Is the destruction and annihilation of culture in the US inevitable?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:20:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is the destruction and annihilation of culture in the US inevitable?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Is the destruction and annihilation of culture in the US inevitable?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Is the destruction and annihilation of culture in the US inevitable?  (Read 4842 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2016, 06:22:04 AM »

an Upper East Side socialite who has been fawmed over in NY media circles since she was a child and has admitted to some odd sexual experiences involving her younger sister

Are you talking about a fictional character or an actual person here? The former wouldn't be great (especially since as I understand it Girls is supposed to have a very realistic tone), but at least it wouldn't be the latter.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2016, 06:28:12 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2016, 06:50:33 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

an Upper East Side socialite who has been fawmed over in NY media circles since she was a child and has admitted to some odd sexual experiences involving her younger sister

Are you talking about a fictional character or an actual person here? The former wouldn't be great (especially since as I understand it Girls is supposed to have a very realistic tone), but at least it wouldn't be the latter.

Now, how did simfan log into your account?

Of course Queen Lena is real!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2016, 07:02:10 AM »

There are a couple "social" issues on which I'm probably closer to Simfan than to most red avatars at this point, yeah.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2016, 11:51:13 AM »

I'm talking about Dunham herself. Girls actually DOES have a fairly realistic tone in how it portrays some issues common to young women (at least in my interpretation. It's remarkably blunt and clear-eyes about things like sex, dating, relationship issues, body positivity, etc) but I've always chafed at its celebration as "THE show about Millennials!!" When it really just tracks four privileged New York girls and their experiences. Not that it's a terrible show, it's just it's not a quintessential story of young people like its promoters want you to think it is.

As for Dunham... While I lean towards "some" of her views politically, I chafe at the way she's rocketed to the top of the industry thanks to assists from heavy hitters like Judd Apatow, especially after I read up on her charmed upbringing amongst some of Manhattan's heaviest social hitters and how the New Yorker used to do reports on her extravagant birthday parties. As a child.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »

As for Dunham... While I lean towards "some" of her views politically, I chafe at the way she's rocketed to the top of the industry thanks to assists from heavy hitters like Judd Apatow, especially after I read up on her charmed upbringing amongst some of Manhattan's heaviest social hitters and how the New Yorker used to do reports on her extravagant birthday parties. As a child.

Ugh. Modern pop culture is sick.

The only time I saw Dunham (on a Daily Show episode) she sounded fairly nice and down-to-earth, but apart from that I don't know anything about her. Girls is not the kind of show I'd be interested in personally, but it seems like it could have a good social influence.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2016, 12:21:13 PM »

Girls is awesome. Like almost as good as Family Guy.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2016, 01:57:02 PM »

Ugh. Modern pop culture is sick.

The only time I saw Dunham (on a Daily Show episode) she sounded fairly nice and down-to-earth, but apart from that I don't know anything about her. Girls is not the kind of show I'd be interested in personally, but it seems like it could have a good social influence.

Out of all the actresses right now celebrated for their positive feminist influence, I think Jennifer Lawrence and Amy Schumer are both more talented and do more interesting projects than Lena Dunham, and also seem less full of themselves (to me at least). Schumer in particular has impressed me with her range and influence beyond her pretty dark stand-up routine and touches on some of the same body positivity themes that Girls does.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2016, 02:53:51 PM »

J-Law is awesome, yeah. Haven't seen anything with Schumer, but I had a good impression from what I've heard.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2016, 06:05:30 PM »

J-Law is awesome, yeah. Haven't seen anything with Schumer, but I had a good impression from what I've heard.

Her stand up is great (she was, since I can't vouch for her latest special, basically a female Anthony Jeselnik), her show is solid for a sketch show (though it's no Key and Peele) and Trainwreck was pretty funny.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2016, 06:17:26 PM »

Girls is awesome. Like almost as good as Family Guy.

This is accurate, but not in the same way that BRTD intended.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2016, 07:54:52 PM »

Hell I'd go so far as to way that I have more in common culturally with the people in the scene in South Africa than I do with other pasty whitebread white people in the Midwest who have never heard of the scene...

If you had really understood ingemann's post, even you would be hesitant to claim this.

Well I'll admit that might be a bit far fetched, but saying that the vocalist of Being as an Ocean has more in common culturally with me than Keystone Phil certainly isn't.

When I deal with a fellow Dane, we get the same cultural clues, which foreigner often don't. Let me come with a example, I read a foreign (American) article about Denmark, in this he saw the fact that so many used bicycles in Copenhagen as a sign of poverty. A Dane would see a entire different signals, here's the fact you use it on the way to work a sign of status. You show you have control over your life by using more time in the morning to go to work, you show you're environmental and that you' focus on your health. Everything people does are cultural symbols and clues, a wheat bread is a sign of a unhealthy diet, rue bread is a sign of healthy diet, to such a degree that giving you children wheat bread in their pack lunch makes the other parents look down on you.

In the same way you and Keystone Phil would get many of the same cultural clues, which the vocalist or I wouldn't necessary get.

Cultural are the overarching element of a society, a subculture is something which exist below it, which can't replace it, because it lacks the universality of a culture.

But the guy in the band I'm talking about is also an American, as said he lives in San Diego. So yes he would get the same cultural clues as me and Phil. My point is that being an Italian-American puts him in a different culture than me, supposedly, but he clearly has more in common with me than Phil, due to the shared subculture.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2016, 03:00:17 AM »

Her stand up is great (she was, since I can't vouch for her latest special, basically a female Anthony Jeselnik), her show is solid for a sketch show (though it's no Key and Peele) and Trainwreck was pretty funny.

I should watch Trainwreck. It's easier to catch up with a movie than a show (I have a long to-watch list already) or stand-up (can't see when I'd be able to see one).
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2016, 01:40:09 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2016, 02:44:33 PM by PR »

Girls is awesome terrible . Like almost as good bad as Family Guy.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2016, 11:43:56 PM »

His supporters were almost exclusively completely assimilated, detached from their heritage and ancestries, white people.

Not sure this applies to the conservadems who gave him victories in states like Oklahoma and West Virginia...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2016, 12:36:48 AM »

His supporters were almost exclusively completely assimilated, detached from their heritage and ancestries, white people.

Not sure this applies to the conservadems who gave him victories in states like Oklahoma and West Virginia...

You mean the people who just answer "American" as their ethnic background on the Census?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies