Best intercity transport: bus or train?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:24:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Best intercity transport: bus or train?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best intercity transport: bus or train?  (Read 1417 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 02, 2016, 11:58:20 AM »

For the ones who don't have a car and don't want to pay for an airplane ticket, which is the best way to travel to other cities: bus or train?

Advantages of the train:
Safer
More comfortable
Predictable time, not affected by traffic jam

Advantages of the bus:
Low economy of scale (trains are profitable only if the number of passengers is enough)
More choices of time. Each train carriage has the size of a bus. A train with six carriage is like six buses. One train can departure only on a certain time. Six buses can departure on six different times.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 01:31:38 PM »

For the ones who don't have a car and don't want to pay for an airplane ticket, which is the best way to travel to other cities: bus or train?

Advantages of the train:
Safer
More comfortable
Predictable time, not affected by traffic jam

Advantages of the bus:
Low economy of scale (trains are profitable only if the number of passengers is enough)
More choices of time. Each train carriage has the size of a bus. A train with six carriage is like six buses. One train can departure only on a certain time. Six buses can departure on six different times.

Another advantage of the train, if it matters to you: trains are faster, so it's not just predictable time.

However, as you hinted at in your advantages of the bus, trains only go to certain areas while there are buses probably to all major and medium size cities with feeder buses going out from there.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 02:08:58 PM »

I love intercity trains. I don't know anyone who likes intercity buses, but they're not nearly as awful as they used to be.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 03:11:35 PM »

I occasionally ride the Lincoln Service between St. Louis and Chicago, and it really is so much better than driving the same distance.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 05:05:20 PM »

Amtrak is a neglected, underfunded, under maintained disgrace.  And it's as expensive as flying.

In the US you should avoid long distance train travel outside the NE corridor.  You might be days late if you take the train.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 06:28:22 PM »

I used to take Amtrak's Texas Eagle between Chicago and Ft Worth a few times a year, Never had a complaint, Except when getting stuck behind a slow freight that had priority.
When I was much younger I took Greyhound from Ft Lewis WA to Dallas TX, not fun.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 07:17:03 PM »

WI: Ferry

Admittedly this isn't an option for landlocked folks not nearby big rivers, but this is easily cooler than buses or trains.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 07:51:27 AM »

Maybe, the declining costs of the air travel is making the trains less important.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 05:58:10 PM »

There is no such thing as "best" intercity transport: the question is too generally posed. The right answer is that under some circusmstances and for certain purposes trains could be better than buses; in other cases and for other purposes buses could be better than trains; and in still other cases reasonable people could disagree: it would be a matter of subjective preference.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 03:43:28 PM »

Trains are much more enjoyable. However, they are more expensive. So, just like any choice with life, it comes down to cost vs. comfort.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2016, 05:18:13 AM »

Train (normal/sane).

Buses are the worst form of public transportation. Still better than cars of course, but that's a low bar.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies