Hillary will be a good President if her past is any indication....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:20:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary will be a good President if her past is any indication....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillary will be a good President if her past is any indication....  (Read 608 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 04, 2016, 03:09:45 PM »

http://www.taxpayer.net/media-center/article/as-a-senator-hillary-clinton-got-along-with-the-gop.-could-she-do-so-as-pre

This article is a great read about how things were when Hillary was in the Senate. She worked to create friendships and good working relationships and had favorable ratings from both sides of the aisle. I believe that the qualities that she has already shown when she was in the Senate are the exact same qualities she would bring to the presidency....there is no reason to believe otherwise. In fact, Clinton won confirmation as Secretary of State by a vote of 94-2, which is quite telling of her popularity then.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 03:36:53 PM »

But I thought she was an unlikable sketchy bitch and nobody likes her and she has no friends and ewwww go back to Arkansas already, bitch!

- The high school sexist media
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 03:48:15 PM »

Either one of two things will happen when she's elected: obstructionism grows dramatically or the GOP actually will work with her because of previous goodwill. I hope for the latter.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 03:54:03 PM »

I don't think her Senate relationships are the issue - It's that she will now most likely be POTUS, and a roadblock to Ryan and McConnell's conservative agenda. I don't think they truly hated Obama either, but they attempted to discredit and destroy his legacy via obstruction just for partisan reasons.

My hope is that the GOP realizes that after 3 presidential election losses in a row, and losing the popular vote in the last 6/7 elections, that they will be more reasonable, but if not, I don't really expect them to be warmer to her. After all, this is the woman they just spent years tar and feathering over bs faux scandals. On the right, she is arguably hated as much as, if not more than Obama.

Anyway, we'll see
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 03:57:36 PM »

Clinton and the GOP establishment will work well together to achieve establishment goals. If you like the way America works now, yeah Clinton will be a good President. I beg to differ.

Note, this isn't a "Green TEA Party" sentiment. I really appreciate GOOD bipartisanship, like Chris Murphy working with outsider Republicans to curb Saudi influence in foreign policy, and Rand Paul's attempt with the CBC to effect meaningful sentencing reform. But Clinton will provide the worst kind of bipartisanship: agreements between the centrist power blocs to the detriment of the rest of America.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 04:01:33 PM »

But I thought she was an unlikable sketchy bitch and nobody likes her and she has no friends and ewwww go back to Arkansas already, bitch!

- The high school sexist media

LOL!
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 04:13:29 PM »

I don't think her Senate relationships are the issue - It's that she will now most likely be POTUS, and a roadblock to Ryan and McConnell's conservative agenda. I don't think they truly hated Obama either, but they attempted to discredit and destroy his legacy via obstruction just for partisan reasons.

My hope is that the GOP realizes that after 3 presidential election losses in a row, and losing the popular vote in the last 6/7 elections, that they will be more reasonable, but if not, I don't really expect them to be warmer to her. After all, this is the woman they just spent years tar and feathering over bs faux scandals. On the right, she is arguably hated as much as, if not more than Obama.

Anyway, we'll see

My opinion is that the GOP had a problem with Obama from the beginning because he was black, more that than for partisan reasons. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Well, Hillary doesn't have that "problem". And I was mainly referring to the qualities that she already possesses and has used while in the Senate to reach across the aisle. She will bring the same qualities to the process as before. As the article stated, she lets things roll off her back, so the fact that the GOP has been "tar and feathering" her isn't going to change her approach. She's also been vilifying them as well in her campaign speeches.

I do expect Congress to work with her because she is not Obama, for one thing, and she has the personality to see to it that things get accomplished. If she needs to compromise, she certainly knows how to do that.

But yes, we'll see.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 04:13:55 PM »

But Clinton will provide the worst kind of bipartisanship: agreements between the centrist power blocs to the detriment of the rest of America.

Based on what? Her Senate voting record was pretty liberal. Maybe she doesn't support full blown Sanders priorities but I don't get where you're drawing these conclusions from. Are you basing this on Bill Clinton's presidency?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 04:41:52 PM »

Either one of two things will happen when she's elected: obstructionism grows dramatically or the GOP actually will work with her because of previous goodwill. I hope for the latter.

"Previous goodwill". As one of the minority here who actively remembers politics in the 90's, the GOP at large have despised Hillary for a quarter century now. The fact she reached out to a few reasonable (and some now retired) congresscriters doesn't indicate anything more than absolute obstructionism.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 05:01:56 PM »

But Clinton will provide the worst kind of bipartisanship: agreements between the centrist power blocs to the detriment of the rest of America.

Based on what? Her Senate voting record was pretty liberal. Maybe she doesn't support full blown Sanders priorities but I don't get where you're drawing these conclusions from. Are you basing this on Bill Clinton's presidency?

Actually, basing it on the "good working relationships" she has with the GOP Establishment.

Clinton does have a liberal voting record. It's mostly derived from social wedge issues I could care less about. She has a mixed record on free trade (most of the lefty mixing coming from when she was prepping to run for Pres in '06 and '07), but she has a centrist establishment voting record and State Dept record on crime, taxation, corporate influence in govt, wall st and consumer protection regulation, and foreign policy. On all of these things there's a centrist bipartisan consensus on these issues I decidedly *don't * agree with.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 05:59:01 PM »

Her past is indication that Hillary will be a terrible president, one of the worst ever.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 02:48:13 AM »

Her past is indication that Hillary will be a terrible president, one of the worst ever.

You forget that no President operates as an island. There is Congress to deal with and many many wise people to listen to for advice. Many people make decisions in an administration. Hillary is just one voice, but her voice is one that has a tendency to get along well with others, a self-admitted policy wonk who puts her nose to the grindstone and gets things done. She learns from her mistakes and continues to move forward. She has a level head on her shoulders, unlike Trump who is mentally unstable. Sure he's entertaining, but that's not what I'm looking for in a President.

It's easy to buy into all the negative hype about Hillary, but that's the easy way out. Do a little research from credible sources and you will find there is a lot to like about her. But I realize that most people have made up their mind about her and that's that.

But like it or not, she is likely to be our next President, so brace yourself to get pleasantly surprised at how well she does the job. Wink
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 03:34:28 AM »

It's easy to buy into all the negative hype about Hillary, but that's the easy way out. Do a little research from credible sources and you will find there is a lot to like about her. But I realize that most people have made up their mind about her and that's that.

Actually, the more people read about her, the more reasons they find to hate her.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 05:37:57 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2016, 05:40:39 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

No no no no no no. I hope for obstruction. The last thing we need is a Republican Congress working with a President Clinton again to enact tons of right-wing legislation.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 06:47:14 AM »

No no no no no no. I hope for obstruction. The last thing we need is a Republican Congress working with a President Clinton again to enact tons of right-wing legislation.

Roll Eyes
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 06:53:00 AM »

Roll Eyes

Go read about welfare reform, telecommunications deregulation, repeal of Glass Steagall, and NAFTA and get back to me. Oh right, NAFTA was passed before the Republican Congress.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 11:33:29 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2016, 11:35:01 AM by Virginia »

Go read about welfare reform, telecommunications deregulation, repeal of Glass Steagall, and NAFTA and get back to me. Oh right, NAFTA was passed before the Republican Congress.

Give me a break. This was 20 years ago in a different time. As much as you'd love for it to be true so that it may validate your insanely biased and ridiculous opinions, Hillary is not going to be a copy of Bill's presidency. They aren't the same people and she has no reason to govern like her husband over 20 years ago. You just don't like her, so you are siding with just about every negative expectation / prediction of Hillary that is floating around in your head and the far-left comment sections of the internet, which coincidentally seem to be indistinguishable from one another.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 11:45:39 AM »

Actually, the more people read about her, the more reasons they find to hate her.

I doubt it. There is plenty of information out there on Hillary's work that is very commendable. People see what they want to see about her and that's the level they are stuck on.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 04:08:25 PM »

Roll Eyes

You know a wife can have different opinions than her husband, right? You also know it's a different political reality than the 90s, right? Difficult concepts, I know.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 04:10:51 PM »

Roll Eyes

Free trade oh noes!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies