SB 2016-006: Muslim Brotherhood Terrorist Designation Act of 2016 (Passed Sen.) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:15:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2016-006: Muslim Brotherhood Terrorist Designation Act of 2016 (Passed Sen.) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 2016-006: Muslim Brotherhood Terrorist Designation Act of 2016 (Passed Sen.)  (Read 1850 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« on: July 03, 2016, 10:50:12 AM »

I'd like to thank Classic for answering our questions, and hope that the Senate will take a deeper look at this bill than the House did- It was disappointing that a vote on a national security issue was a simple party vote where few House members discussed the issue, and simply pushed it aside. I hope the Senate doesn't do the same thing.

I have a number of concerns over this bill.

+ The evidence provided was not 'credible'. The site mentioned- the Clarion Project is a well a know anti-Muslim group as outlined by the Southern Poverty Law Centre who said...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The document was a book from 1991; at the same time groups like the IRA, FARC and others were also publishing 'terrorist literature'. Should we outlaw those groups as well? We can't make such a broad sweep based on a single book- from a Federal trial that fell apart in 2007, and was then re-tried in rather suspect circumstances. I'm happy to into the court case in more depth, but it really shouldn't be held up as anything good.

+ Citing the Government of Syria, Bahrain and Russia as hallmarks of what we should follow in the Middle east is well not very convincing for me considering well the obvious faults with those governments.

I've yet to see any evidence that the Muslim Brotherhood is a terrorist group. It's an awful group, that has curtailed civil liberties and has been a force opposed to Progress. I've yet to see any evidence- aside from a 1991 book that they're a terrorist

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 03:00:30 PM »

Well that's certainly stretching it- the 2008 case (which had some questionable outcomes) was about funding Hamas through charitable givings to the Gaza. Nothing to do with the Muslim Brotherhood.

This is what I want Senators to understand- there's no evidence that the Muslim Brotherhood is a terrorist group towards Atlasian citizens.

If anyone has a Jstor login (You need to be a University/College student) you can read this brilliant paper from Robert Leiken. I'll give Senators some quotes that give an accurate view of the Muslim Brotherhood...

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 05:16:04 PM »

Actually, the Holy Land Foundation Case was about the Muslim Brotherhood and Hamas. The FBI states "HLF became the chief fundraising arm for the Palestine Committee in the U.S. created by the Muslim Brotherhood to support Hamas."

https://www.fbi.gov/dallas/press-releases/2009/dl052709.htm

Again, it's a stretch to say that the Muslim Brotherhood is a terror group because a fundraising committee it set up in 1991 is being used by Hamas (the Government of the Gaza) It's like saying that me as a UK citizen is responsible for the US foreign policy if I donate money to a US charity
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 02:04:27 PM »

Do other Senators have any thoughts on this bill?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 01:27:07 AM »

It's worth asserting for the 10th time there is no credible evidence that the Muslim Brotherhood is a terrorist group, there is none what so-ever. Let's rule with our heads guys,

Nay
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 02:47:08 PM »

Worth noting that if my colleagues change their vote to Nay this bill will not pass, rather than pass with only 50% of the Senate
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 03:20:37 PM »

Dear Mr President.....
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom