pre-Democratic convention discussion LATEST: Sanders supporters protesting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:43:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  pre-Democratic convention discussion LATEST: Sanders supporters protesting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: pre-Democratic convention discussion LATEST: Sanders supporters protesting  (Read 12189 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2016, 09:22:13 AM »
« edited: July 24, 2016, 10:13:01 PM by Mr. Morden »

Post any miscellaneous news about the Democratic convention in this thread.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 12:29:55 PM »

Bernie or Bust is going to be protesting outside the Convention Hall.

will it be a repeat of LA in 2000 or not amount to much?
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 12:30:06 PM »

So Trump is announcing his speakers this week, are we going to get the democrat's lineup?  Any guesses who the keynote will be?  I'm tempted to say Warren if she doesn't get the VP spot, maybe Bel Edwards or Harris (though I don't get the hype...)?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 01:55:35 PM »

Couldn't Bel Edwards as the keynote spark a revolt among Sanders supporters? He's pretty moderate.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 02:15:18 PM »

Couldn't Bel Edwards as the keynote spark a revolt among Sanders supporters? He's pretty moderate.

As if they're not already going to be standing outside the convention hall begging for attention?  They've already shown that no matter what olive branch she gives them, they're not going to cooperate, so she should do what's best for her and best for the party.  If that means putting Bel Edwards on keynote to try to help rebuild the southern democratic party, go for it.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 02:16:51 PM »

I'll be at the convention; I'll post what I can about what I see on the DNC discussion thread.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 02:19:41 PM »

Not just Sanders supporters, but Clinton supporters as well. Also I can't imagine he's going to want to have DNC imagery wrapped around his neck when he runs again in 2019.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 02:41:45 PM »

Clinton will want a woman to be the keynote speaker. An up and comer, preferably a minority, who's up for election this year. I'm thinking Kamala Harris.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 02:46:48 PM »

The chance of Kamala Harris delivering the keynote is literally nil. Loretta Sanchez has been a good soldier for years and the DNC is not going to throw her under the bus by so blatantly taking sides. Gavin Newsom is more likely.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 02:49:53 PM »

The state Democratic party endorsed Harris over Sanchez, despite her being such a loyal soldier. No one likes her.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 02:52:23 PM »

I've actually worked as a staffer for a Congressional Democrat... The DNC is not going to give the keynote to a Democrat in a Senate race the party will win no matter what. There is nothing to gain and only people to antagonize.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 03:09:29 PM »

The nominating speech is going to be given by a supporter that wins a video submission contest.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 07:22:09 PM »

It's too bad Rep. Alan Grayson (D-FL) is in a Senate primary; he'd throw the crowd all the liberal "red meat" imaginable.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 08:04:42 PM »

I've actually worked as a staffer for a Congressional Democrat... The DNC is not going to give the keynote to a Democrat in a Senate race the party will win no matter what. There is nothing to gain and only people to antagonize.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 08:08:16 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2016, 08:22:44 PM by Santander »

Obama wasn't in a general election against a Democrat, which is what I meant.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 11:29:08 PM »

I'll be at the convention; I'll post what I can about what I see on the DNC discussion thread.

I will too, I'll get to vote for Bernie as the nominee Cry
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 07:28:35 AM »

Larry Sabato made the astute (at least to me) observation that a guy like Sanders, who has won as many primaries as he has, and has accumulated over 40% of the convention delegates, has the ability to demand quite a bit at the convention. 

So far, it's not going well.  Sanders called for the ouster of CT Gov. Dan Malloy and ex-Rep Barney Frank as convention co-chairs, and was pretty soundly rejected.  That's a pretty limited demand, and if he can't get two co-chairs (out of twenty-something) removed, is he really going to force out Debbie Wasserman Schultz as DNC Chair? 

I am predicting that Sanders gets zilch gravitas at the Democratic National Convention.  I don't see the concessions to Bernie, or to his supporters, coming at all.  Hillary is thinking that she'll beat Trump in a Bush 41 type landslide, and she's incapable of being magnanimous.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2016, 01:20:41 PM »

Larry Sabato made the astute (at least to me) observation that a guy like Sanders, who has won as many primaries as he has, and has accumulated over 40% of the convention delegates, has the ability to demand quite a bit at the convention. 

So far, it's not going well.  Sanders called for the ouster of CT Gov. Dan Malloy and ex-Rep Barney Frank as convention co-chairs, and was pretty soundly rejected.  That's a pretty limited demand, and if he can't get two co-chairs (out of twenty-something) removed, is he really going to force out Debbie Wasserman Schultz as DNC Chair? 

I am predicting that Sanders gets zilch gravitas at the Democratic National Convention.  I don't see the concessions to Bernie, or to his supporters, coming at all.  Hillary is thinking that she'll beat Trump in a Bush 41 type landslide, and she's incapable of being magnanimous.
Bernie's demands have been a little odd, especially since he has yet to concede nor has he endorsed Clinton. By now, Clinton had done both.

Sanders has essentially blown his leverage by not meeting Clinton halfway. He could've really shaken up the DNC, yet he picked the wrong fights on trying to oust Frank of all people.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 01:54:51 PM »

Sanders wants Tim Canova to beat DWS in the primary, which would likely send her into resignation from the DNC out of embarrassment.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »

Sanders wants Tim Canova to beat DWS in the primary, which would likely send her into resignation from the DNC out of embarrassment.

I think this is something we can all agree with Sanders on. Sadly, it seems unrealistic.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »

I think this is something we can all agree with Sanders on. Sadly, it seems unrealistic.

Eric Cantor might not find it unrealistic, lol.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 01:16:30 PM »

I don't know if a house primary has gotten this much attention beforehand since redistricting. I say he has an outside chance.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 06:34:14 PM »

I don't know if a house primary has gotten this much attention beforehand since redistricting. I say he has an outside chance.

The district is too old, wealthy and Jewish to oust her. Expect DWS to win by at least 2:1, especially after Sanders turned it into a Clinton-Sanders proxy war; check out the CD results from the presidential primary to see how bright of an idea that was. Even if Canova had 10x the money that she did, it's not going to matter in the end.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 06:35:06 PM »

DWS has already lost effective control of the DNC and will be gone in ~6 months anyway, so it's irrelevant really.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2016, 06:36:41 PM »

I think keynote will be Tammy Duckworth or Cortez Masto.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies