stay in Mexico. 

I'm wondering also about how seriously anyone there considers his chance of election, and how that is affecting the current economic climate.  I generally try not to bother the foreigners working in Mexico about their politics back home, and I'd extend that courtesy to my fellow gringos, but I know a few US people as well--empresarios doing business as permanent or temporary residents of Mexico--and my guess is that those folks are probably as nervous about Trump's policies as much as Mexican policymakers, probably more so.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2016, 10:31:56 PM »

I'm wondering also about how seriously anyone there considers his chance of election, and how that is affecting the current economic climate. 

I was in Malaysia in December, and after I told my tour guide that I was American, he asked me about Trump.  He said that since Trump was "so far ahead" in the polls, it seemed likely that he would be president.  I explained that while he was ahead in the primary polls, there's still this general election thing that he'd have to get through, and so Hillary Clinton was the favorite.  Of course, here in Oz, even while the media reports Clinton's polling advantage, Trump does get a disproportionate share of coverage.  I'd assume that that disproportionate coverage is misleading to people who aren't following it closely, who then might conclude that he must be the favorite.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2016, 10:34:45 PM »

Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2016, 10:39:52 PM »

It seems pretty silly to criticize him for this. It's pretty obviously a joke. And while it isn't necessarily super funny (not that it's *unfunny * but you get my point) it's hardly disqualifying from the Presidency.

File this under the "Gosh isn't Trump just so awful!" school of counter-productive liberal handwringing.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2016, 11:10:42 PM »

Everyone I've asked here has had a negative reaction to this, but they're brown and are already lost to Trump.

It's unsurprising that the only demographics TrumpMiller appeals to are orange and pasty.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 02:28:08 PM »

Orange is, after all, the new black.

Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2016, 02:35:51 PM »

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2016, 06:21:39 PM »

His comment might have had some resonance if he'd been speaking in St. Albans, Vermont.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »

Why New Hampshire?

I should they would rather take New Mexico and Texas first before spreading north.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2016, 12:44:29 AM »

That one can't seem to figure out whether he's Swiss or Mexican.  I say let him go.

The Mexicans bought that plane from the Swiss and the opc was probably taken while it was still over there since it has a Swiss airplane registry code.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2016, 01:22:59 AM »

Why New Hampshire?

I should they would rather take New Mexico and Texas first before spreading north.

I was thinking the same thing.

Perhaps the Mexicans are attacking those angry misandrist female voters of whom TNVolunteer speaks so frequently.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2016, 04:49:49 AM »

Media now attacking TRUMP for his joke as racist etc. Disgusting!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2016, 07:03:16 AM »

What, do you guys think this guy is running to be a TV show host? Good grief, you have no respect for the Presidency of the United States.

Trump has a great sense of humor. We don't need a robot in the White House.

It takes more than a sense of humor to run a country. It especially takes someone to know what they are doing....someone with THICK SKIN....something Trump doesn't have.

The idea that Trump is thin skinned is the most ludicrous thing I've heard.  Trump's taken as much as he's given out, and some of it was given out before he delivered the insults.  Some of it was the result of the elite political class getting bent out of shape because he had the nerve to run for President.

If Trump were thin skinned, he'd have been driven out of the race a long time ago.   
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2016, 06:09:41 PM »

The idea that Trump is thin skinned is the most ludicrous thing I've heard. 

Strikes me as a queer observation as well.  I've long since concluded that he has a very thick skin.  In fact, I think that's part of his problem.  He dishes it out because he can take it, and he expects everyone else to have a pachyderm skin like he does.  Not a good fit for today's metro man.

catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2016, 10:03:57 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hey, I don't vote for people with annoying laughs either! Especially shrill old ladies; Trump and Sanders have manly laughs!

-_-
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies