Flash poll: If Hillary goes down, who gets the nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 11:00:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Flash poll: If Hillary goes down, who gets the nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: If she goes down before the convention
Bernie Sanders

Joe Biden

Hillary's VP pick

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 89

Author Topic: Flash poll: If Hillary goes down, who gets the nomination?  (Read 1576 times)
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2016, 10:33:28 AM »

So if the Daily Caller is right and she's interviewing with the FBI today, and they move fast and recommend charges next week, and then a trial is quickly put together and finds her guilty of a felony, all before the convention, who wins in her place?

Note that I think this is extraordinarily unlikely; if Hillary is going to be indicted then it will undoubtedly take at least until September or October, if not after the election, in which case the nod would presumably go to her VP pick by default.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 10:37:39 AM »

Joe, although Bernard actually should.

Just to be clear, I would prefer Joe to Bernard, but he didn't get a single primary vote.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 01:16:37 PM »

Just to be clear, I would prefer Joe to Bernard, but he didn't get a single primary vote.

Agreed.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 01:23:34 PM »

Hopefully Joe, because I despise Bernie Sanders FAR MORE than Hillary Clinton these days.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 01:28:07 PM »

If she announces her vice presidential pick beforehand, I expect they would.

Otherwise:

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 01:28:10 PM »

Sanders.
But I wish it would go to Biden.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 01:30:29 PM »

Either Sanders, who already has the organization and support in the field, or Biden, who's well liked enough to take the reins of Hillary's campaign.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 02:26:39 PM »

I don't think Uncle Biden would make a good President. He's evidently a good VP and that's that.

If Hillary won and was unable to continue as President, then of course her VP would take over.

She is not going to be indicted and go to trial and have a verdict in the span of 4 months, so the thread question is pretty moot, IMO.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2016, 02:28:36 PM »

since you specified before the convention, it'd be sanders for sure (although he'd be forced to pick a very moderate/establishmenty vp).
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2016, 02:32:16 PM »

Agree with this.

She is not going to be indicted and go to trial and have a verdict in the span of 4 months, so the thread question is pretty moot, IMO.
The Feds have a 98% conviction rate. An indictment is as good as a conviction as far as politics and public optics are concerned. The party would not let her take them down with her, even if she is a Clinton.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2016, 02:36:04 PM »

Lincoln Chafee.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 03:26:38 PM »

Bernie would only need around 17% of Hillary's delegates, so probably him.

Biden would be the smarter pick though.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 03:31:17 PM »

Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2016, 04:34:36 PM »

A motion to place him on a ballot for a nominating vote will reach him, and he'll reject it because he didn't understand what he was voting for.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2016, 04:42:27 PM »

Sanders would get the nomination, obviously. Giving it to someone who didn't receive a single vote would hand the presidency to Trump on a silver platter, particularly since Sanders could simply threaten to run as an independent as revenge for such a ridiculous insult to democracy. And quite frankly, he'd be justified.

Anyway, these wet dream threads are getting old. How many do we need?
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2016, 04:51:23 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 04:59:31 PM »

Biden seems pretty resolved to retire.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 11:45:09 PM »

None of those.   A indicted Hillary could still beat Trump in a GE. 

Obama could always just pardon her to get around laws and qualifications to run for office.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 11:54:00 PM »

I dream of a bright, beautiful day where American children and grandchildren will count in freedom-lovin' kilograms instead of the tyrannical inches.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 05:04:50 AM »

Sanders would get the nomination, obviously. Giving it to someone who didn't receive a single vote would hand the presidency to Trump on a silver platter, particularly since Sanders could simply threaten to run as an independent as revenge for such a ridiculous insult to democracy. And quite frankly, he'd be justified.

I have to commend you for this excellent response.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 07:33:58 AM »

Agree with this.

The Feds have a 98% conviction rate. An indictment is as good as a conviction as far as politics and public optics are concerned. The party would not let her take them down with her, even if she is a Clinton.

It would be devastating for the Democratic Party if Hillary were merely indicted.  She'd be removed as the nominee, by hook or by crook, and if it were before the convention, I believe Sanders would be the nominee.  In truth, I view Sanders as being no less acceptable to the Democratic Establishment than I do Trump being acceptable to the GOP Establishment, but there have been so many polls putting Sanders ahead of Trump at a greater level than Clinton, so it's hard for me to see the "electability" issue allowing the Democrats to airlift a new candidate into the mix.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 06:41:45 PM »

Agree with this.

It would be devastating for the Democratic Party if Hillary were merely indicted.  She'd be removed as the nominee, by hook or by crook, and if it were before the convention, I believe Sanders would be the nominee.  In truth, I view Sanders as being no less acceptable to the Democratic Establishment than I do Trump being acceptable to the GOP Establishment, but there have been so many polls putting Sanders ahead of Trump at a greater level than Clinton, so it's hard for me to see the "electability" issue allowing the Democrats to airlift a new candidate into the mix.

So wouldn't that be icing on the cake? Both parties having to endure the non-establishment candidate that their bases have selected. In a strange way, that would be a perfect conclusion to the nomination process, right?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 09:12:33 AM »

Uncle Joe. And he would beat Drumpf on November 8.
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 10:26:18 AM »

Wouldn't giving Joe the nomination despite him receiving no votes during the Democratic primary season hand the election to Trump? Unless he put Sanders on the ticket with him, it's just come off as desperate of the Democrats to keep the status quo.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2016, 10:44:57 AM »

It probably depends on when the pigs actually fly and a Democrat administration actually follows the rule of law and indicts Hillary!, who by all metrics deserves to be indicted.

But IF Hillary! is indicted pre-convention, the likely nominee will be Bernie Sanders. IF Hillary! is indicted post-convention, my guess is that it would be the VP pick.

However, let's be serious here, the Democrats will protect Hillary! and an indictment will not happen.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies