What would a "bad" Clinton presidency look like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:55:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What would a "bad" Clinton presidency look like?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What would a "bad" Clinton presidency look like?  (Read 1514 times)
tonyreyes89
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2016, 02:59:58 PM »

Other than the usual partisan gridlock and political polarization of this country, what would a bad Clinton presidency look like? (I'm in the camp that both Trump and Hillary will be one term presidents)

Feel free to enlighten me with your thoughts. 
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 04:13:03 PM »

Sorry but I firmly believe she will be a very good President. She is a workaholic and puts her nose to the grindstone in all her jobs to get the job done. I can't see that being a negative thing.

If anything bad happens, it would be more to the tune of Obama's Presidency where Congress is another do-nothing Congress that won't work with her. Hopefully the American people are so fed up that that won't happen ever again!

Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 04:19:38 PM »

Sorry but I firmly believe she will be a very good President. She is a workaholic and puts her nose to the grindstone in all her jobs to get the job done. I can't see that being a negative thing.

If anything bad happens, it would be more to the tune of Obama's Presidency where Congress is another do-nothing Congress that won't work with her. Hopefully the American people are so fed up that that won't happen ever again!

That's not an answer to the thread question.

A bad Clinton presidency is an Obama presidency with 100x more gridlock.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 04:27:22 PM »

I think the worst thing facing a Hillary presidency, or even a Trump presidency for that matter, is a recession.  The buzz I've heard from some economists is that we're "due" for another recession some time next year, but no one knows the extent of it or what impact the Brexit will have.*

*I'd like to believe that any hits the economy takes from the Brexit will be contained to the UK and the rest of Europe, but in a global economy, anything is possible...
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 04:32:48 PM »

Obama Presidency + more gridlock + recession + further terror attacks in the US and West + more Clinton scandals is what I see happening in a "bad" Clinton Presidency. Apologies if that's hackish and I don't notice
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 04:33:33 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2016, 04:39:59 PM by Virginia »

Unfortunately, due to endless successful Republican smear campaigns and many of her (and Bill's) own bumbling mistakes, her image is such that now everything she does will be blown out of proportion and will hurt her approval ratings worse than if she were, say, Obama. A majority of people simply don't trust her, and they likely won't give her the benefit of the doubt. If she wins, Republicans are going to go after her savagely for the next 4 years.

With that in mind, it's hard right now to see her being a 2 term president. Though, I'll reserve my final opinion on that until after I experience a couple years of her presidency.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 04:46:05 PM »

The right-wing agenda of her husband's with more hawkishness and a recession.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 04:48:16 PM »

Major terrorist attack, going into an unpopular war, a major natural disaster, and top it all off with a recession.

You know, the Bush presidency.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 05:30:08 PM »

Kowtowing to all of the special interests that she allegedly serves.  She passes TPP, she passes KXL, she vetoes a repeal of GLBA, she refuses a $15 minimum wage, because "reasons," she collaborates with Congressional Republicans.  She pursues regime change on the ground in the Middle East or Central Asia and it goes horribly wrong.  ISIS grows more powerful, gains territory in Saudi Arabia.  Oil supply shock, which leads to more domestic development, which leads to at least one major petroleum-related environmental disaster in the USA.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 06:06:19 PM »

Unfortunately, due to endless successful Republican smear campaigns and many of her (and Bill's) own bumbling mistakes, her image is such that now everything she does will be blown out of proportion and will hurt her approval ratings worse than if she were, say, Obama. A majority of people simply don't trust her, and they likely won't give her the benefit of the doubt. If she wins, Republicans are going to go after her savagely for the next 4 years.

With that in mind, it's hard right now to see her being a 2 term president. Though, I'll reserve my final opinion on that until after I experience a couple years of her presidency.

The faux scandals stick to her and not Obama because the media loves Obama and hates her, partially because they are mostly made up of sexist old men.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 03:17:00 AM »
« Edited: July 02, 2016, 04:59:04 AM by Ogre Mage »

Clinton's biggest political weaknesses include her penchant for secrecy and difficulty adjusting when changing circumstances snarl her carefully crafted plans.  These were contributing factors to the failure of Hillarycare in 1994.  If unforseen circumstances cause her to lapse into the bunker mentality and hatching secret schemes it bodes ill for her presidency.

As a Clinton supporter I feel compelled to offer the counter argument.  No one has deeper experience with the federal bureaucracy.  She has a relentless drive get something accomplished.  If there is a way to wring progressive gains out of the system she will find it, even in this era of extreme polarization.  Unlike Obama she will be a consistently tough negotiator with Republicans.  Her presidency will not be undone by a lack of resolve.

Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 03:26:19 AM »

All we have to do is wait and find out Wink
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 04:48:30 AM »

Scandals, corruption, interventions that further destabilize the middle east, uncontrolled illegal immigration, a further decline of the middle class, bad trade deals and level of unrepresented political correctness. 

Recession would be always bad not necessary the president's fault. However, TRUMP would be better in managing a recession.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 07:30:52 AM »

The right-wing agenda of her husband's with more hawkishness and a recession.

Let me guess, everybody to the right of you is an extremist conservative fascist?
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 04:00:44 AM »

A "bad" Clinton presidency is Hillary Clinton being elected president, which is to say someone becoming president who believes herself to be above the law.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 04:46:26 AM »

ISIS are virtually finished- they're not spreading to Saudi Arabia
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 06:29:59 AM »

I think the worst thing facing a Hillary presidency, or even a Trump presidency for that matter, is a recession.  The buzz I've heard from some economists is that we're "due" for another recession some time next year, but no one knows the extent of it or what impact the Brexit will have.*

*I'd like to believe that any hits the economy takes from the Brexit will be contained to the UK and the rest of Europe, but in a global economy, anything is possible...
We are and we're not. This is one of the longest post war expansions in history and there should be a recession coming up based on probability. But then, you look at a country like Australia and they haven't had a recession in 24 years. Nothing's certain.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 02:32:18 PM »

I recall that when Hillary was in the Senate, she had good working relations with both sides. So I researched and found this article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It doesn't seem like any stretch of the imagination that Hillary would bring those same qualities to the Presidency when working with Congress.

Here's another angle that I don't think most people are thinking about: Hillary is a female. Her Presidency would be historic on many levels. She would be defining a new role for the President, and as such, I believe people will approach her differently than they have approached all the male Presidents of the past.

Does anyone here treat men exactly the same as they treat females? No. People approach females differently and I think that will give Hillary the edge. You can't judge her by any one else's standards, and I don't think we can automatically assume that she won't get bipartisan cooperation in Congress. Her actions in the past tell a different story.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 02:35:14 PM »

And to the thread starter, sorry again but I don't like focusing on Hillary's negatives. The media does that just fine.

I think it's important to bring to light the things that Hillary does well.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 03:10:38 PM »

Getting us into a worthless war.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 04:43:44 PM »

Any Clinton presidency would be a bad one.  She would appoint SCOTUS Justices who will work to undermine morality, freedom, and values for the next 50 years.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 04:46:43 PM »

We are and we're not. This is one of the longest post war expansions in history and there should be a recession coming up based on probability. But then, you look at a country like Australia and they haven't had a recession in 24 years. Nothing's certain.

This. The only times there isn't "buzz" from some economists about a recession on the horizon is when we're already in one.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 05:09:19 PM »

Zero action in Congress, troops in Syria/Iran/Other, scandals upon scandals, more trade deals exporting jobs (TPP passage), some sort of major environmental crisis. Then overwhelming GOP majorities in Congress due to 2018 midterms, then Ted Cruz wins in a Reagan-landslide in 2020.
Shameless Lefty Hack
Chickenhawk

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 05:25:15 PM »

A series of poorly thought-out humanitarian interventions in Latin America, the Middle East, and MAYBE (very weak maybe) SE or Central Asia.

Partisan division on hot button social issues (maybe an attempt to repeal the federal RFRA if she thinks she has the votes, even though the issue is LGBT folks' 14th Amendment protected class status rather than RFRAs themselves) centrist consensus on foreign policy, trade, and crime.

Dems get shellacked on the local level again in 2018, further binding Dems into the urban and well educated coastal coalition. Worst case scenario, the losses are so bad that it makes a recovery of majorities in a lot of state legislatures unlikely in the 2020 redistricting elections. This, of course, makes a GOP congress likely for the 2020s just like the 2010s.

On the SCOTUS front, look for centrist statists. A series of defeats for individual liberties and privacy on a wide variety of matters.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2016, 06:00:29 PM »

Any Clinton presidency would be a bad one.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies